SBE II break-in?

msm1018

From your owner's manual...

WARNING: due to precision machine tolerances on your shotgun, some breaking-in period may be required before your new gun works perfectly with light target loads. If you experience any initial functioning problems, we recommend firing three or four boxes of standard hunting loads to allow for this break-in period.

The break in for my SBE was a round of 50 sporting clays. I started out by shooting the first 4 stations with 3" max dram hunting loads (not sure on the weight of shot, but I want to say 1 5/8 oz). After those four stations I switched to 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz field loads (which is what I always shoot). Never a problem with those. And, once my round of 50 was over, a guy I was shooting with was impressed with my gun and handed me two Mini-Max (?) 7/8oz 2 3/4" shells...cycled them very well!

The only problem I've ever experienced with my SBE and cycling was on this initial break-in using the 3" shells. On station 3, I had my second shell cycle so fast that it jammed against the ejecting first shell. Haven't had that ever happen with all the other ~400 shots I've put through it with 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz.

-Steve

I do not have the recommended loads posted here, would I be able to correct the FTF problem (if I have one) after I have shot a few hundred rounds through the gun? I have 2 boxes of 3" mag, max dram, 1500 fps, 1 1/8 oz shot. Those will be my first 50 rounds.

Benelli explicitly defines the recommended minimum loads as 3 drams / 1-1/8 oz. shot.

This is on the website in the specifications for the guns as well as in your owner's manual.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that your gun will cycle loads lighter than the recommended minimums, although many people have sucessfully done so, after initial break-in.

Break in the gun according to the manual, then see what it will do with lighter loads.

If it cycles, count your blessings. If it doesn't, don't complain that the gun is defective, because you're asking it do things it wasn't designed to do.

sbe2-specs2.gif

mi SBEII never had the break-in period, just shot two round of skeet the first day and although I often have FTF(2/100) while shooting at geese, I dont regret buying it.

I still shoot quail with the SBEII and 7/8 international skeet loads @1375 ft/s and it works flawless.

before the SBEII I owned a urika and after shooting the benelli I´ll never go back.

from down the border, JOE

• 1 month later...

Your post is interesting. My SBE II cycles 2 3/4" shells just fine. I've shot about 50. But I had the same problem with 3" shells. It only jammed on the second shell and only when I had three loaded. I hope it will be seriously "broken in" on Saturday...the first day of dove season.

Dennis D. Carter

Originally posted by heavy4x4:

The break in for my SBE was a round of 50 sporting clays. I started out by shooting the first 4 stations with 3" max dram hunting loads (not sure on the weight of shot, but I want to say 1 5/8 oz). After those four stations I switched to 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz field loads (which is what I always shoot). Never a problem with those. And, once my round of 50 was over, a guy I was shooting with was impressed with my gun and handed me two Mini-Max (?) 7/8oz 2 3/4" shells...cycled them very well!

The only problem I've ever experienced with my SBE and cycling was on this initial break-in using the 3" shells. On station 3, I had my second shell cycle so fast that it jammed against the ejecting first shell. Haven't had that ever happen with all the other ~400 shots I've put through it with 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz.

-Steve