Benelli jamming up

shane19

I heard from a number of different people haveing problems with their benelli's jamming when they use them in tough hunting conditions. They were having these problems after shooting a few boxes of shells or getting a piece of straw in them or even in rainy wheather. My question is, has anyone else have the same problem? I was just wondering because i am seriously considering a benelli but i do not want to have to put up with the headache of my $1500-2000 shotgun jammimg up.

I've been shooting Benelli's since '97 and have had one jam only 1 time during hunting, and the shells I was using at the time were fairly old. I'vehad mine out in down pours, sleet, snow, and dirt and the gun always works. One time I belly crawled 1/4 mile down a plowed field, in strong winds to sneak up on some geese, and by the time I got within range. me and my gun were covered in dirt and my M1 had so much dirt inside the action that when I unloaded the gun back at the truck it sounded and felt like I was rubbing course sandpaper over the gun, but the gun worked without a hitch when I shot at the geese. I couldn't say the same for my buddy's Browning Gold though, it was so gummed up that he ended up with a high priced single shot, he could barely cycle the bolt manually and the shells didn't want to pop out of the magazine. There has only been one time where a foreign object jammed up one of my Benelli's, I had a reload with a bad crimp and some of the bb's ran out into the action and got lodged in a groove under the carrier and prevented it from dropping back down all the way so shells could pop out of the magazine, so I manually cycled the bolt back and forth a few times until the carrier sheared off the shot and I shot the gun the rest of the day and took it apart that night and dug the rest of the shot out of the action. If you look at what kind of guns serious waterfowl guides and the big dove and duck lodges down in Mexico use, most of them are Benelli's, so that is a pretty good testiment to the ruggedness of the guns.

I have an SBE 1 that is about 8 years old and have never had it jam. I have used it for waterfowl when it was pouring rain to hunting pheasants when it was snowing and blowing. I hunted coyotes in stubble Fields and on top of hay bales where the straw gets all over the gun. I have shot every imaginable shell through it without a failure to feed or jam. So whoever told you that is either full of crap,hate Benelli's or don't know how to maintain their guns.

[ 09-13-2006, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: THEOZZ ]

Hello. New member here. I just bought a Super Nova with the 18 inch smooth bore barrel. I mistakenly bought several boxes of Brenneke KO slugs to try out. First shot no extraction and broke the rim with the claw. Once it came free the same thing happened twice more. Switched to Winchester ammo and no problems. Went back to the store where I bought the ammo and the guy told me he had to beat a 870 for a half hour to get the shell out. He was not working when I bought them or he might have steered me to only buy one box.

I have sent a query to Brenneke as it is their problem not the shotgun.

Other than that I like the Super Nova.

Originally posted by Duggan:

My m4 jams every single shot. I like to think of it as a bolt action.

Really not what I wanted to hear as I wait for my M4 to arrive.

From reading the forums....M4s seem to be of 2 minds--either totally reliable or totally unreliable.

Heres to hoping I get a reliable one!

I purchased a M2 and had nothing but problems with it cycling. I was using the Estate Ammo. I sent the gun back to bennelli twice and the second time they replaced the recoil spring in the stock?

Since then I shoot nothing but winchester ammo and I have not had a single problem after 600 rounds. I truley love the gun and this is a testiment the Benelli customer service will not stop until the problem is resolved.

Good luck.

Originally posted by shane19:

I heard from a number of different people haveing problems with their benelli's jamming when they use them in tough hunting conditions. They were having these problems after shooting a few boxes of shells or getting a piece of straw in them or even in rainy wheather. My question is, has anyone else have the same problem? I was just wondering because i am seriously considering a benelli but i do not want to have to put up with the headache of my $1500-2000 shotgun jammimg up.

No.

mudhen - CA

Well by the sounds of it most people like the benelli and don't have any trouble with them, however there are people who don't care for them. What i am looking for is a gun that i can rely on 100% and from the feedback i have just recieved about the benelli i am kinda leary to buy one.

Well by the sounds of it most people like the benelli and don't have any trouble with them, however there are people who don't care for them. What i am looking for is a gun that i can rely on 100% and from the feedback i have just recieved about the benelli i am kinda leary to buy one.

Don't buy one. They are not 100% reliable.

May I suggest:

www.mossberg.com

www.hr1871.com

www.maverickarms.com

smile.gif

mudhen - CA

Is there ANY brand of shotgun (or any other type of gun for that matter) that has an absolute 100% customer satisfaction rating? The answer is no. There will ALWAYS be some owners who experience some problems or who just don't like the gun for some reason, whatever the brand may be.

I can tell you this...I personally don't think there is a more reliable or durable semi-automatic shotgun available than a Benelli. That's why I own one. Your opinion may vary, so spend your money as you see fit.

By the way, what Benelli were you considering that costs $2,000?

[ 09-14-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: harrydog ]

They shoot too high.

The safety is hard to push and it's so loud that it scares away all game within a square mile.

They tear up your thumb.

They rust if you put them next to a glass of water.

You have to press some goofy release button to get a shell to feed from the magazine.

They don't pattern well with buckshot.

They kick too hard and make me cry.

They won't cycle light target loads (which are great on migratory ducks and geese by the way).

I'm still trying to figure out why I even own one :confused:

Originally posted by tucker301:

They shoot too high.

The safety is hard to push and it's so loud that it scares away all game within a square mile.

They tear up your thumb.

They rust if you put them next to a glass of water.

You have to press some goofy release button to get a shell to feed from the magazine.

They don't pattern well with buckshot.

They kick too hard and make me cry.

They won't cycle light target loads (which are great on migratory ducks and geese by the way).

I'm still trying to figure out why I even own one :confused:

Because like me you have too much money and too much time to spend tinkering with it, I had several problems with both my M2 and SBE II jamming, quit using Federals and the problem went away, go figure!

Originally posted by tucker301:

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph:

I have sent a query to Brenneke as it is their problem not the shotgun.

Other than that I like the Super Nova.

Other than the fact that Brenneke has a quality problem, completely unrelated to the Benelli, you like the Super Nova? :confused: So far yes. The shells in question are made by Kent for Brenneke. I got some at a different store that are RWS-Rotweil and they were 100%. It does look like the chamber had a plastic coating from the factory that my inital cleaning did not remove. I swabbed it with Acetone and maybe the issue will diminish. I have heard from another source that the Brenneke's are prone to stick in the chamber.

LOL you guys sure get affended when someone says something bad about benelli. That is hillarious you swear you have shares in the company. And by the way i am from canada and the SBEII is $1900 on average.

Being new to the forum, I tend to agree with Shane.

The point of the forum is to talk shop about Benellis.

This means the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Some who have criticized Benelli have been criticized themselves.

This is just wrong.

IMO, Benelli is one of the best gun makers out there. That is why I bought an M2 and an M4. My research told me Benellis were the best. Benellis owners tend to love their guns too.

But having said that, their firearms have their idiosynchrasies. Benelli also produces the occasional lemon.

But it is OK to talk about what you don't like about Benellis. Benelli should welcome the feedback.