Tool for Magazine end cap removal

ALSmoothBore

Spent a couple of days in the rain in Arkansas recently, and need to get my magazine spring out for cleaning on my SBE II. The manual says to use the "right tool" for removing the retainer cap, and I obviously don't have one. Does it just pull out, or is it screwed in? Needle nose pliers work? Any input appreciated. Thanks....

It will pull out.

Stick a small screwdriver in the center hole and pry up one side, then the other until it "walks" out.

Be CAREFUL!

When the cap comes out, the sspring will fly out.

Keep your other hand cupped right on top of the tube to prevent flight.

[ 12-04-2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Thanks for the quick and accurate responses. I'll walk it out tonight. While I've got the ear of a seasoned SBEII user, what about taking the fore end elastic retainer clips and washers out? They got all wet as well, and as they butt up against the barrel ring, I noticed a little rust right there. Do you recommend taking them off the fore end, (and how?) or just trying to get the rust out with a q-tip, rag, etc. Thanks again...

Originally posted by ALSmoothBore:

Thanks for the quick and accurate responses. I'll walk it out tonight. While I've got the ear of a seasoned SBEII user, what about taking the fore end elastic retainer clips and washers out? They got all wet as well, and as they butt up against the barrel ring, I noticed a little rust right there. Do you recommend taking them off the fore end, (and how?) or just trying to get the rust out with a q-tip, rag, etc. Thanks again...

You can take them out or just oil them up a bit and clean up with a brush.

Mine get a little rusty, no big deal...

mudhen - CA

Thanks, I guess I'll just use a brush, and not try to take them off the forend then to clean. One more novice question...before I do as suggested above about cleaning the recoil tube assembly, is the owners manual clear enough on how to do that, or can you experts provide any first-time tips on getting into the guts of the recoil tube assembly? Thanks again for all the great info...I love my SBEII, and want to keep it going for a long time....