Benelli SBE 2 or Beretta Xtrema 2

Slayersmith

I am looking to buy a new shotgun in the near future for duck and goose hunting.

I was looking at both guns a couple of the guys had at the duck club this past weekend.

I am between the SBE 2 and the Xtrema 2. I like the SBE 2 because it is a little lighter and has the center sight and has been around a little longer and has been proven to be a fine gun. The xtrema has the (kick off) recoil pad and has a 45% less recoil. ( at least thats what it says on the website). The xtrema has a slightly bigger bore ( I don't know if this is an advantage or not).

Just looking for imput on the pro's and con's of both guns.

Thanks, Aaron

Don't be so sure, Wildfowler.

If Beretta made a LH Xtrema2, I would already have traded.

Even still, I'm not done thinking about it :D

Benelli SBEII:

Pros -

Ultra-reliable Inertia system, easy as **** to clean, light and fast, probably more options with aftermarket barrels and parts.

Cons -

That lightness translates to kick, and plenty of it. Thin and easily scuffed (matte black models) exterior finish, some owners have trouble with target loads (the same kinds of people who get their BMW's stuck on a logging road I suppose?)

Beretta Xtrema2:

Pros -

Kick off recoil reduction, Aqua protective finish, gas operation further reduces recoil, and can handle light loads.

Cons -

Newer model may still have kinks to work out (but I haven't heard of too many), lesser availability of barrels and aftermarket parts, No LH version.

Some people also prefer the shorter forearm on the SBEII. I certainly do.

Both are fine guns, and it isn't like comparing the SBEII to the Stoeger 2000.

These are class weaposn by class manufacturers.

I'll sort of repeat some of what's been said. I have two friends with extrema's. They love them. I love my SBE. Both top shelf hunting guns. If you're recoil sensitive get an extrema. If you're just a little kick shy a Sims recoil pad and/or a Benelli recoil reducer will help a lot with a SBE. That Sims pad does what it says it will. If you happen to be upgrading from a pump gun and it's recoil doesn't bother you then the SBE won't either.

Taking apart and cleaning my SBE is kind of fun. Takes about 20 seconds to take the whole thing apart including the bolt and the cleaning is simply simple. Everything is wide open and accessible. Anyway, I'd pick the Benelli for those reasons.

[ 12-13-2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: IdahoDucker ]

Idahoducker, I am upgrading from a pump and I am not to recoil sensitive. I am going to look into the sims pad and the benelli recoil reducer though.

Is $1,550.00 the going rate for the SBE 2? That is what Turners outdoorsman in Southern Cal wants for it.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

You guys rock!

In 2004, I took the SBEII over Beretta because at the time, the top Beretta didn't have an available slug barrel ... and I wanted that added versatility in my choice of a waterfowl/turkey semi-auto. As far as quality goes, I think you could flip a coin as to which shotgun is superior. Looks ... to me the Benelli has a distinctive look and feel to it ... if it maters. On a lark I took the Benelli out grouse hunting and it handled & shot more like my O/U than any auto I've carried. Probably the biggest factor in purchasing a "big gun" is the ability to tame heavy 3" & 3-1/2" magnum loads and/or slugs. Wether you're "recoil conscious" or not ... less is ALWAYS better. So ... if you work through your list of likes & dislikes with both shotguns coming out equal ... I'd get the one with the less recoil. If I was buying today ... I'd have a tough time choosing. (Although I'd probably buy the Benelli)LOL

Butch-M,

I do like the look of the sbe 2 over the Beretta. I also like that the sbe 2 is lighter. I am having a tough time choosing, but I am leaning toward the SBE 2. Just need to save for a few months and I will have one for next season.

This is an great forum, thanks for all the help!

I have the 28" barrel on my gun. (Ballistically, there is no appreciable difference between the two) The logic behind the choice was that #1. the dealer said it is the barrel which he sells far and away the most. #2. I have an old pre-screw in chokes Browning with three barrels ... 26" IC, 28" Mod, 30" full. I used the gun a lot for many many years, so I'm completely familiar with all the barrels from Upland Game (26")to pass shooting (30") & Waterfowling over decoys (28"), with a little skeet & trap thrown in. The 26" feels short and fast, the 30" long and waterfowl-ie. The 28" sort of disappears, having no particular "feel" to me.

I "THOUGHT" the 26" Benelli would feel too short for my intended purpose of waterfowl hunting. I was wrong. I know it's subjective, but the 28" Benelli barrel "feels" almost like my 30" Browning did ... long. I think Tucker or Mudhen once mentioned a reason in the Benelli SBEII's design as to why the barrel length is deceiving and actually "feels" longer than it is. (Integral barrel/receiver or something) It's not a big deal, kind of splitting hairs; but if I had it to do over, I'd get the 26" barrel. I "THINK" the 26" Benelli would feel more like your average 28" As I mentioned above, I took the SBEII out for grouse and it behaved outstanding even with the 28" barrel. I have a beloved Beretta O/U that is unequaled out in the field, so actually the only place for my Benelli is in the duck boat and turkey woods; and 28" is fine there. But ... my advice to anyone considering an SBEII or purchasing a smoothbore barrel for his SBEII slug gun (as I did) is: if at all possible try to get the gun in your hands before you choose your barrel length. It's NOT an 11-87 or 1100. If you like or want a long sight plane, you'll like the 28" barrel.

in duck hunting its not a big deal, but when you are carrying the gun all day (upland hunting) the lighter benelli is awesome....quicker to get up to shooting possition and not as tiring to carry all day. I also went with the 26" barrel because it seemed to swing faster/smoother/better for me...but if this was a duck/goose/turkey gun I would have went with the 28 inch barrel. that 2 inches means alot when there are 3 guys in a blind and they dont want to get the muzzle blast off a shoot barrel gun...one of my buddies brought his winchester O/U out duck hunting and I nearly killed him..that thing was SOOO loud right next to my head....**** short a$$ barrels should not be in a duck blind.

I think if you are going for an awesome all around shotgun to be used for everything that flies or walks, go with a SBE2 26"...that is what I did.

also I dont think that the black matte finish is any more durable than the camo is...just what I've heard

GL and you cant really go wrong...you can make the feathers fly with a $200 mossy ;)

BENELLI SBE II

No DOUBT, buy the Benelli SBE II. It is a lighter, nicer, easier on the shoulder, easier to clean gun.

It's only like $100 bucks more, which is nothing in the course of a lifetime of ownership.

We have 3 Benelli SBE II's and 2 Benelli SBE's in my family.....all love them.

They are inertia operated....much better then gas...which is not only more work to clean...but more prone to jamming in bad weather, or if not cleaned properly.

Most gas opertated guns are lighter recoil....except the Benelli. It is the lightest out there.

The Beretta is heavier and more clumbsier.... I know that they are also fatter foreends...which was a pain...but apparently the new ones aren't as fat, because people complained. I've shot the original one...but not the new one.

All I know is that Benelli's are the lightest, fastest, cleanest, and easiest on the shoulder....can't beat that.

All of our Benelli's are 26" barrell's. We blind hunt for ducks and field hunt for pheasant in SD..... the "26 barrell is the best compromise for all hunting conditions.

We all have BLACK MATTE, because of problems with the CAMO ones.

Good Hunting. Tell us what you buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here and Beretta biased to a certain extent (obviously)... I think some things said here are true and some not. There were a few of you that said gas guns are not as reliable. True to a certain extent, but my father and uncle had SBE's and both had jamming problems even though they cleaned their guns properly, oiled, etc. I own three Beretta semi's and have had one jam in thousands of rounds (I shoot about 3,000 rounds a year through my Urika Sporting). I totally agree that Benelli's are top notch guns so I'm not here to flame against them. Another person stated that the Xtrema 2 is bulky and heavier. For starters, they have remedied the monstrous forestock to some degree, and second some like beefier stocks if they are beefier people (large and in charge like myself...LOL). These types of discussions turn into who like what anyways, Ford V.S. Chevy, etc, etc, etc. If you are looking to buy a gun and truly enjoy it, SHOOT it first. I am lucky enough that the Ducks Unlimited Great Outdoors Festival happens every year about thirty miles from where I live. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in buying a new gun. They have vendors, reps, and you can try about any gun they produce. Like I said before, Benelli's are good guns, why do you think Beretta bought them out! ;)

This is in reference to the post I put up above here, I put in the wrong Displayed name....I am known to be retarded from time to time. If you had to guard inmates twelve hours a day you would be too! LOL I just hope I don't get ripped on too hard for loving the Xtrema 2s and Beretta in general. This is a good forum with tons of info. I wish there was a Beretta forum. Couldn't find one on their site though....Later.