SBE II shooting too tight

JPN800

I recently bought a SBE II for duck hunting, And i like it for that. I took it out today to the local skeet range and put in the ***** choke (skeet) and couldn't hit anything :mad: . I feel that it is shooting too tight of a pattern. I then picked up my Franchi and was doing fine. Which leads me to belive i need a different choke or something. Please give any insight to help me out.

[ 03-12-2006, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: JPN800 ]

I am going to be buying a new shotgun in the next couple of weeks, and could use some advice. I am looking at the SBE II and love the way it feels, but am concerned about what I have read about it not cycling light loads consistently. I have read that the M2 handles the lighter loads better. I want this to be the last shotgun I purchase, so I want to purchase wisely. I will use the gun for shooting clays, turkey hunting, and possibly some duck hunting. I may want to buy a slug barrel eventually as well. Any recommendations from owners would be appreciated. :confused:

Doubtful the SBE II is too tight with the skeet choke.

Much more likey the POI does not match the POA.

I have to fudge with my drop spacers all the time on my SBE II. It shoots 70/30 with the A, 60/40 with the B, 50/50 with the C, and 45/55 with my homemade D (best for me for ducks).

My Browning BPS shoots 50/50 all the time. No spacers to adjust, so I guess I got lucky.

Go pattern it and see if it hits where you are aiming. Make adjustments from there.

You can also look into the higher cheek pad if that helps you.

mudhen - CA

Hey Frenchie,

The SBEII is not designed to shoot "light" loads. Benelli specifically recommends nothing less than 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz loads. It's an inertia driven shotgun. Meaning it has to have sufficient recoil to cycle. Light loads, especially in a new gun, may not cycle. Some guns will cycle 1 oz. loads after a sufficient break in period but don't count on it. It's a hunting gun so expect it to perform accordingly. With normal hunting loads you should never have a problem.

Originally posted by mudhen:

Doubtful the SBE II is too tight with the skeet choke.

Much more likey the POI does not match the POA.

I have to fudge with my drop spacers all the time on my SBE II. It shoots 70/30 with the A, 60/40 with the B, 50/50 with the C, and 45/55 with my homemade D (best for me for ducks).

My Browning BPS shoots 50/50 all the time. No spacers to adjust, so I guess I got lucky.

Go pattern it and see if it hits where you are aiming. Make adjustments from there.

You can also look into the higher cheek pad if that helps you.

mudhen - CA

Thanks i just installed the c shim and i "think" the sights line up better for me, I didn't even know what those were for :confused: . What do you mean by 70/30 or 50/50. sorry for the dumb question. Hopefully i will try it again on sunday.

I just picked up my new M2 today and it looks great. I cleaned it up and am all ready to shoot this weekend. What type of shells did you shoot through yours when breaking in? I typically shoot an O/U Lanber with the cheap Wal-Mart Federals, but am willing to step in up for my new investment. The manual recommends standard "field loads", but that could mean 3" or 2-3/4". I want to break it in right from the beginning. Please let me know. I can't wait to squeeze a few off, the gun is awesome, and I think I got a fair deal at $977.