SBEII during dove season

Waylon

Very proud of the SBEII, I got 3 limits of doves in four hunts. :eek: This gun shoots like no other gun I have. I took several "doubles" and didn't miss very many shots in range. However, the first 3 days I didn't clean the inertia system. When I finally cleaned the gun it started to jam shells. Is it the residual oil? I didn't leave much on the spring. It almost seems as if this gun will shoot better...........dirty?!?!?

Waylon,

I've never shot mine that dirty, but I don't think that's going to be the case.

I also don't think the choke tube will have any relevance to the issue either :confused:

What kind of solvent(s) and oils are you using?

Have you removed the stock and cleaned/oiled the cycle mechanism?

My typical post-session maintenance is as follows, and I've never had a hang, even with 7/8 oz. loads.

1. Remove forend cap and separate barrell and forearm from receiver, removing bolt group as well.

2. Clean barrel with snake using Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner. Run snake through until bore is shiny and clean.

3. Using a clean cotton cloth and a small amount of cleaner, wipe off all surfaces of bolt group, trigger group, and internal receiver surfaces. Make sure all residue and dirt are removed, especially from the back end of the receiver where the fork engages the cycle mechanism.

4. Apply a drop of Benelli oil to all friction and pivot points, then wipe until all excess oil is evenly and thinly dispersed on all surfaces. NEVER leave anything to the point of dripping with oil!

5. Inspect all parts for wear and re-assemble.

6. Check action for proper function and dry fire once, cycle action by hand and dry fire once more to relax spring.

7. Wipe down all external surfaces with oiled cloth, then follow with dry cloth.

The only other maintenance I've ever done was to clean the cycle mechanism, fully disassemble and clean the bolt group, remove and clean the trigger group.

All of those are cleaned and oiled in the exact same manner as the routine parts, but I only do them if they've been exposed to undue moisture or excessive dirt. Otherwise, it's maybe three times a year.

This is all very simple and basic stuff, and I'm sure you already knew it, but it never hurts to overkill with good info.

If the problem persists, contact CS.

PS: Good Shooting!!

[ 09-08-2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by Waylon:

Very proud of the SBEII, I got 3 limits of doves in four hunts. :eek: This gun shoots like no other gun I have. I took several "doubles" and didn't miss very many shots in range. However, the first 3 days I didn't clean the inertia system. When I finally cleaned the gun it started to jam shells. Is it the residual oil? I didn't leave much on the spring. It almost seems as if this gun will shoot better...........dirty?!?!?

:cool: Ok Your weapon is malfunctioning after you cleaned it. I had a few problems also until I determined that a small piece was the problem.

Ok check your manual for more info if this does not make sense. the head pin has a reference line and must be aligned with the bolts centerline. If this line is not in the correct postion that may be your problem.

I too cleaned my weapon once I got it and had a few malfunctions but after reading the manual I noticed the head pin was not lined up as the manual advised. Once I corrected this I had no further problems.

Commando: The mark is on one side of the pin head...I've noticed that as long as this mark is parallel to the bolt it's fine...ie: the mark can be on the forward side or the rear side. If the mark is not parallel, the firing pin will not go in...period. Did you have problems with the mark either in the forward position or rearward position??? Just wondering. I think we had a thread on this awhile back and determined it did not matter which side the mark was on as long as it was parallel....just trying to run it down to ground....what's your experience been??

Originally posted by Commando:

quote:
Originally posted by Waylon:

:cool: Ok Your weapon is malfunctioning after you cleaned it. I had a few problems also until I determined that a small piece was the problem.

Ok check your manual for more info if this does not make sense. the head pin has a reference line and must be aligned with the bolts centerline. If this line is not in the correct postion that may be your problem.

I too cleaned my weapon once I got it and had a few malfunctions but after reading the manual I noticed the head pin was not lined up as the manual advised. Once I corrected this I had no further problems. tongue.gif As for cleaning supplies I use Mpro 7, look into it. This cleaner is a Bio freindly product and it wont cause damage to the blued parts on weapons. I then use the Mpro 7 CLP, clean, lube and protect as the lubricant. I use this product on all my weapons including my AR15 and on this weapon the bolt really gets dirty and needs good lube on it then other type weapons. Try it out You will like it. You should always clean your weapons because a dirty weapon can get you killed, well thats what we say in my line of work.

[ 09-13-2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Commando ]