26''or 28'' Barell

Jprice

I have decided to purchase an M2, and need to decide which Barell length to get. I will do mostly dove and quail hunting with the gun, but will also do some duck and pheasant hunting as well. What would be the best length in these circumstances and why?

The longer the barrel the smoother the swing in my opinion. I went from a 28 inch M-1 to a 30 inch Sport II and although I've only used the Sport II last week-end duck hunting here for the opener, shot clays with it all summer and averaged around 46 on Sporting and 23 on trap for what that is worth. It also depends on your size and strength, I'm 6' and about 190. Good luck-let us know what you get and how it fits/works.

Jprice,

I would use the 28" barrel. Before I bought my SBEII with 28" barrel, I spent about half-hour shouldering the 28" and the 26" SBEII.

I would quickly bring the gun to my shoulder and while swinging the gun to sight something on the wall or ceiling.

In the end, I felt more confident with the 28" barrel.

Most of clay shooters prefer the longer barrel for the same reasons Geno put in his post above.

There is no answer to your question. It is strictly your preference.

Regards threeshot

[ 10-07-2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

I am using a 30" Sport II for clays & a 30" Super Sport for all my hunting. I like the longer barrel for a smoother swing. My SBE is a 28" in gun & if they made a 30 in barrel for it I would have one. I feel the Benellis are a lighter gun so the longer barrel helps the swing. The main thing is though , get the gun that feels the best to you.

Originally posted by DUKFVR:

I am using a 30" Sport II for clays & a 30" Super Sport for all my hunting. I like the longer barrel for a smoother swing. My SBE is a 28" in gun & if they made a 30 in barrel for it I would have one. I feel the Benellis are a lighter gun so the longer barrel helps the swing. The main thing is though , get the gun that feels the best to you.

Here's some info which explains it concisely:

Barrel Lengths

Contrary to some opinions, longer barrels do not shoot "harder" or "further" than shorter barrels. Barrel length is really a matter of personal preference and often depends on terrain and the type of game you are hunting. Generally, longer barrels aid in pointing and are often preferred for pass shooting waterfowl and shooting targets such as skeet, trap and sporting clays. Shorter, more compact barrels can provide faster handling and are often chosen for hunting upland birds, turkeys, deer with slugs and buckshot.

I think you really need to look at what areas you will be hunting. Is it wide open scrub where a 28" barrel can swing easily or is it thick, tight brush where a 28" barrel can be difficult to handle. I hunt thick areas for pheasant and open areas for dove, so I compromised and went with a 26" barrel. One thing to note is that with the inertia recoil system, the Benelli is quite long in the receiver. My M1 with a 26" barrel is as long as my friends 870 with a 28" barrel. Fit, comfort and confidence go hand in hand.

TC

Originally posted by popapi:

I'll tell ya like Tom Knapp told me for all around go with the 26 in barrel.Gone

OK, here's the deal - forget the 24" or 26" debate. how about the 32" barrel extension. The first time I saw this, I thought it was a joke. Who would ever use this?

Hastings® "Metro" Barrel Extension

[ 10-20-2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Chief 79 ]