How to avoid the "Benelli Thumb" (Instructions + Pics + Video)

Duggan

01-09-09 - I'm updating this post to fix the broken pictures from 2 years ago, but for some reason this forum now restricts you from posting more than 2 pictures in any one post.

Because of this, I'm reposting this entire post, with updated working pictures, on Pg 2 of this thread.

Due to this being a common question/issue, I decided to make a thread detailing how best to avoid the legendary "benelli thumb".

Go to pg 2!

Edited by Duggan

I know. I stay up horribly late. I work nights, get out at 12-1, and then go out and do stuff. When I get home, I have my internet stuff to attend to ... I can't get enough information, it's a total addiction.

Oh well.

[ 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you like it.

I'll probably have to link people to it 100 more times in the coming monthes ... its all good though.

I should make a series ...

"How to stop your benelli from rusting away"

"How to remove your stock mag tube from the receiver"

"How to prevent your stock from falling off"

You know, all the things people have trouble with smile.gif

hohohohoh

[ 09-17-2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll see what I can do about rehosting them.

This post is over 2 years old, so it's not surprising that they're down, as they were publicly hosted.

If I have time tonight I'll reupload them to my current server.

:)

Edited by Duggan

01-09-09 - This is a repost of a post I made over 2 years ago, with fixed links and pictures.

Enjoy.

-Duggan

How to AVOID "Benelli Thumb" and live happily ever after!

Due to this being a common question/issue, I decided to make a thread detailing how best to avoid the legendary "benelli thumb".

This is a technique that has worked for me and many others, and I have taken pictures and a video to supplement the written "instructions".

The method is as follows:

1) - Grab a single shell with your thumb, index and middle finger. I find it easiest to have my index finger at the end of the shell, my thumb in the middle, and using the side of my middle finger as support.

thumb01small.jpg

2) - Push the shell up into the lifter, but not INTO the tube, holding it in place with your index finger. Your index finger should be on the front of the shell, up against the receiver, and the shell should be snug up against the follower. The lifter is totally pushed up at this point, and your thumb is not really doing anything yet.

thumb02small.jpg

Edited by Duggan

3) - While still pressing the shell up into the lifter with your index finger on the front, put your thumb flush as possible against the lower half of the shell. Start to push the shell into the tube, keeping your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver and flush with the lower half of the shell.

thumb03small.jpg

4) - Push the shell all the way in, letting off the shell with your index finger to make way for your thumb. Again, keep your thumb straight and your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver; you want to keep your entire thumb rigid for the duration of the push. The idea is to make the shell move, while keeping your thumb rigid, acting as an extension of your arm. Your entire arm pushes the shell in, it is just your thumb that contacts the shell.

thumb04small.jpg

5) - Do not overpush. Your thumb should never enter the tube. This is where the problem comes from ... if your thumb face is perpendicular to the receiver, this cannot happen. Your thumb will hit the receiver and prevent it from happening. Keep in mind that in this position, the end of the lifter is now resting on the tip of your thumb.

thumb05small.jpg

6) - Pull your thumb away clean for another shell, letting the lifter down that was previously resting on the tip of your thumb. With this method, the lifter has no chance of crushing your nail/joint when you pull out, as your thumb was never in the tube to begin with.

The video showing this technique is here:

th_NoThumb.jpg

Now, this technique can be altered to allow you to hold multiple shells in your hand for faster loading, but the principle remains the same.

Keep your thumb rigid, straight, and perpendicular to the receiver. Move your hand as a solid motion, don't bend your thumb at it's lowest joint. Stop pushing once the shell is into the tube, as you do not want your thumb entering the tube.

I hope this helps people out, and that this thread can be referrenced for people who complain of sore thumbs due to improper loading tongue.gif

-Duggan

[ 08-18-2006, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

Edited by Duggan

5) - Do not overpush. Your thumb should never enter the tube. This is where the problem comes from ... if your thumb face is perpendicular to the receiver, this cannot happen. Your thumb will hit the receiver and prevent it from happening. Keep in mind that in this position, the end of the lifter is now resting on the tip of your thumb.

thumb05small.jpg

6) - Pull your thumb away clean for another shell, letting the lifter down that was previously resting on the tip of your thumb. With this method, the lifter has no chance of crushing your nail/joint when you pull out, as your thumb was never in the tube to begin with.

The video showing this technique is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mrctz0SSI

Now, this technique can be altered to allow you to hold multiple shells in your hand for faster loading, but the principle remains the same.

Keep your thumb rigid, straight, and perpendicular to the receiver. Move your hand as a solid motion, don't bend your thumb at it's lowest joint. Stop pushing once the shell is into the tube, as you do not want your thumb entering the tube.

I hope this helps people out, and that this thread can be referrenced for people who complain of sore thumbs due to improper loading tongue.gif

-Duggan

[ 08-18-2006, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

When trying to watch the video,it says:''this video as been removed by user'' thanks for this thread Duggan,very informative.

When trying to watch the video,it says:''this video as been removed by user'' thanks for this thread Duggan,very informative.

Fixed.

Hi,

nice thread. I have a question, what is your bolt releaser ? I'm looking forward a large bolt-releaser as yours, but I have no idea of what kind, and if gunsmith is required for installed it. Thanks for answer.

The bolt release is from GG&G.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26414&title=BENELLI%20BOLT%20RELEASE%20BUTTON

That one doesn't list the M4 as being compatible ... but as far as I know there is only one model, and it works fine.

I high recommend the GG&G bolt release, it's a true replacement part, not just a adhesive on top of the existing parts like some other units.

Their bolt handle, on the other hand, is sub par. The PMT one is much better.

No idea if it fits in a monty, you can install it yourself if you are good with small parts/have time/have patience. It took me like 2 hours to do it with 0 instructions ... people I've instructed on what to do/not do have done it in 30 minutes. If I had to do it over again I'm sure I could do the same. When you deal with small, spring loaded, hard to reach parts, and driving pins through 4 holes you have to line up, it's never going to be easy. If you have someone else helping you, holding the pieces together while you line them up, hold the pin and then hammer it in, the job gets much easier. I didn't have that luxury.

That sucks about not being able to import to france ...