Reliable Ammunition Selection?

REXtheDOG

Recently got a preban M3 (imported June 1993) and took it to the range. Sample size of test was total of about 60-70 rounds. I like the gun a lot, my shoulder was not sore at all but had function problems.

Overall the results of the test was poor reliability hopefully due to the ammo I had on hand.

1) Failed to cycle correctly every shot with Federal 2-3/4" Game Load 3-1/4 Dram 1 oz. shot 6 shot w/ stated muz vel 1290 FPS

2) Failed to cycle correctly all but once with Federal Tactical 2-3/4" 9 Pellet 00 buck (LE132 00). No Dram or muz vel stated on box.

3) Cycled about 20-25 round of 2-3/4" Federal Tactical Hydra-shock HP 1 oz. Rifled Slug (LE127 RS) flawlessly. No Dram or muz vel stated on box.

I did some research on the net and see that Remington Tac 8 00 buck is recomended in improved cylinder semi autos. The M3 is cylinder choke but I'd like to give it a try.

Does anyone know where the Remington Tac 8 can be purchased on the net or in Michigan?

Any other recomendations of premium defense load to try for reliable semi auto function.?

Any recommendation for cheap practice load?

How does the M1 field/SBE cycle bird shot reliably?

If this gun could shoot birdshot reliably in semi mode I'd probably get the longer 26" barrel and a standard stock for hunting.

Thanks,

I have an M1 Super 90 wich cycles everything,,,I modfied the bolt and always kept vigil maintinence on it,,even the recoil spring oiling before it got popular to swap them out for some high cost aftermarket brand,,,Benelli says Simplicity,,,I say owner use common sense,,,,,Right Berrrettta BirdDoggggggggggggggggggggg??????/////////////////////////////M1014/////////////////// :cool:

LOL... :D ;) you bet M1014 !!

Rip that thing down to every individual peice and strip-clean with a brush - everything! Then LIGHTLY oil and wipe-off or use compressed air to remove excess lube and re-assemble using a drop of oil on all 'contact points' of the bolt and reciever.

generally keep at 3 dram, 1-1/8oz loads... shouldn't have any problems unless there is an internal part failure.

[ 03-13-2005, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: birddog ]

I have already disassembled and cleaned everything. Reallly well too. I threw all of my cleaning supplies at it in stages switching when I got bored. MP7, CLP, Kroil, JB bore cleaner, Otis, dewy rod with brush, boresnake. So it is really clean.

Only part I havn't taken off is the magazine tube / recoil spring on the M3. It seems to be on the receiver very tightly and the manual doesn't show how to remove it so I didn't mess with it.

As I recall without getting up or referring back to my original post The Federal Game load I had was 3-1/4 but only 1 oz so maybe that will make the difference.

I wouldn't think that failure to cycle and hold the bolt back on the last shot wouldn't have anything to do with a worn out recoil spring. Would it? This is a pretty clean gun but it is approx 12 years old.

I'll try to find some more powerful shells.

Until then, any other ideas?

Originally posted by REXtheDOG:

Only part I havn't taken off is the magazine tube / recoil spring on the M3. It seems to be on the receiver very tightly and the manual doesn't show how to remove it so I didn't mess with it.

I believe they are set with loctite and require heating for removal. I also heard that freezing works as well.

Its possible to clean the recoil spring and everything w/o removing the magazine tube. Just can't clean the actual mag tube.

Anyway I just got back from the range. It ran fine with Remington 2-3/4" 3-3/4 DR EQ. 9 pellet buck.

So it works fine with full power loads but just won't shoot the light stuff.

BTY it kept all pellet on target in cneter of mass out to 20 yards. At 25 1 pellet flew.

sometimes you get a gun that only shoots a certain type of shell and that is it. i had it happen on two guns one beign the verona i just traded off for my bennelli nova. the cycling of the round may have to do witht he type of casing as well and i had watched each shell and tried different ones until i could get it cycle correctly. with a semi automatic you may find that possioble more and more. so far ith most of the people i know who shoot bennelli i have heard of one other but i think maybe the gun might need to go back to bennelli and have them check it out as it coould be soemthign minor that is causing the problem. hard to say.

i went back to what i knew would work for me and that was the nova. with a pump you control the ejection

rob k