Avoiding "Benelli Thumb?"

GeeTen

Hi all,

During reload drills with my M2, I seem to get my thumb hit by the carrier as I seat rounds in the magazine tube. Is there a technique that can help avoid a "Benelli thumb" (a la Garand Thumb)? Or is there a replacement part for the carrier that will make life much nicer? Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

TIA for your help,

F.

8-)

there is hope for the dreaded Benelli thumb,,,,,theres these guys out west that modify the lifter or you can simply train yourself to pull staight back instead of staight down after each shell is loaded,,theres even a dvd on the straight back method,,excellent dvd on mastering your shotgun. ;)

Benelli Thumb happened to me too, a lot. I wish they had a lifter like the Remington 870.

I did find a solution though:

Keep your thumb STRAIGHT when you put a round in.

And that's it. Do NOT BEND your thumb. If you BEND your thumb, it will get caught.

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

Originally posted by Duggan:

Is the m4 lifter different?

I have never noticed anything hurting my thumb when I load shells.

you're just a good natural loader Duggan,,all the lifters are the same since about 1989 when they finally ran out of 121 parts ;)

I just loaded 7 rounds for the **** of it ... didn't get caught at all, or even remotely caught.

+1 on the keeping the thumb completely straight. I bend my thumb back if anything.

I'll make a vid of the "proper" method (the method that has worked for me for many, many rounds) in a little bit if I feel motivated.

Hey Duggan,

As always, your wise council is always appreciated. I was inserting my thumb into the mag tube (bad habit from reloading the Mossy pump too much), getting my thumb and nail hit by the lifter. Great thread and video.

"Now do you see, grasshopper?" :D

Many thanks,

F.

8-)