shotgun rounds for home defence

waffenmacht

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This video expresses my sentiments on birdshot for home defense...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTompmRE-8&feature=related

I don't think people understand why the people that use "birdshot" for HD. If I was single without kids,no neighors, or had brick ex. walls, then I would use buckshot no questions asked. BUT I'm not single, and I have kids so overpenitation is a big deal to me. I man on that video was show you walmart 8 shot junk. It does compare to the birdshot I use. I use 1 1/4 4 shot max dram. Is it buckshot. NO. But at the right distance and the right choke it will work.

7 yards or less ( and more likely Less) will be your first chance to fire. Most likely the distance will be under 10 feet. Just think about what would do at 10 feet with a mod. or full choke. It would at least slow you down which would give me time to think. I think the more time you have to think is the most important thing to think about. Not whats in your gun.

Novaking

I have been using Breneke home defense rounds to test through my M4 and all are working great. I have a fair amount of supply now; however, I was wondering what else some of you are stocking for home defense that is not quite as expensive. Still learning about my M4 so please excuse my question; however, can I use chokes on my M4 and if so, where should I purchase them.

thanks

I have been using Breneke home defense rounds to test through my M4 and all are working great. I have a fair amount of supply now; however, I was wondering what else some of you are stocking for home defense that is not quite as expensive. Still learning about my M4 so please excuse my question; however, can I use chokes on my M4 and if so, where should I purchase them.

thanks

If your M4 accepts them and you have NOT BEEN using them, then maybe you can't anymore, as you will quite possibly have royally buggered the threads where the choke installs by now.

Nice site. You do your homework and I respect your knowledge and research. I don't know if you have kids or family in your house but I picture my kids head on the back side of that drywall which one doesn't understand until you have kids yourself.

From your research I will which to buckshot after my kids are out of the house or maybe my third round I will switch to buck.

Novaking

Nice site. You do your homework and I respect your knowledge and research. I don't know if you have kids or family in your house but I picture my kids head on the back side of that drywall which one doesn't understand until you have kids yourself.

From your research I will which to buckshot after my kids are out of the house or maybe my third round I will switch to buck.

Novaking

Using tactics that minimize their exposure to stray fire works well. Firing from the kneeling up to chest/neck on an assailant will keep your kids safe unless they are jumping on the bed or you are Yao Ming II's dad. Also keep in mind where they are in the house. (Don't shoot/set up where their room is your backstop).

not to keep the arguement going, but ive seen first hand what a mild load of bird shot out of just a 20ga can do.its not instant death like buckshot would be, but it was very lethal to say the least. ive started loading my 12ga with a hi-velocity duck & pheasent load 3 3/4 drams, 1 1/4 #BB for the first shot.a 2 3/4" 00 mag for the second, and 3" 000 mag for the third. i realize a lot of experts on the subject dont recommend using bird shot for h/d, but i have my opinions, just as they do. its not right or wrong, its just different veiws.i think to best answer to the question would be...use what ever your the most comfortable with. i know people that will use only a baseball bat.crazy you ask? yes, but thats what they prefer to use.

• 1 month later...
Federal Tactical Low Recoil Buck is the best I've used

And I always keep a full choke in my m4 ... I'm used to rifle rounds and precision shooting, so I try to keep my patterns as tight as possible, to get that extra bit of distance and density.

But you'll get many different answers to that question.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered 250 rounds of the federal from ammoman. Will this ammo work well with the stock choke in a M4?

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered 250 rounds of the federal from ammoman. Will this ammo work well with the stock choke in a M4?

It should, but each gun/choke/ammo combination yields different results. For instance, I just sent back $180 worth of Kick's Ind. choke tubes because they wouldn't pattern as well as my $30 Primos Dead Deer tube. Are Kick's tubes bad? No, MY M4 just didn't like them. YMMV is VERY TRUE when it comes to shotguns/ammo/chokes.