Breakfree CLP

Liberty or death Jr.

I've heard that Hoppes Elite is re-branded MPro-7 (which is what I use). Good stuff. Non-toxic, won't stink up the house.

IIRC, both Breakfree and MPro-7 meet the same military specs, so either should work just as well. As I understand it, CLP is an all-in-one product originally designed for the military. What soldier wants to carry around 2-3 bottles of stuff when one will do the job just fine?

Regardless, I believe that there are specific cleaners that will do a better job than most CLP's, but it takes extra work. I generally clean my guns with dedicated cleaners, but keep a smallish bottle of CLP handy any time I'm out in the field for on-the-spot stuff.

Information on "CLP" from the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site:

Looked up the NSN 9150-01-102-1473 on the supply computer today and found 4 CAGE numbers for suppliers of CLP.

I have posted the manufacturers names here before. The PRIME CAGE number is for ROYCO, which means if you order CLP you are going to get ROYCO's CLP, UNLESS you request a substitute CAGE or for some reason the PRIME CAGE's product is unavailable, then the supply system starts filling the orders with the secondary CAGE's product.

I called the SAN-BAR company (Break-Free) and they explained a few things:

The Army is the service that pushes for the use of ROYCO's CLP. The Air Force and the Navy do not use ROYCO CLP on their aircraft weapon systems anymore. (I know the Navy doesn't use it.)

The difference between ROYCO and Break-Free CLP is the amount of solvent used.

ROYCO uses a 40% solution of solvent in their mixture for CLP, Break-Free CLP uses a 20% mixture.

Break-Free CLP for the Military market is called the D-5 formula, and meets a -65 degree viscosoty requirement.

ROYCO's CLP meets the same standard.

Break-Free CLP that is manufactured for the civilian market (This includes the Police) is called the E formula. This is the civilian and export version, the US Military being the only people who use the D-5 Formula.

The E Formula uses only a 12% mixture of solvent in the formula. There is no difference in any of the other ingredients of the formula. The minimum viscosity temp for the E formula is -75 degrees.

The Break-Free CLP (both versions) formula also includes 1% (by weight) of Teflon or PTFE, ROYCO doesn't use any.

A little history:

Uncle Sam wanted a CLP for use by the Military and asked Break-Free in 1979 to devlop it.

In 1980 the U.S. Military started to use Break-Free's CLP.

Break-Free wanted to be able to market their CLP to the civilian market, and the only restriction that Uncle Sam asked for was that the civilian Break-Free be the same as the Military version (in case Johnny bought Break-Free at Wally World).

In 1987 Break-Free lost the contract as the main supplier of CLP. The contract has bounced back between ROYCO and Break-Free for a few years now. Break-Free still sells plenty of their CLP to the Military, most of it through open purchase (Government Credit Card).

In the end:

No difference in the basic ingredents for Break-Free CLP and ROYCO CLP.

ROYCO uses more solvent in their formula.

No difference in the ingredients for Military and Civilian Break-Free, the Civilian formula uses less solvent.

Happy CLP'ing!