Benelli Finish

turkey

I posted this morning and apparently my post has been removed. I told the truth about my experience last night when I took the money I saved to a sporting goods store to purchase a SBEII. I found that the camo finish was in bad shape on nearly all of the benelli guns. The Camo on the other brands seemed to be much better. I left very disappointed. I could not spend that much money on sloppy workmanship. Perhaps this was a bad batch or perhaps the guns were treated differently than the other brands at the store. Either way, I saved, researched, and set out to buy the best. I came home empty handed and disappointed. My play now is to try another brand. I was even more disappointed to learn that my post was removed. I'll see how long this one lasts.

Went to another dealer today. I kind of have the fever for a new SBEII. They had one SBEII in advantage timber. Same thing....Camo coming off at end of barrel. Also sight pin appeared to be off center although I could not tell for sure. I love the action and the feel but everytime I find one the workmanship seems sort of shoddy compared to the other brands. Anyone elso notice the same thing?

I have a new M2 in MAX-4, and love it! But to be honest there are several places where something happened to the film in the dipping process and the camo pattern shows red lines at the edges of some of the details. Oh well, it shoots great and I don't suspect the red lines will be noticed by the ducks or the turkeys...

Do the different brands have differing techniques for camoflauging the guns? The camo on the brownings seemed perfect. Perhaps it seems like a minor detail but I just think that when I pay top dollar for the best, I should get perfection....at least in workmanship. Sorry if I seem to keep beating a dead horse. I guess I just thought that when I found the SBEII I was going to find a flawless, top of the line peice. I didn't expect to see the gaps in the camo or any other imperfection.

Drundle,

Browning chips/flaks also. My friends BGH looks like a MOBU checker board. My BPS in MOBU DuraTouch is starting to chip on the stock.

I have a SBE II in Advantage Timber. So far the camo is holding up Great.

When it does begin to fade and show marks, then no big deal. I'll send it to Duracoat to have it black dipped.

You sound like a newbie.

Camo film sucks, everyone knows that, but until some better technology comes along at a decent price, that's what the manufacturers are going to use.

The camo BGH might look better on the shelf, but it flakes and chips just like all the rest.

It's just film, you have to accept that.

I'd like to see the synthetic stocks come out in a molded camo pattern, and some sort of permanent metal finish. It might not have the neat detail of the film, but it would be more permanent.

I have no doubt about the bead centering issue, that has happened to me on 4 brands of shotguns. I have had to remove the bead, plug the hole, and retap many, many times.

mudhen - CA

turkey, yes it can be re-dipped. I think the cost is around $150 these days.

mudhen is a bit harsh but right, it won't last. Yea a molded camo would rock! **** the camo on my ATV is MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher than the dipping used on guns. As far as the metal, its gotta be some sort of metal treatment, not just a added material. I'm curious how rugers stainless O/U will hold up. I bet you could get that, put on some camo clad and it woudl last pretty good.

Turkey,

If the gun fits you and you like the way it feels and you have shot one before and it shoots great than buy it. Don't worry about looks cause looks never killed ducks or turkeys or deer. You can always have the gun re-dipped. Besided for each and every scratch and nick your gun gets there should be a story behind it and hopefully it's a hunting story. Think of it as character. I know it's a hard pill to swallow that you are about to fork out nearly 2 grand for a gun that has cosmetic flaws but they all do. Good luck and enjoy.

The store I bought my SBE from told me the camo finish was gauranteed for life. He said if it ever starts to peel off to wait until after the season (it will still shoot) and drop it off at the store and they will get it re-dipped. I thought this was a Benelli gaurantee, is it just a store backing up their product?

Think he was trying to sell you something. Look at the warranty card. Benelli's only have a 5 year warranty. If you wanna put it in perspective go look at buying an outboard motor for 7 grand and see what the warranty is on it.....1 year. Aint that something? Even the new ATV I bought only has a 1 year warranty on it.

Well, I don't know if I 'd call myself a "newbie" and I certainly do not have any bone to pick with benelli. However I guess I am new to camo guns as none of mine are camo. I did not realize that the stuff would come off so easily. Thanks to all for the info and the advice. I must say that after asking questions on this forum I have found that I (you) know a lot more about the gun than most of the sales people I talked to. Sometimes I wish they would just admit that they don't know the answer. Just one more question...If the camo flakes off or chips etc., how do you keep it from developing rust? Should I assume that you care for it the same as for a blued finish? Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care if the camo comes off of mine tommorrow, it shoots great! Bagged a ton of ducks and geese already.

The camo pattern on mine had no noticable problems from the store, although I do notice that the max-4 camo on the gun is alot lighter than the Max-4 pattern is supposed to be. But it blends perfectly with the switchgrass we brush our blinds with!

My SBEII in Advantage Timber had some slight, and I mean slight, flaws in it the day I bought it, but really not much at all.

Really though, all my guns have cosmetic flaws...that just comes with hunting. Sure, I try the best I can to keep them all nice and perfect (and they all do still look nice), but it's inevitable that someday you're just going to drop it or something's going to happen to it. It'll still shoot the same though.

I bought a camo gun because I thought it looked cool and would hold up better than a black gun. Well, it looks badass, and after the first big hunt of the season this weekend, the camo fared a lot better against the limbs and grass of the duck blinds than the guys with the black gun.

Something's going to scratch it. I say buy the camo, hunt with it and enjoy it, don't worry about it looking perfect forever, because it won't.

• 2 weeks later...