Trouble W/ SBE

Sivart

I've got a SBE I that I've had problems w/ ever since it was new. It has trouble cycling the new round in the chamber, and now the shell is sometimes getting stuck, coming out of the magazine.

The gun was just sent into benelli. It came back worse than it was.

The gun is completely clean and lightly oiled w/ synthetic gun oil. I've taken both the magazine and recoil spring out, cleaned, and still gives problems.

I'm thinking of going w/ sure cycle springs. Do you think this would solve my problem.

Very frustrated.

try reading here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/3607.html

See Mudhen's comments especially:

"Hold a Benelli firmly when shooting and keep holding it while shooting. I can make my Benellis stovepipe by letting go while shooting or loosely gripping the gun. I can get lazy and let go sometimes. I have the most jams on straight overhead shots and shots from layout blinds."

[ 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: duckfan ]

I have had the same problems and contrary to mudhen's thoughts it is not human error, at least not with me. I have replaced my springs with Wolffe springs and I still have the same problems. I'm going to send mine back to Benelli after the season. If it comes back with the same problems I'm getting rid of it and getting the extrema II or SXIII.

If it were me and it is still doing it...I would get rid of it. Just my .02

Originally posted by DeadlyBenelli:

I'm getting rid of it and getting the extrema II or SXIII.

If it were me and it is still doing it...I would get rid of it. Just my .02

My brand new Browning Silver Hunter - a close twin to the Winchester SX3 - jams every 3rd or 4th shell. It ejects the empty, but won't feed the new shell. It may be a matter of breaking in, we will see how the rest of the season goes...

mudhen - CA

HEY GUYS - I just mentioned what my SBE's do for me.

Don't get all pizzy about it.

I've been shooting SBE's for 17 seasons with none of the problems you are mentioning.

I'm sorry that my guns work and yours don't!

Send the guns back to Benelli. If they come back not working, send them back again.

This forum is not a conduit to Benelli CS...

mudhen - CA

No problem here Mudhen. I have identified the problem with my gun. I have polished the upper track on the bolt. After hand cycleing, it works a lot smoother and with less force to get the head to rotate into battery. I have also noticed that the bolt locking pin has a flat spot were it has been hitting the shoulder in the track. Not the machined flat spot. I'm also going to order me a new pin and see if that helps as well.

Now that my problem has been identifed it is a simple solution and I feel soooo much better.

My father bought his SBE second hand and over the last two seasons he too has experienced problems with the ejection of a few random shells during hunts. The first season he sent it back to Benelli and they could not find anything wrong. I think with the suggestions I have read above we will take his gun apart and see if we can find the issue on our own. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by HOGWILD:

Just remember when you modify a Benelli with non Benelli parts they are probably going to tell you sorry charlie you voided the warranty and i am sure if you have had the dremmel out grinding they will notice this also. I have seen only "1" used SBE on the used gun rack at my local gun shop and they have never had a SBEII on the used rack and it's a pretty good sized rack! Guess people do not mind a few problems or they are getting fixed by Benelli and they are just forgetting to praise Benelli Gunsmith's. Or something stranger is going on!! they read the owners manual and started buying quality cycleable shells like benelli has warned people. If they can't fix your gun keep sending it back until they do, you spent a lot of money on a wonderful product and demand it to be fixed or replaced!!

FYI - I've got no problem doing a little touch up with a Dremel on a 16 year old SBE.

But, I do agree that any issue that comes up during the warranty period should be referred to Benelli CS.

mudhen - CA

Hello guys I've been reading your posts for some time - now I've joined you !

I have an M2 which has given me the symptoms I have been reading in this thread. I tried several fixes, polishing the receiver, checking for burrs on machined faces and eventually sending back to Benelli. The gun is now working a dream - what did they do ? Nothing, well not quite, it appears that like most other semi-autos Benelli's don't like certain cartridges. I don't mean the load or the length but the brand. I had bought a popular UK cartridge Gamebore, and Benellis don't seem to like them. This was verified by Benelli UK and since then after returning the shells and exchanging for another (Eley) brand the gun is faultless. Now I'm not saying all of the folks will have the same problem but now that you are aware it wouldn't harm to check your shells first would it ?

I'm here to answere your question Buck50 ;)

I was able to get out this past weekend and test it. I had two FTF. One was an a swing to the right at about the end of my range so I probably didn't have a good shoulder and the other was a test with a 2 3/4" light load just to see what would happen. Everything else worked perfectly. While I'm not 100% convinced yet the polishing did make a considerable improvment. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I should be able to shoot some 3 dm 1.1/8 loads in about 2 weeks. I'm having a bit of doubt regarding the "soft shoulder" problem, as a lot of us must wear substantial insulation during the winter months. Still, it'll be interesting to test this solution.

Did you replace the pin with the flat spot yet?

Does anybody know exactly what problem Benelli CS is referring to when they apparently say there is a problem on some barrels caused by a particular vendor? Although it sounds unlikey, I would like to figure out how to fix it without sending anything back to Benelli (like the safety spring.)

Can anybody explain how the ejector works. Surely it must have an affect on stovepiping. I don't know how to clean mine; I don't know if it needs to be oiled, and if so, how much.

• 4 weeks later...