Benelli Recoil

EricStricklin

I've been hunting/plinking since I was probably 7 years old. Even though I'm still a young man the past year or so I have had the worst time dealing with recoil. Probably due to a shoulder injury I had in a car wreck. I neve cared for an overpriced Benelli at all until I heard a few months ago they have considerable less recoil and are lighter. I want a pump action I can shoot clays with and not lay in the recliner in agony the rest of the day. I would even consider a 20 guage. Don't really want to spend more than 400 bux either. Any help from you Benelli owners would greatly be apreciated.

I seen a Nova for 300 dollars, salesman said he could get me a Super Nova with comfortec probably around 450. Just don't know if its worth it or how much it would reduce recoil compared to my old Winchester 1200. Also there is something on the Benelli website about a "recoil reducer". ....?

Eric..I'm not try'n ta steer ya fromBenellis...cuz I'm a M3 & M4 nut myself...But M3s/M4s are still kind'a up there on the price range...& thier recoil is comfy for me...& I kind'a tend ta stay away from the shoulde kickers....

But if ya like pumps....I shoot a Remy 870 PMax Police mag....& the Gel pads they use aren't bad...but I tried the Knoxx Shock absorber stocks & they really take the stomp out of mag loads..

A buddy of mine has a Super Nova with all the anti kick stuff on it...& I couldn't tell much diff..& I really couldn't tell any diff with heavy mag loads..

...I tried a Knox Spec ops & a Copstock folder..& it was like nite & day difference...

I got one of the Knoxx Door breacher Pistol grips on one of my Little Shorty PolMags ..& it compares to my 410.......

Ya might try a Nova...but call me a *****(Female vagina)...but it still kind'a stomped a mudhole in my shoulder....If ya look around..you can find a few Novas used on Arfcom or some other forums for less than $400...One went for $275 on Arfcom the other day...

....Otherwise..spend the money & buy ya a M4..You won't regret it..& if ya don't like it...Theres plenty of people that will buy it back from ya..they're fast sellers....I'm not sellin' any of mine...I'm leave'n my body ta science..& both of em are be'n superglued to my chest...:)

I'll add that the M3s are pump or automatics...So if ya like pumps..they shoot either way & no prob with lighter loads.....but still..kind'a pricey if your look'n at $400 max...

[ 07-25-2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: StarLynx ]

Well I don't care for 870s much at all. Just personal preference. Maybe with an aftermarket stock and such they might be suitable. As for the M4 I definately do not want an Automatic. I also don't see where the M3 or M4 would reduce recoil anymore than a Supernova. I mean they both use comfortec so...I don't get it?

The m4 is gas and it has a pistol grip.

Instead of a stationary bolt that blasts into your shoulder when you fire, the m4 bolt goes back into the recoil tube, where the spring slows and stops it, then sends it back for another shot. This means it feels much nicer than any pump I've ever used.

Also, having a pistol grip means you take a lot of the recoil out in your hand, and not in your shoulder.

And why don't you want an auto? Afraid of jamming? If so, then you don't know benelli.

Yes I understand the idea of the gas operation of the M4. A pistol grip might be a good idea, I have strong forearms despite my bad shoulder. I'll bet the pistol grip is available in a Supernova.

I'm not afraid of malfunction of any kind from an automatic, especially from the ID system. (It seems to be durable and simple.) I just like a pump. I don't need an automatic anyway. I always say autos are for those who miss because I grew up with single shots haha But for the record I have owned some Autos all of which have been reliable.

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by Duggan:

The m4 is gas and it has a pistol grip.

Instead of a stationary bolt that blasts into your shoulder when you fire, the m4 bolt goes back into the recoil tube, where the spring slows and stops it, then sends it back for another shot. This means it feels much nicer than any pump I've ever used.

Also, having a pistol grip means you take a lot of the recoil out in your hand, and not in your shoulder.

And why don't you want an auto? Afraid of jamming? If so, then you don't know benelli.

+1--Benelli autos are great, especially the gas operated M4/M1014. The recoil on my M1014 is nice and easy, even with 3" mags and slugs.

I am new to shotguns and guns in general. Purchased a new M4 11707 just a week ago and took it out to shoot the other day. Using reduced recoil 00 buck (9 pellet 2 3/4 in. ) the M4 was an absolute joy to shoot. Recoil was really negligible and not even noticed. I am NOT a gun guy or big guy by any means.

I was worried beforehand, as the week before I shot a Remington 870 Express Magnum with pistol grips that about ripped my hands off. (Since ordered the Knoxx COPstock !) Belt me in the shoulder and knock me over if you like, but as a weekend musician I really need to guard my hands. I therefore decided to go with just the reduced recoil buckshot to get used to the Benelli. Looking forward to see how it handles the heavier loads.

Again I am no expert, but the M4 is everything it is advertised as being. What an amazing shotgun. Hope you can acquire one at some point Eric !

Originally posted by Duggan:

... any given shell will have considerably less recoil in an m4 than in any other shotgun to date.

Really? Have you actually done direct comparisons with all of the other soft-shooting shotguns out there? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've never heard anyone say this before.

[ 07-25-2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: harrydog ]

I say that loosely.

I've used franchis, mossberg 500s and 590's, like 10 remington 870's, an h&k m1, a saiga 12, ithaca POS, the remington 1100 or whatever model they make that is autoloading, a nova pump tactical and even the infamous spas-12.

I don't know if the m4 is THE softest on the market, I just know that it is considerably more comfortable to shoot than any other shotgun I have used.

• 2 weeks later...