SBEII Choke Peeling on inside???

Paolo

I just finished cleaning my SBEII and I noticed that the inside of my choke looked dirty and this was after I cleaned the barrel. So I took the choke out and after inspecting it, I noticed the inside of the choke is not dirty but peeling like crazy! 30-40% of the finish on the inside has peeled. My SBEII is just a year old since I purchased it new and I have only used this IC choke once this year (less than 30 rounds through it) using steel shot only (BB, 2, 3, & 4's). All other chokes seem to be fine. I'm going to call Stoeger Canada tomorrow and see what they will do. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume it was just a defect in the choke manufacturing process.

Paul

I noticed something similar on my gun today and made a post about it before I had read yours. The outside of my choke is peeling, just below the threads. It looked like metal shavings. It just seems to flake right off. This was the first weekend that I was able to really put it to use. This weekend I put 2 boxes of BB's through it. total I have maybe put 4 boxes through this choke since I have purchase the gun. Not sure if the inside of the choke is peeling or not. It looks worn even after I have cleaned it.

It's NOT plastic for sure ... you can actually feel a groove that goes into the choke as though it was peeling. If it was plastic build up, it would be more like a bump (build up). You can actually see the metal discolouring where it is peeling. I'm calling them today to get some feedback.

Paul

[ 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Paolo ]

Originally posted by Paolo:

It's plastic for sure ... you can actually feel a groove those goes into the choke as though it was peeling. If it was plastic build up, it would be more like a bump (build up). You can actually see the metal discolouring where it is peeling. I'm calling them today to get some feedback.

Paul

Would you want to try that again?

You seem to be contradicting yourself. :confused:

What? An Italian manufacturer having a problem with chrome plating flaking off? 1990's 4-valve Ducati owners may know something about this...

It could very likely be bad plating. It happens on occasion. At worst, the plating vendor may have changed their process with negative effect, but then the problem would be wide spread. More likely, there was a problem with the run that produced your choke, and no one noticed that things were not quite right.

Take a 12ga bronze bore brush and put it in an electric drill.

Hold the choke in your hand and stick the brush inside.

That's the only good way I've found to clean plastic out of the choke.

I know you say it's metal plating that's coming off but at least try this method.

I was fooled by the plastic. I thought it was plating coming off.

At least give it a try.

I had a similar situation with the IC choke on my SBE II. The plating on the outside of the choke started flaking and peeled off. The plating was peeling right from the factory. This choke was in the gun when I bought it, and I never fired the gun with this choke. I called customer service and they said that there was a problem with the plating on some of the chokes and they sent me a new one (not plated). Give cutomer service a call and they'll fix you up.

• 3 weeks later...

This is F'n ridiculous :mad: ! I've called twice now (Oct 3rd & Oct 23rd) and left a message with Stoeger Canada and I have yet to recieve a phone call back. It's the same guy that never calls back. I always speak to the girl who answers the phone and even she gets angry because he never calls back customers. Benelli USA won't do anything cause I'm in Canada ... what am I suppose to do? :confused:

Paul

Originally posted by Paolo:

I just finished cleaning my SBEII and I noticed that the inside of my choke looked dirty and this was after I cleaned the barrel. So I took the choke out and after inspecting it, I noticed the inside of the choke is not dirty but peeling like crazy! 30-40% of the finish on the inside has peeled. My SBEII is just a year old since I purchased it new and I have only used this IC choke once this year (less than 30 rounds through it) using steel shot only (BB, 2, 3, & 4's). All other chokes seem to be fine. I'm going to call Stoeger Canada tomorrow and see what they will do. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume it was just a defect in the choke manufacturing process.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

MbBullet ... I've had my buddy who works in a Tool & Die shop look at it and it definitely is a problem with the metal. It is NOT any buildup. Yes the choke is always screwed in tight, I'm always checking it throughout the hunt. As I mentioned, this choke only has at MOST 30 rounds through it.

What pisses me off most is the fact that Benelli (Stoeger Canada) won't return my calls :mad: and Benelli USA won't do a thing!!!

Yeah I could easily purchase a new choke BUT it's not the point.

***I just left a 3rd message for them as I typed this message***

Paul