SBE 4 shot mag extention

maze51

I just bought the 4 shot mag extention for my SBE and I am having difficulty figuring out how the extention tube attaches to the original shell tube. One end of the extention is threaded and the other is not. I have done some extensive searches on this matter and have come up empty, I just discovered this forum site and hope someone can offer some help. My intention is to make a psudo quick conversion to an M-4 for home protection.

Thanks for your input

on the M1/SBE 4 shot extension its completly hallow if the threading your talking about is a collar that is a ring around the end of the tube then thats the part that you attach to the orignal tube you simply thread it down

however before you do that you need to look for 2 pieces 1 is a small black metal cap about the size of a nickle with bent edges and a whole in the center. this is the top cap for the very tip of the extension tube and of course you have to have your spring so IMHO replace the stock spring with your new +4 spring let it hang out, drop the top cap *nickle sized black bit* down the tube, and then put the end of the spring down the mag tube, when it works right the spring will push evenly against the extension cap and push it into place at the top of the tube from there just do some careful feeding of the spring into the 2 parts of the mag tubes and then when you get it all together screw the coller down onto the orignal threading on your basic mag tube

now if i've missed something and your saying the tube itself is threaded and doesn't have the collor that i was talking about then i'll have to do some homework on it for you

BTW please note if you do get it on successfully *and i hope you do* make sure you have/get/use the extension clamp, those 4 extra shells can actually be enough weight to warp or bend the tube as a whole with out the reinforcement of that barrel to mag tube clamp

PS. I stated that the little black cap has rounded edges if you think of the cap as a U then you put it in upside down so that the rounded end is at the top

hope i could help

Wulf

Lupinus Nobilitas

[ 03-03-2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Wulf ]

________

magic flight

Edited by Wulf

Originally posted by Wulf:

on the M1/SBE 4 shot extension its completly hallow if the threading your talking about is a collar that is a ring around the end of the tube then thats the part that you attach to the orignal tube you simply thread it down

however before you do that you need to look for 2 pieces 1 is a small black metal cap about the size of a nickle with bent edges and a whole in the center. this is the top cap for the very tip of the extension tube and of course you have to have your spring so IMHO replace the stock spring with your new +4 spring let it hang out, drop the top cap *nickle sized black bit* down the tube, and then put the end of the spring down the mag tube, when it works right the spring will push evenly against the extension cap and push it into place at the top of the tube from there just do some careful feeding of the spring into the 2 parts of the mag tubes and then when you get it all together screw the coller down onto the orignal threading on your basic mag tube

now if i've missed something and your saying the tube itself is threaded and doesn't have the collor that i was talking about then i'll have to do some homework on it for you

BTW please note if you do get it on successfully *and i hope you do* make sure you have/get/use the extension clamp, those 4 extra shells can actually be enough weight to warp or bend the tube as a whole with out the reinforcement of that barrel to mag tube clamp

PS. I stated that the little black cap has rounded edges if you think of the cap as a U then you put it in upside down so that the rounded end is at the top

hope i could help

Wulf

Lupinus Nobilitas

Wulf thanks for your help, I thought that may be the way it went together, but what threw me was the end of the extention tube will be left open showing the little black cap with no cover. I'm surprised they designed it with no cap on the end.

Thanks again

Ran into one more problem, and it may just be my ignorance. On the threaded piece of the extention tube there is a extended piece that has a slot that could possibly be for a sling. The problem is when you slide the forearm on, the barrel has to go on next and you can't thread the extention piece on because the extended piece hits the barrel as you start to thread it. I am soooooo confused, it just can't be this complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, if you intend to hunt with it in this configuration, you'll need a plug for migratory birds and waterfowl. I have one listed for less than I paid for it and it's never been used. If you're interested it's listed here:

3 shot limiter plug for SBE/M1

I can't help you much with the installation. I too bought one, but then decided it'd be too heavy to carry in the field and would change the center of balance (not to mention I couldn't use the additional capacity for migratory birds) so I never installed it. I sold it long ago, but still have the plug.

Mods, I didn't see anywhere that I couldn't list stuff for sale, or outside links. If that's not the case please delete this posting and accept my apologies.