10 Gage S.B.E.

steinco

10 Gage S.B.E.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. 10 Gage S.B.E.

You're killin' me Drundel!! that was good ... I do agree though! A 67ga. in an auto-loader is a bit rediculous (in my humble opinion). I think a 28ga. offered in one of the auto designs would be a breath of fresh air to their line-up.

Heck, a 10ga. would suit plenty of situations ... especially when considering guys that are overloading their 12ga. bores with a ton of shot packed into a 3-1/2" mortar round.

[ 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: birddog ]

I would like to see them make a 10ga. It has been my experience that the 10 bore will pattern large shot sizes better than a 12 bore and the SBE fits me much better than any of the Brownings. I would also like to see them make a 28 ga. auto loader.

[ 04-27-2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: ohio waterfowler ]

There's nothing obsurd about a .410 auto loader, how's it any different than a .22lr auto loader? Except for the cost of .410 shells, it has many attributes some find perfect. Such as low weight and recoil for my wife, very small shot pattern (great for me honing my skills) and also is great to keep from shooting up the small game too much.

I see no reason for the M1014, but obvious some people like 'em... (to each thier own)

Here's my semi-auto .410 (remington 1100 with full barrel set).

410.JPG

A semi-.410 has it's place and I don't think you need weed or ridiculous ideas in your head to desire one. Heck, I'd like a 28 ga. too! Why can't I have them both, afterall, it's my dime?

I had an experience when I was 15. I was invited to hunt bunnies in Indiana. I showed up with my dad's 16 ga. and was practically laughed out of the field. My gun was called a howitzer, bazooka and cannon. These good 'ol boys from Indy loved their 1100 .410's for bunnies and after seeing them head shoot 12-14 that day, they made a believer out of me. Since then, I've wanted a semi-.410 and why not a Benelli, since we all agree it's the best semi out there right now.

Not that I've got something against the .410 guys - I have three of them but they don't get used at all anymore. Justly so, where I'm coming from here is that my grandmother used a SxS Ithaca for grouse, pheasants, woodcock, ducks and even geese back in the day and to say that 3+ shots are needed out of a .410 auto-loader just doesn't make too much sense to me. In manufacturing and sales terms I think that the maketability of .410 would be slight at best even though some of us want to see one on the rack ... like I stated before I'd love to see a 28ga. (and a 20ga.) on the SBE frame but the reality of it gets lost somewhere between here and there ..

still think the 10ga. is a great idea too.

for what its worth..

I wouldn't personally ever use a .410 for anything larger than dove, quail, rabbit, or squirrel except in survival situation. I like 28 gauge's too, but I've stuck with .410's because my favorite small mammal gun is my Savage 24 .22lr/.410 so a semi-auto .410 for skeet and small birds makes sense. Their only draw back is the high price of ammo for them.

If I shot steel shot more often, I could see the benefits of a 10 gauge, but for me, the added size, weight, and recoil of a 10 gauge, I just wouldn't use it much. Like I said, if I can't drop 'em with a 12 gauge (even a 3.5" if needed) then I won't likely drop 'em with a 10 gauge...

Maybe we'll both be lucky and they'll make 'em both!!!

Originally posted by ohio waterfowler:

I would like to see them make a 10ga. It has been my experience that the 10 bore will pattern large shot sizes better than a 12 bore and the SBE fits me much better than any of the Brownings. I would also like to see them make a 28 ga. auto loader.

I'd like to see a 10 gauge from Benelli or Beretta or Franchi.......I currently own a Browning Gold Stalker 10 bore for Goose & Turkey hunting. The "Mighty" 10 has out performed ANY and ALL 3-1/2" 12's I have shot, owned or my friends currently own! It has killed Geese "DEAD" at 60+ yards when the 12's only knock out feathers. I've owned Ithaca, Remington, H&R and assorted SxS 10 bores in the past & the only downside I see is the increased weight.

I'd also like to see a 28 & 16 gauge......I love the 16 for 90% of my upland bird hunting and currently own several "classic" 16 bores.

Regarding .410's they should only be used on the skeet field or for teaching kids to shoot. These guns IMHO should NOT be used for any game including quail or doves! Unless you are willing to shoot ONLY birds within 15 yards (and most people are not) a .410 is a wounding machine.

Case in point.......I used a .410 O/U last January on a GA quail hunt and shot 33 birds with 48 rounds fired. Some would say a darn good afternoon hunt! But I told the plantation owner I would never shoot the .410 again on quail because I watched at least 10 birds fly away injured and could not be found. I'll stick to my 28 or 20 gauge for small game, especially doves and quail.

I just sold my remington sp10 after 7 years of shooting it . 1 -there too heavy 2- ammo is stupidly expensive" 30.00 for 10 bismouth" 3-ammo isn't sold every where very hard to find up here 4- I dont know . I have made some pretty iffy shots with but they weren't necessary just impatiant. I would like to see .410 though . 1100's don't fit me at all . GO .410

A gun is only as good as the shooter, that's the way it is, and the way it always will be. I know deer shooters (note the lack of the word hunter) that will fire 5 to 10 shots at a running deer. I'm not keen on single-shots, but I sure don't see the use for more than 2 shots at an animal. If you can't hit it in two shots, then you likely need more practice. The same applies for wingshooting. A person must know what they can reliably drop thier quarry at or don't shoot. Everybody has had a wounded bird get away, and it doesn't feel good. However, yes, you can take a quail in particular at 25 yards very often with a full-choked .410. Yes, I do shoot further with my 12 gauge.