Shell catcher for Supersport

guywildstorm

No I haven't myself but a local gunsmith told me that any modification to the factory standard model invalidates the warranty. So I'm relying on hearsay maybe! I had a different gunsmith shave down the bolt handle so it would pass over the snap-on shell catcher [which was a standard Beretta catcher] on a M1-90 I owned and used for trap. Our club requires shell catchers on all auto's. I traded that gun for the Sport II and use the rubber band method. It's not the best especially in cold weather up here trying to dig out a spent hull inside the action with winter gloves but it works about 90% of the time. The rest of the time the spent hulls bounce off of or close to whoever is on my right side.

• 3 weeks later...

Guy, assuming you bought one and tried it by your comments. In reading the description, I couldn't really picture how this catcher works and is inserted in the action. Can you describe it a little better? I have a Sport II so I assume it would be compatible as with the Supersport model. Thanks for your comments.

Geno, it is not inserted into the action. It attaches to the outside of the action via double stick tape. There is a small wire arm that flips up to catch the empty shell and you can adjust this by slightly bending it. If you want to shoot doubles you simply fold it down out of the way. If you want to take it off all you have to do is pull the wire out of the bracket that is attaced to the action via the tape. The small frame for the catcher stays attached and only the wire catcher pulls off. Hope this helps.

Guy

Thanks-that helps. Can you remove the bracket entirely when not shooting trap-for visual reasons if nothing else-or does the double stick tape weaken if you do so? Is the wire arm that catches the shells distracting/visable in your eye sight when mounting the gun and shooting? Thanks much!

Guy, just following up. I received the shell catcher over the week-end and have not taken it out of the packaging yet. It appears from the instruction sheet the self adhering tape is pretty much permanently attached to the receiver based on the comment that to remove it the gun needs to be soaked overnight in solution. I don't know that I want one of these hanging on my Sport II since they are such nice looking shotguns and I only shoot trap once a week-the rest is sporting clays including NSCA and field hunting. If all I did was trap, maybe no problem. What is your experience? You can get a catcher "made" for a Benelli by T/S Industries but you have to purchase an extra bolt handle and ship it to them so they can machine it so it passes over the shell-catcher, but at least you can remove the components-thanks for your comments!

Originally posted by Geno:

Guy, just following up. I received the shell catcher over the week-end and have not taken it out of the packaging yet. It appears from the instruction sheet the self adhering tape is pretty much permanently attached to the receiver based on the comment that to remove it the gun needs to be soaked overnight in solution. I don't know that I want one of these hanging on my Sport II since they are such nice looking shotguns and I only shoot trap once a week-the rest is sporting clays including NSCA and field hunting. If all I did was trap, maybe no problem. What is your experience? You can get a catcher "made" for a Benelli by T/S Industries but you have to purchase an extra bolt handle and ship it to them so they can machine it so it passes over the shell-catcher, but at least you can remove the components-thanks for your comments!

Geno - I also shoot trap and have been using a Super X Model 1. I had a T/S catcher for one season and when I took it off I found that its slight movement back and forth caused by recoil and the action closing had worn some streaks in the bluing. I replaced it with a Catch-It shell catcher over five years ago and haven't regreted it. After a while you get to accept it as part of the gun. The good news is that it covered the streaks in the bluing. I am looking forward to getting one for my new M2.

Thanks fellow Badger, I'm from Appleton-you? So the shell-catcher becomes permanent-I don't think I want to use it if that's the case, the Sport II has a silver receiver and is too nice looking to hang attachments on it-at least for my tastes-do you want to buy the one I just got-it's still in the package it came in. I think I'll go the T&S route instead-I had one for my M1-90 and it worked pretty good. Thanks.

The Save-It base is easily removed by spraying WD-40 around it and waiting a few minutes. Of course, the next time you want to use it you'll have to reapply two-sided tape.

They work well but the T&S is a better bet. Get one for a Beretta and have a notch cut into the bolt handle. Pretty slick.

Geno - I am located about 32 miles N-NE of Lambeau Field, better known as Oconto. I just got back from trying out my M2 on trap and I'm definately interested in a Catch-It shell catcher. My light 1 1/8 ounce trap loads send the empties flying, sometimes up against the leg of the guy to my right. I will try to email you, but being new to this forum and a forum format, my techno knowledge sucks.

Model-12. I know the area, my brother owns land on the River, I shoot clays at Little Creek now and then, and I'm a season ticket-holder at Lambeau. How do you like the M-2? I have a e-mail in to T&S to see if their shell-catcher will fit a Sport II Benelli and hope to hear today. I'll hold the Catch-it until I find out-send a note back just by clicking on the add reply option below. If it works out, I'll send you the Catch-it first to make sure it works for you. It cost me $17.50 plus shipping-would an even $15 be ok? If it does pan out, you can send me a check or cash to my house-I'll give you the address later-let me know. Thanks.

Geno: Sounds like a deal on the Catch-It. I like my M2 except for the matte "bluing" on the barrel. It seems to scratch like it's paint. The gun shoots great and felt recoil is less than my gas SX1 even though it's heavier. The M2 came with a little cast off and the stock fits me like a glove. Let me know when you want to part with the Catch-It.

• 2 weeks later...

Model-12, I tried the Catch-it last night and it did not work. The second shot I fired caused the spent hull to completely disengage the shell catcher from where I mounted it on the receiver and it ended up on the pavement next to the empty hull. I re-attached it a couple times with the same results. It doesn't seem the double sided tape has enough adhesion to secure the shell catcher in a stable position. I did clean the attachment point with rubbing alcohol per the instructions but the results were not as anticipated. Any comments on this compared to your exerience? Thanks.

Model-12. See the comments I just made on the shell catcher for SBE post. I won't be selling you the Sav-it catcher from Birchwood Casey but you can order one on-line from them. Maybe Gander or Scheels stocks these in their stores as well but I've never noticed one. Good luck-let me know how it works when you get it.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...