To buy SBE2 or not to buy

shell waster

All you SBE 2 owners, should I wait to but my SBE 2 or is it worth for this season? Is the safety stiff on all SBE 2's. Have you noticed a significant recoil reduction- shooting 3.5" high velocity. I have an SBE and I am starting to hedge on waiting for now. Less recoil would be nice and tighter patterns would be nice.

I don't want to sound like a disgruntled SBE 2 purchaser but I must say that I am disappointed in the safety and I also don't like the way the recoil pad is "attached" to the stock. I think for the money Benelli should have noticed and rectified the safety problem prior to production. I know if Benelli would have consulted me during the prototype days the safety in particular would have raised a red flag. I also really don't care for the air dimpled stock. I much prefer Brownings Dura Touch stock for non slip grip. On a positive note I do think that Benelli made significant progress in shotgun mfg with the Crio barrel,tubes and recoil reduction system.. Just my opinion...FIB

Benelli is a hot set up,all others namebrands are of much lesser Quality,IF I could afford more Benellis I would have more,with or without scratches,loudness,stiffness or whatevever other minor trivial bs one can conjure up.Fair Weather fans should'nt buy or own a Benelli. M1014 :cool:

Shell Waster,

As with all new products, the quirks need to be worked-out. Since you are asking for people’s opinions on what you should do regarding the purchase of SBE II, I will step-out on the slippery ice with my opinion.

If I already had an SBE, I would have waited a year or two to allow all the bugs to be resolved. I would monitor the message boards to see that all the issues raised on SBE II have been resolved before making my purchase. You have to decide which issues about the SBE II are important to you before you make your purchase.

My reasoning is that you already have a SBE. You can continue to use the SBE while the kinks get worked-out on the SBE II.

Since I do not have an SBE to compare with the SBE II, I cannot provide an opinion regarding the felt recoil. Perhaps someone else can provide you with that feedback.

My SBE II suffers the same stiff safety as everyone else has posted. I am holding-off from having to cut a coil or two out of the safety spring pending Benelli’s response. It's not getting any easier.

My SBE II has completed the break-in period according to the manual of a 100 rounds of standard hunting load shells. I’ve put 100 rounds of 2 3/4", 10 rounds of 3” and 10 rounds of 3 1/2” through the gun last weekend.

I had 5 FTF with the 2 3/4” shells. See the thread anybody shot your sbe2 for the complete story from me.

Once I put more rounds through the gun, I will post in that topic if I am still having any FTF issues or if the break-in (particularly the 3 and 3 1/2) “fixed” the FTF.

As always, shoot safely. -threeshot

[ 06-18-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

M1014, I must respectfully disagree with your comment that SBE 2 owners complaints are "trivial bs". While it is true that I have not heard or experienced any "major" problems w/the SBE 2 I believe that when one is spending $ 1300-1400.00 for a shotgun (especially a shotgun that is considered to be the premium autoloader) that problems regardless of how "minor" they are should have been resloved during the prototype stage. This of course is my opinion but I will stand by it....FIB

the weapon always comes with added suprises,good bad or indifferent,they will be dealt in one manner or another.Whinning and crying in front of God and everyone is not the way to deal with the opportunity.There are too high of expectations on the fine Benelli products which is showing up on this forum,there are human people and real world errors out there,funny-- strange how critics never look in the mirror.-------------------------Peace to all my Benelli brothers M1014 smile.gif

M1014,

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. smile.gif Why do you think Benelli created this forum on their website for Benelli owners?

What better way for Benelli to learn what their customers like or dislike about their products and/or customer service than to have this forum.

What better way for Benelli to learn of issues surrounding their products than to have this forum.

I think it is great that Benelli monitors (at least Montefeltro, Benelli USA Customer Service Manager) the postings for issues and feedback. Both positive and negative.

In reading other people’s posts, I see people that are making positive statements and constructive criticism that will help Benelli improve their products for all of us to enjoy.

I am sorry that you feel that the constructive criticism should be handled privately. I personally like the public forums to raise awareness of issues and to be made aware of potential issues that I may have not experienced with a particular weapon, but may in the future.

To me, this is the purpose of all the gun forums on the internet. To share your knowledge with others, both good and bad.

To Benelli, this forum provides them with information they can use to build a better product. Benelli learns what their customer’s feel they are doing correctly and where Benelli needs to improve.

It's good for all parties involved. smile.gif

[ 06-19-2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

Thank you for the input, special thanks to three shot. I am going to call the gun store and cancel my order. It will cost me $50 but like FIB stated that's a lot of money to be spending to have a stiff safety. Since most ducks surprise me because I am sleeping, drinking coffee, bs'ing with my budies, a stiff safety will only further my reputation as the shell waster. Thanks everyone, I will plow on with my trusty SBE.

[ 06-20-2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: shell waster ]

Originally posted by M1014:

the weapon always comes with added suprises,good bad or indifferent,they will be dealt in one manner or another.Whinning and crying in front of God and everyone is not the way to deal with the opportunity.There are too high of expectations on the fine Benelli products which is showing up on this forum,there are human people and real world errors out there,funny-- strange how critics never look in the mirror.-------------------------Peace to all my Benelli brothers M1014 smile.gif

Why should the critics look in the mirror? Will it fix my safety problem with my SBEII?

MDgoosehunter - Did you happen to pick the gun up and work the safety before you purchased it?? .. I've shot 3 different guns from three different geographic areas and I didn't notice a thing wrong with the safetys ... maybe just me and the guns I shot but they all seemed crisp and positive....

Originally posted by MDgoosebuster:

No, Mine was ordered and I was elated when it came in...Should have been more careful, although, if I did notice it, I would have still bought the gun. I was just tongue in cheeking M104's post.

I'm listening mothergoose---- M1014 tongue.gif

[ 06-21-2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

My gun shop had three SBEII's, M2 and M1. I notice the stiff safety on the SBEII's and the M2. I did not try the safety on the M1.

At the time, there were no postings on the forums regarding the stiff safety and I thought (incorrectly) that it will break-in.

Well, maybe it will after 10 zillion uses. ;)

I just got back from a AKC hunt test I took my sbe 2 and also my sbe incase of a problem I had 200 round through my sbe 2 and at a hunt test when gunning birds you can not miss or have a problem I Killed a 100 ducks shooting 2 3/4 trap steel shells

with no problems

I would hope there is a answer to the safety I do feel it needs to be lighter but it is one **** of a gun and I do like it better then my 2 year old SBE

David

Originally posted by shell waster:

All you SBE 2 owners, should I wait to but my SBE 2 or is it worth for this season? Is the safety stiff on all SBE 2's. Have you noticed a significant recoil reduction- shooting 3.5" high velocity. I have an SBE and I am starting to hedge on waiting for now. Less recoil would be nice and tighter patterns would be nice.

My first post did not work to well, but here I go again.

I just bought a BSE 1 (pre 2004 model) this spring and love it , especially the stock fit. I use it with the C shim. Now I am looking at the 2004 BSE 2 and when I shoulder it it does not fit at all like my BSE 1. Does the BSE 2 come with shims that will duplicate the old BSE 1 with shim C fit? I am really excited to see a supersport (have not seen them in my area of SD yet)because the specs look simular to the old BSE 1 stock fit.