Benelli in Canada

Shotgun Freak

Shotgun Freak,

I have the M1014 (M4 limited edition) and LOVE it. It is versatile, works across various loads, and is accurate as heck. It is a great tactical gun for me and I enjoy using it at the range or in tactical training / deployment. My next step is to try some new optics on it for faster target acquisition. You would enjoy this one if you buy it. Get a good tactical sling and enjoy! Stay sfae,

Tacman

I hit targets with slugs at 100 yards and that is plenty for my tactical purposes. I don't plan to engage at distances farther than that with a shotgun. I would switch to my AR. I also own the M1 Practical and that is a great gun, too - a lot longer barrel with increased capacity in the mag. Will get you more range and velocity, but harder to deploy tactically because of the longer barrel.

I looked at lots of optics and decided to get a Hakko for now. Japanese company that makes the ACOGs for Trijicon at a more reasonable price. I got the single power BED-24 with multiple reticles it is basically a red dot with optional reticle shapes that mounts to the M1014 rail. http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/dot.htm It is really meant for close to mid distance engagements where speed is important, though the red dot may be sighted in for distance. I chose it because the others were more of looking through "a tube" mounted on the gun which would take longer and mean I had to conform to a specific position to sight properly. With the Hakko, I can actually see the sight more quickly and readily from a variety of positions. The optics thing is a real personal choice, so look around at all ther is to offer. If you want a scope with power, try the variable Leupold CQ/T, but watch out for the cost. Good luck.

Tacman

Originally posted by Tacman:

Hi Tacman,

Looks like your the only one reading my posts smile.gif

Canada has quite stringent gun controls. I called two gun dealers and they say the M4 is restricted/prohibited in Canada. Hoever, I called the Canadian Firearms Certificate ( CFC ) run by the government and they say the M4 Super 90 is legal in Canada.

I checked the Benelli website, but it does not have the Super 90 listed. Do you happen to know what that model entails ?

I would like the folding buttstock and pistol grip with 18.5" or 470 mm barrel. In Canada, it has to be 470 mm long or it is restricted.

I still do not know where to order a catalogue in Canada and it is driving me nuts smile.gif

Thank you,

SF

SF,

Super 90 is a designation given to a whole series of Benelli's including the Montefeltro, M1, M3, M4. The best explanation is found on the European website: http://www.benelli.it/Storia/ Here is the euro site home address in english if it get confusing:

http://www.benelli.it/Home.asp

E-mail the moderators where to get the gun or check the dealer locater on the sites.

By the way, in the US, the gun is sold with the folding stock but it does not fold! Has to do with our assault weapons laws and having a pistol grip and other features at once. If you notice the euro version has an expanded mag tube as standard, not the dinky US version. Not sure on Canada's laws - you need to check it out.

Hope this helps...

Super 90 explnation from site:

In 1985 Benelli introduced Super 90 model which can not be considered a new gun even though it differs in some mechanical and operational details of great relevance. It is a step further in a process which takes into consideration incessant demand from the shooting public. On the whole, it is more versatile and safe, highly reliable and practical. In the earlier auto Benelli shotguns, the cartridge in the barrel could be replaced with another not stored in the magazine by actioning the bolt manually, as the magazine is blocked by an inertia lever. Only a fired shot allows a cartridge to come out of the magazine, it is deposited on the carrier latch and onto the barrel. As a result it is not possible to load the barrel with the first cartridge of the magazine, unless it is previously manually extracted. Super 90 adopts a different solution: a magazine stop, mechanically operated, is controlled by a second cartridge drop lever which compels the first one to lock the receiver. When firing, the hammer spring swings the cartridge drop lever upward disengaging it from the carrier latch. The cartridge, as it is deposited on the carrier, presses against the carrier latch, thus rotating it in the opposite direction and blocking the exit of any other cartridge. This mechanism, so complex when it has to be described, is extremely simple when it operates.

Tacman

[ 09-23-2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Tacman ]

Hello and thank you!

You are really helping me out, the Italian site is much much better !

Here is an interesting link for you:

http://club.guns.ru/eng/hkm4.html

I contacted BenelliUSA by phone and got a catalogue mailed to me directly.

I did find out that the M4 Super 90 is legal in Canada, however; the distributor in Canada advises me Italy will not ship them here. Italy feels they should only be shipped to Military or Police buyers.

Strange ! The saga continues and I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

SF

Originally posted by Shotgun Freak:

quote:

Hello and thank you!

You are really helping me out, the Italian site is much much better !

Here is an interesting link for you:

http://club.guns.ru/eng/hkm4.html

I contacted BenelliUSA by phone and got a catalogue mailed to me directly.

I did find out that the M4 Super 90 is legal in Canada, however; the distributor in Canada advises me Italy will not ship them here. Italy feels they should only be shipped to Military or Police buyers.

Strange ! The saga continues and I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

SF

[ 09-23-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Demokratikos ]

Dear Shotgun Freak:

First, ignore my previous post blunder.

The dealers are right, and the Government is lying to you. Bureaucrats like to use the phone--no records, except theirs. Get it in writing. That way, after you get out of prison, you can sue. In the meantime, get the list of the restricted/prohibited weapons in the regulations attached to the Canadian Criminal Code, and monitor the website of the Canadian Firearms Center. FYI, part of the list... the weapons in the paragraph are prohibited and the list comprises the exceptions.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order No. 11

The firearms of the designs commonly known as the Benelli M1 Super 90 shotgun and the Benelli M3 Super 90 shotgun, and any variants or modified versions of them, with the exception of the:

(a) M1 Super 90 Field;

(b) M1 Super 90 Sporting Special;

© Montefeltro Super 90;

(d) Montefeltro Super 90 Standard Hunter;

(e) Montefeltro Super 90 Left Hand;

(f) Montefeltro Super 90 Turkey;

(g) Montefeltro Super 90 Uplander;

(h) Montefeltro Super 90 Slug;

(i) Montefeltro Super 90 20 Gauge;

(j) Black Eagle;

(k) Black Eagle Limited Edition;

(l) Black Eagle Competition;

(m) Black Eagle Slug Gun;

(n) Super Black Eagle; and

(o) Super Black Eagle Custom Slug.

The Italian Government's attitude is no surprise. They've been wrenching guns from people's hands ever since Mussolini turned anti-gun in 1931. The post-war Italian governments have been so pleased with this Fascist law that they continue to "improve" upon it. The objective is to keep guns out of the hands of anyone other than the Government and the Mafia. Look forward to similar developments in Canada.

D.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Where can a Canadian order a Benelli Shotgun catalogue ?

What do u people think of the M4.

I understand MCSOCOM will be replacing their Remington and Mossberg with them.

Thank you,

Shotgun Freak smile.gif

Hello,

Thank you,

Shotgun Freak smile.gif

Hello,

Thank you,

Shotgun Freak smile.gif

[ 10-24-2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: hc ]

Originally posted by hc:

quote:

Hello,

Thank you,

Shotgun Freak smile.gif