shotgun rounds for home defence

waffenmacht

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, but have been a long time gun owner and member of many other forums. Basically I am trying to learn more about combat shotguns, and just purchased my first Benelli, its an older Hk M1 S90.

First of all, I fired several types of buckshot, and steel shot rounds through this weapon over the weekend, and they all fired fine. Even the low recoil stuff worked great. So my question is, what do you use for home defence/combat rounds in your shotgun and why? I am looking for an affordable, 00 buck with lower recoil.

Also, I seem to have 3 chokes with this weapon. Which should i use with 00 buck?

[ 05-02-2006, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: waffenmacht ]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

000buck, 2-3/4,,,Full Power,,none of this sissy low recoil sh*t,,,you want to stop the problem Now,because there will be no time to worry about overpenetration and recoil and all that other nonsense they say,,adrenaline will take care of recoil ;)

[ 05-07-2006, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

oohhhhh :eek: you had some Qs,,sorry got carried away,,,,,first congrats on your Benelli purchase,,fine choice smile.gif second:Wolf ammo makes a great 00buck round and affordable too and last but not least,,the choke preffered is modified,why????????because its the middle of the road choke,,handles either buckshot or sluggggers well,,, :cool: smile.gif ;)

[ 05-02-2006, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

I agree with the full power loads, but IMHO the term "home defense" is a very broad. I consider it to mean that I am in my house, and someone has entered illeagally and intends to cause me or my family harm. In that case my choke of choice is cylinder bore with a shot size of BB or larger. Due to the close distance (less than 20') the pattern still won't be very large and the shot will be incapacitating. Personally I load 1st round in chamber is OO buck, then a slug, then finish out with OO.

Thanks for the replies. You guys are right about "home defence" being a broad term. I guess, I am looking for a good, all-round 00 buck, that will be the best choice for any situation. Most likely, the round will be used in my home, for the above scenero, but I also often carry a long arm in the trunk of my car, so its possible, it could be deployed in an out-of-home scenero. I carry a handgun at all times, but as we all know, a shotgun or rifle is a better choice for combat, although less convienant or practical for daily carry.

- I will definately look at the federal tactical low recoil buck.

- M1014, I do agree with you in that, if in an actual use of force situation, the recoil wont be an issue with adrenaline flowing. Very good point. However, I plan to train a bit with this weapon and get comfortable with it, so the low recoil stuff might be good for training?

I like twelve pellet winchester supreme XX 2 3/4 OO buck (X12XC0B5), it is a real crowd pleaser.

If I am in a home defence senerio against a hardend aggresor I like rottweil/brenneke MP slug (211 5514 ) it will punch through anything out to fifty yards. The winchester is not the cheepest but how often will you be in a life and death home defence situation? Use cheeper stuff to practice with like estate cartridge. good luck.

add on--

#1 shot has the best potential ballistic performance, but to achive that potential the shot must be hardend and preferably buffered. I am unaware of any manufacture who is currently producing it.

Hi all,

My favorite duty load used to be a Federal 2 3/4" magnum #1 buck....20 pellets of .30 cal..at close to 1350fps...it was a great manstopper...I don't think it is available now...at least I haven't found any anywhere.

But currently, in my duty M1 14" entry Benelli, we are using Dept. issued Ranger #4 standard 27 pellet load. OK I guess, but not my first choice. In my personal M1, 14" (with the p/a muzzle brake), I am using Winchester or Remington #1 standard 16 pellet loads...

We're still doing some patern testing for both my personal M1 and my son's new 18" 870 Express we just built... test results to follow...

Take care,

JJ

jj

Curious if your M1's have anything tighter than cylinder for choke. I haven't really paid attention to that stuff until recently since I acquired my own M4. Have to ask the armorer what the breaching guns have.

Support your local PJ

Hey AFPJ,

I assume that your screen name might translate to "Air Force ParaJumper"...if so, way cool career calling...

Anyway, both my duty and personal M1's have straight cylinder bores...as far as I can tell. Neither has any screw-in choke system. I have only patterned the duty Entry 14" so far, and that was with our issue duty load, the Ranger #4 buck 27 pellet load.

With that load, at 15 yds...which is about the max we will use that weapon....it is able to keep most all the pellet load 'primarily' in the center mass of the standard B-27 targets we use. We do have Ranger 1oz. standard velocity slugs available, but if that became necessary, we would most likely transition to a rifle...

My team does not use breeching rounds, they are only aurhorized for our SWAT team... I don't have much info about them...or their dedicated weapons..

I will be patterning my personal M1 soon, and I'll post up all those results if anyone is interested...I'm very curious to see if the p/a muzzle brake has any effect on the patterns...I was planning on testing all the test loads in both the Entry and my personal to see what differences may be present...Right now my personal M1 is loaded with #1 buck, Remington standard 16 pellet load...but that may change!

Take care,

JJ

[ 05-07-2006, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: jjgi5150 ]

Don't know about anyone else but I would be very interested in those results. Especially if you can also compare with your son's 870. Wonder how much difference 4 inches of barrel makes at close quarters. I don't know about muzzle breaks on shotguns...they're supposed to have no affect on patterning??

Support your local PJ

• 2 years later...
I like twelve pellet winchester supreme XX 2 3/4 OO buck (X12XC0B5), it is a real crowd pleaser.

If I am in a home defence senerio against a hardend aggresor I like rottweil/brenneke MP slug (211 5514 ) it will punch through anything out to fifty yards. The winchester is not the cheepest but how often will you be in a life and death home defence situation? Use cheeper stuff to practice with like estate cartridge. good luck.

:eek: what kind of neighborhood do YOU live in? Usually here all they want is your TV or stereo.

I use W-W reduced recoil tactical loads with #4 Buckshot in my Benelli. I strongly suggest you take your new gun to the range along with an assortment of loads and actually pattern it to determine where it patterns in relationship to where you aim. It will also help you select the best load for your gun. I chose the particular load I use because it patterns great in my gun and it shoots to point of aim with good coverage of the silhouette targets I used in patterning.

ive said this before, ill say it again. a typical home intruder is a dried up dope head hoping to steal grannys ssi check for some drugs. people make it sound like russia is invading your front yard with full auto weapons and kevlar vests. if you have to shoot an intruder , its only going to take one shot to stop him. whether your loaded with winchester AA #8s or 3 1/2mag 000 buckshot. your typical range of engagement is going to be less than 30'[feet]. if you fire a load of 00 or 000 in your house, those pellets can pass through interior walls of your home and possibly kill members of your family, or a neighbor.if this happens YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH INVOLINTARY MANSLAUGHTER, AND WRECKLESS ENDANGERMENT, intruder or not. the best advice ive ever been given was by a retired FBI agent. he told me to use a small cal hand gun with saftey bullets. they explode upon penatration leaving only fragments that will not pass through walls. if your going to use a shot gun, use a low velocity round, and small pellets. patterns are not an issue when you are talking about a range of 15- 20 feet.i my self am loaded with federal 2 3/4" heavy game loads #7 1/2. but to each his own.

I'll second your opinion, I think that people can overthink the home defense situation. At in home ranges just about anything coming out of your shotgun is going to have all the power you would need, so it is really more of a question of penetration. If you are surrounded by houses then you really have to think about where your rounds would go if they overpenetrate or you simply miss. If you are in a rural area then you have much more freedom to choose high-power slugs or buckshot.

Several years ago I purchased a couple boxes of Federal Home Defense loads. Actually said that on the box and on each hull. I believe it's loaded with #4 shot. I really liked the fact that it was marketed by a major ammunition manufacturer for "home defense" use. If I ever do find myself in a need to use them, there should be no

accusations that I used inappropriate ammo.

Don't know of Federal still sells this load.

Yeah, unfortunately, the ultimate answer regarding the best shotgun load is always going to be "whatever you find patterns best in your particular weapon." That's something you're only going to find out by buying a bunch of different brands and trying them out on the range. Okay, that'll cost you some money, but then again, you get to go shooting for a good cause, right?

SplashTX is on the money, though, you do want to watch overpenetration if you live in your typical urban or suburban neighborhood. Double-ought, let alone triple-ought, buck is all well and good for the SWAT types who go into hostage situations where neighboring buildings have been evacuated, but as a private citizen, you might want to look at #1 or #4 buck instead. For HD purposes with a 12-gauge, Massad Ayoob recommends 2¾" #4 buck, even though the options are much wider in 00-buck.

One way around that, though, is to determine in advance the fire lanes in which you intend to use your shotgun in an HD scenario. Let's face it, hunting intruders in your house is bad idea; you're better off establishing a single defensive position and engaging anyone who tries to breach it while you call 911 and wait for the cops to arrive. For example, I live in a split-level house, and any home invader would have to come in through the front door, the rear deck or the ground floor windows (unless they brought their own ladder). The common factor here is that, no matter which way they got in, to get to the master bedroom they'd have to come down the same hallway. So obviously, all I have to do is cover that hallway with my longarm. As it happens, any projectile fired from the master bedroom end of that hallway down the hallway, were it to travel the length of the house and penetrate the outer wall, would miss the house next door (due to a curve in the street) and bury itself in the hillside behind the behind the next house over. But absent that, I could build a backstop at the end of my fire lane to prevent pellets/bullets from leaving the house.

whats really funny, is how a lot of people insist on 0,00,000, buckshot and slugs .if they ever HAVE to shot someone with it , they will spew thier toe nails up when they see the results. and likely end up having to move away from thier home to escape from the memory. take my word for it, its not like they depict it in the movies.not even close.