M1 Field 20 ga.

Talon

I am thinking of buying a M1 Field 20 ga. in Advantage Timber HD for duck hunting (with steel and Kent Tungsten Martrix) and small game / upland hunting (squirrel, rabbit, dove, and grouse). I'm curious to hear from current owners of this shotgun. Have you used it in these hunting situations? What do you think of the durability of the camo finish? Plus your overall impressions of this shotgun. I currently duck hunt with a Rem 11-87 SP 12ga., but would like to add a versatile 20ga. to my collection. Please advise.

I own a M1 Field 20 ga. in advantage timber HD and a M1 Field 12 ga. in advantage timber. I love them both. I use my 12 ga. for duck hunting and goose hunting. Early season pheasants i love to carry the 20 ga. It is extremly light and easy to pull up and shoot. I love the camo finish, i have a few scratches on my 12 ga. but i have had that one for a few years. I think if you are shooting heavy loads for the 20 ga. it would work great for ducks. Love the gun. Wouldnt trade it for notthing

M1hunter, Thanks for the insight. I currently duck hunt with a Rem 11-87 and have had great success, but the gun is quite heavy. I also have a Rem 1100 LT-20 2 3/4", which I enjoy small game hunting with, but the chamber size and the fixed improved cylinder barrel render it fairly useless for ducks (it's more of a squirrel, rabbit and close-in dove gun). The M1 Field 20 interests me because of its light weight, smooth action (and from what I've heard, near absense of felt recoil), it's 3" chamber and it's five choke tubes, not to mention the cool weather-proof camo finish. With a 3" chamber, Tungsten shells and a modified (or full, in the late season) choke tube I think it would make a nice duck gun. It seems that you would agree. Have you shot steel from the M1 field? I'm assuming it has a steel-safe barrel/chokes.

I hunt all my waterfowl with my M1 12 ga. and shoot steel through it all the time. I use the modified choke all the way through unless I late season goose hunting. It for sure has steel safe chokes and I'm pretty sure it's a safe barrel too. There is almost no recoil at all to the 20 ga. When I pheasant hunt im normally shooting 3" shells with a pretty heavy load and I hardly feel the recoil. I think its a great choice.