NOVA CHOKES

WARSHARD

I AM CHECKING OUT TURKEY CHOKES FOR MY NOVA AND MIKED THE CHOKES I RECEIVED WITH THE GUN: BOTH THE MODIFIED AND THE IMPROVED CYLINDAR WERE WITHIN CLOSE RANGE OF THE BENELLI CHOKE SIZES FOR THESE TWO CHOKES, BUT THE FULL TUBE MIKED OUT AT .675--.685 (X FULL TO TURKEY ). ACCORDING TO THE CHART I HAVE FOUND ON THESE CHOKES, THE FULL SHOULD MIKE OUT AT .695--IS THIS UNUSUAL--CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS--

I am confused. Could you expound on exactly what are you finding unusual? The extra full turkey is reported (when I asked Benelli a couple of years ago at least) to be .678. The full choke is different (larger) than an extra full and it possibly could be .695 (I don't know what it is supposed to be for sure). I must be missing what you are talking about.

I CHECKED A CHOKE SIZE CHART ON CARLTON CHOKE'S WEBPAGE: THE TUBE IN QUESTION IS MARKED FULL, BUT THE DIAL CALIPER READINGS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE FROM .675 TO .685. THE CHART PROVIDES A SETTING OF .695 FOR FULL CHOKE. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE STOCKED BENELLI CHOKE I HAVE WITH THESE LOOSE TOLERENCES IS JUST AN ODDBALL CHOKE OR IF IT IS NORMAL.

Chokes are NOT an exact science. In fact, I have been instructed that the way they are manufactured and chosen to be classified as modified or improved or whatever has more to do with how they actually fire (post manufacture) than any specifications that the tubes are made to.

Stay safe...

Tacman

CHOKES AS ANY OTHER PRECISION-MACHINED ITEM FOR QUALITY PURPOSES ARE TO BE HELD TO SPECIFIC TOLERANCES--AS I STATED IN MY FIRST POSTING, BOTH THE MODIFIED AND IC CHOKES ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY WHEREAS THE FULL TUBE IS OFF IN PLACES AS MUCH AS .020--HAS ANYONE CHECKED THE BORE OF THEIR FULL TUBES. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE SIZE OF MY FULL TUBE IS SPURRIOUS OR COMMON FOR ALL BENELLI FACTORY FULL CHOKES--