WD-40 to be or not to be

fsh4eye

I know I am going to get some good coments on this, but I have to ask it anyway. I never have cleaned my guns with WD-40, but I work with some people that only use WD-40 when they clean there guns. They use it as a cleaner and a for a lubricant. One of these guys is going to get the Benelli Super Sport and I hope he will not use this on it also. When I bought my Benelli M2 I was told by the gun dealer, never to use WD-40 on the gun. :eek: What are some of your opinions on this. Is WD-40 ok to use on a gun or not??

Mr. Walleye.

[ 01-28-2005, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: fsh4eye ]

A hunting partner the other day was spraying WD-40 into the action of his Rem. 1187 until it poured out the lower end. When I asked what he was doing, he told me that the gun was jamming and that this always helped.

After spending most of the day helping him fix his broken down boat, I offered to clean his gun for him.

I wound up with about a half cup of gunk and junk out of that weapon! The WD-40 had collected every bit of powder residue, dust, sand, and grit it came in contact with.

I would NEVER use that crap on a weapon of any kind!

Over the years, I've always had best results with minimizing the amount of residual oils left on the guns parts, both internal and external. They stay cleaner and operate more reliably in extreme cold.

Putting WD-40 on a Benelli SS would be the equivalent of washing a Ferrari with Ajax, IMHO.

I'm fairly new here and very new to Benellis. Don't even actually own one yet but will in a couple of weeks. Have to agree with tucker301 about WD-40. It's petrolium based and therefore a dust and dirt collector. Definately better stuff for taking care of a gun. However, I always have a can of the stuff in my boat. Comes in handy for the boat at times and when my gun gets a dunking, which seems to happen all too often, I will hose the action down with it for it's water displacing qualities and for temporary protection and lubrication. When I get home all that gets removed and the real stuff put on. My favorite is Breakfree CLP.

WD40 will make a primer inert in a few days if left in contact, I highly recommend not using the product in firearms.

The way to minimize fouling is the idea that less is more. You don't want oil dripping off your weapon, this simply collects dirt and carbonizes during firing. If the part in question that you are oiling doesn't slide against another part, a simple light coating of oil that can later be wiped off will prevent corrosion.

Excess oil simply acts as a magnet for dirt and debris.

I avoid spray solvents since they tend to take the debris deep into the weapon and collect at a point not easily accessable. I occassionally use brake spray or gun scrubber on really dirty jobs. Note that reoiling it is mandatory after this since it strips all surface oil off.

Look into Mpro7 for a cleaner. It doesn't stink up the house so you can do it in your livingroom.

-Steve

Use TW-25B, and Corrosion X for firearms. This is what I use in the Extremes of Alaska and it's GREAT stuff! Alakso

www.mil-comm.com/main.cfm?

www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

Originally posted by fsh4eye:

I know I am going to get some good coments on this, but I have to ask it anyway. I never have cleaned my guns with WD-40, but I work with some people that only use WD-40 when they clean there guns. They use it as a cleaner and a for a lubricant. One of these guys is going to get the Benelli Super Sport and he told me that he will use WD-40 on this also. When I bought my Benelli M2 I was told by the gun dealer, never to use WD-40 on the gun. :eek: What are some of your opinions on this. Is WD-40 ok to use on a gun or not??

Mr. Walleye.

fsh4eye,

I like to use M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner to clean (no smell) and Slip2000 Piston & Choke Tube Cleaner (citrus smell).

I oil the gun using FP-10 at Brownells stock number 934-110-004. CheaperThanDirt also carries the FP-10 oil.

Tom Knapp of course recommends the Benelli oil that comes with the gun, but more importantly in this thread, he gives his reasons for avoiding certain oils. super gets stuck

I also use Birchwood Choke Tube Lube for the choke tube threads.

Do not use WD-40 for your gun. Here is FP-10's 4 Product Corrosion Test with instructions of how you can reproduce their test. You can see how poorly WD-40 performed in this test.

Regards threeshot

Ack! WD-40! Ack!

I loaned my brother a .38 revolver years ago. It was stolen from his Memphis home, then turned up a year later in a Shreveport, La. pawn shop.

The Shreveport Police hosed it down with WD-40 and stored it for a while, presumably while they investigated who had it.

Then, it was transferred to the Memphis Police and my brother picked it up at the station.

The darned thing wouldn't ****! My brother, not a gun nut like myself, thought it was broken. When I visited at Christmas, he showed me revolver.

It wouldn't **** for me, either. The cylinder would only swing out if a fair amount of force were applied with the fingers. It was severely stiff.

I managed to get the sideplate off and it was filled --- FILLED --- with congealed WD-40. A quick washing down in white gas (it was all my brother had) got rid of the WD-40 varnish and restored it to operation.

In another instance, I unwittingly sprayed some WD-40 on an open box of .38 Special cartridges in the background. A few months later, at the range, only half of the cartridges would fire. The WD-40 deadened the primers.

I would NEVER use that junk in any firearm, lock (that's another story), car door hinges or basically anything.

I don't even have a can around the house. Use Break-Free CLP. It's what the U.S. military uses on its firearms, and not without good reason.

WD-40?

Ack!

• 1 year later...

The only study I have seen on products for corrosion prevention is here:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=503

There are probably others.

This was just looking at rust prevention not lubricity.

WD-40 did quite well in these tests. I have used WD-40 on the outside of guns before and it has not given me any trouble. I wouldn't use it on internal moving parts.