What’s going on in other states?

garren

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sh..t. It looks like we are living in different countries :confused:

Official version is: “concerns over Iran’s nuclear plans and civil unrest in Nigeria have led to record-shattering prices of oil”. I must add – …in 5 borrows of NY City. That’s the price you have to pay for loving your city :(

Originally posted by pdw4137:

Garren, What percentaage of that cost per gallon is tax? I haven't lived in NY since '81, but I do remember that, even then, the tax on fuel was fairly steep in comparison to other states

Year ago it was 70 cents per gallon, don’t know how much is now.

[ 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: garren ]

In the Appleton-Green Bay, Wi. area right now it's 2.89. Think of it as throwing a box of reloaded shells out the window every gallon/18-20 miles depending on the vehicle you drive. The question is what are average people like most of us going to give up to compensate for the extra cost this is imposing. For me so far, I dropped my membership at the Y, no more out to eat on a whim, next to go is cable TV, beer, goods I really don't need but just want. In other words, the whole economy is going to be adversely affected in the long run if this continues. We Americans are used to our cars, trucks, SUV's and the freedom to travel-that's what we work for and now as the middle class is sinking further downward this is in jeopordy and I'm more than PO'ed. How about you??

Originally posted by Geno:

We Americans are used to our cars, trucks, SUV's and the freedom to travel-that's what we work for and now as the middle class is sinking further downward this is in jeopordy and I'm more than PO'ed. How about you??

Unfortunately, it will never be the same again. Before, we worked for living and now we live to work so somebody else can live. Actually, as always, but now it’s just too noticeable.

I live in NY, a half mile from the New Jeraey state line. Gas is always about 18 cent less in NJ.

The funny parts is that when you account for inflation and added taxes, gas is still cheeper now, than in 1974. Oil would have to hit $109.00 a barrel, to match 1974 prices.

The conversion cost (cost to turn oil into gas) has fallen a lot in the last 30 years. If it's had not, we would be paying 5+ dollars a gallon right now.

The demand is up, and the supply of Methenol(sp), a newly mandatory additive, is short, and is being munipulated with to make some peep a pile of money.

We'll all get by, The politicals will make hey, and life goes on.