Old M1 S90 questions

Waldo1

I lost my composure while holding an earlier, used 12 ga M1S90 the other day. It has the 26" VR barrel with chokes and wrench, a mag extension and straight synthetic furniture. H&K import markings on the right side of the receiver, knurled steel rod bolt handle. Recoil springs feel light for a 12 Ga, especially when compared to a new M3, so it may need new springs. Serial# range looks like 77,3XX if that helps. Gun has a couple of small dings on the receiver, but does not appear to have been abused. Can anyone shed any light on what I have, any info on updates, manufacture dates, improvements or recalls that might be good to know about?

Stay safe,

Waldo1

[ 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Waldo1 ]

OK, How about this; The receiver and bolt are marked "Benelli Armi System". Receiver is marked "Heckler & Koch Inc., Arlington Va". On the base of the receiver it looks like 'PEF' 'FINITO' and then the letters 'AU' inside a box. When did Benelli begin chroming their barrels? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Waldo1

Tucker- Excellent response with the pic, but that guy is Principal Pedophile or whatever his name was. Ben Stein played Ferris' dead-pan teacher who called role. I do appreciate the help guys! I'll undoubtedly have more questions as time goes on. I'm no expert by a long shot, but cosmetically the major difference between this gun and the new ones I've seen has been the knurled bolt handle on this one. Have their been any major changes or product updates since this model was made in '89? Anything that should be changed for safety's sake? I noticed that the shell elevator on this one is designed differently and may be less prone to 'bite' when loading- we'll see.

Thanks again!

Waldo1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally picked this up the other day and I think that I did OK. Manufactured in 1989 (thanks again M1014!), M1S90, H&K import stamp on the right side of receiver. 26" VR barrel with green (Tru-Glow?) fiber optic sight, 7 round magazine, black synthetic furniture, knurled knob bolt handle, wrench, 5 choke tubes (may be Benelli, but not explicitlymarked as such) plus an extended 'Extra Full' turkey choke, and sling. Minimal blueing wear on the bolt rails and the inside of receiver, same for the face of the bolt-head. No rust or problems evident in the recoil spring or tube. Receiver has a few nicks/dings in it that look like transport/storage issues. Inside of receiver had what appear to be small chips of bark and flakes of leaves inside, but was pristine in every other respect. The previous owner also liked to bulldoze through the thick sh!t- I think I like him... The trigger group retaining pin has no marks/scratches/wear and it does not look like it had been removed often for cleaning, if at all. All of these factors lead me to believe that this gun has been used/carried, but not shot a great deal. I broke it down to components and cleaned/lubed all assemblies (a film of Lubriplate grease on the bolt rails). I'm very impressed with the design and hope that it shoots as well as it was intended. It was $650 for everything out the door.

Hi M1014,

Is there any special sequence for determining production dates? I purchased mine in October 1986. My H+K imported Defense Benelli is marked (AP). It's an all black M1 Super 90 with pistol grip, 7-shot magazine, 19+1/4 inch barrel with plain rifle sights. At the same time, I purchased the matching black 28" ventilated barrel with screw in chokes and a standard stock. Yes, the recoil spring feels weak, but I have fired hundreds of rounds including British 2+1/2 inch loads up to 3" magnum (all mixed up) and numerous fast 8 shot strings, with absolutely no problems. My Benelli looks sort of plain compared with your dressed up M4's but I love it anyways.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod