HELP - Rusty Barrel on NEW Sport II???

Spanial

Just bought a Sport II and it shoots like a dream. I have tried cleaning the barrel multiple times after and between shooting with the same result; a brown rusty color coming off onto my rag after cleaning for 10 minutes. There is no visable pitting or rust. Someone told me that it may be the process of bluing the barrel (rust bluing) but I'm not so sure. Others have said it is normal and will stop with time.

The question is; Has anyone else experienced this problem? As you can imagine, it has me concerned. Thanks for any advise or help.

[ 09-04-2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Spanial ]

A brown color on your cleaning rag? Remember that you have your porting holes in the barrel that spew burned powder and wad fouling all over the place. I think you will find that the ports are the source of most of the extra goop you are seeing. Also, when bluing is brand new, there is often a residue that is left behind and will wipe off with gun oil on a rag. May take a while to get it all. My question to you is - do you load one round at a time? If so, exactly how to you drop in the round? Any difficulties getting that single round chambered?

Thanks,

Lazarus

Originally posted by Lazarus:

A brown color on your cleaning rag? Remember that you have your porting holes in the barrel that spew burned powder and wad fouling all over the place. I think you will find that the ports are the source of most of the extra goop you are seeing. Also, when bluing is brand new, there is often a residue that is left behind and will wipe off with gun oil on a rag. May take a while to get it all. My question to you is - do you load one round at a time? If so, exactly how to you drop in the round? Any difficulties getting that single round chambered?

Thanks,

Lazarus

I appreciate your help. So far I have loaded one or two rounds. For one round, I generally open the chamber, load, and close the bolt. If two or more then I do the same with 2 and 3 being placed in the tube after.

It does appear that some residue is coming the top recever area and along the chamber end of the barrel. How long do you think it should take to stop seeing the residue if it is some type of packing oil or bluing issue?