Center bead off center

joe117

I have an SBEII.

The small bead in the mid point on the rib is ever so slightly off center.

It's a little to the right of dead center.

I also have a new Benelli Ultra Light with the carbon fiber rib,

and I'll be darned if the mid bead on that isn't off center also.

The bead on the Ultra Light is not as far off as the SBEII,

but it is still off a little.

I don't use the center bead or pay much attention to the front bead when I'm shooting.

I just wondered why the mid bead is not centered.

I think you might just be, shall we say, pulling my bolt handle.

I don't have any plans to send mine back and, like I said, I don't use the center bead at all when wing shooting.

But it is odd that the bead wouldn't be centered.

I'm thinking that the hole isn't drilled by some guy with a hand drill.

How could it be off center?

There must be dozens of other holes in the gun that need to be exactly where they are supposed to be.

I'm sure they are right or the gun wouldn't work.

In the image below, both arrows are identical in length.

The bead is off-center by slightly less than half the diameter of the bead.

You are right, it's off-center.

You ARE nitpicking.

However, if it's going to keep you up nights, I suggest you contact Customer Service. You live in MD, so it shouldn't take long to get the barrel in to them for correction.

387041.jpg

[ 03-18-2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

tucker301,

I said,

"I don't use the center bead or pay much attention to the front bead when I'm shooting.

I just wondered why the mid bead is not centered."

And,

"I don't have any plans to send mine back and, like I said, I don't use the center bead at all when wing shooting."

I don't understand why you say I'm "nitpicking".

The bead is obviously off center.

I don't shoot deer or turkeys with the gun, so as I said, it doesn't bother me and I have no plans to send it back.

But if you think that the bead being off center is not going to be important to some shooters, you just don't know what you are talking about.

Can you figure out how far off POA the POI would be if I were to shoot a slug at 40 yards using the center and front bead to line up the gun?

I'll figure it out for you if you cant.

It's not a cosmetic problem.

Your attitude seems strange to me.

Why would you minimize the obvious fault and give me two posts accusing me of nitpicking?

I suspect that you don’t know what you are talking about.

Not being particularly concerned about center beads (to be honest I don't even know if my SBEII HAS one) ... I will however advance the notion; that any slug's POI at 40 yards; through any smoothbore; even using a 20x scope; will match POA very nearly zero percent of the time. Lining up two beads ??? Lucky to hit a Brontosuarus. Need a better example to advance the importance of "bead" alignment argument.

Well, I'll tell you what ... for $1,500.00 ... you'd think the center bead would line up ... don't you? :D I mean you wouldn't expect the name to be bent on a pair of Swarovski binoculars would ya? tongue.gif Now, I hope you guys are happy, you had me wide eyed at 1:00am; wondering ... do I have a center bead? :confused: AND ... if I DO have a center bead; where is it on my barrel??? :confused: What do I do if it's crooked? :eek: :eek: IF ... I cut the thing off, will it look worse than leaving it crooked? The suspense! Soon as the sun comes up I’m pulling up the floorboards in the shed and checking out my beads. :rolleyes: :cool: I can only hope this doesn't degenerate into a nightmare scenario.

PS ... stand by ... I might be back asking for help.

Butch

"I wonder if it’s possible that the manufacturer tests each gun individually, and the bead placement on your shotgun is on the right place even if it looks off the center? "

Actually, I was wondering about that myself.

In fact that's why I came on this site asking about the bead being off center.

"two beads are too close to each other to rely on their accuracy. Maybe it’s easier to aim this way, but further distance between two points provides more accuracy."

The closer the beads are together, the more error will be caused by the offset, should someone line up the two beads in aiming the gun.

The only reason for having two beads would be to make it easier to line up the gun on a fixed target like a deer or a turkey.

The SBEII is a fairly expensive gun and I'm a little surprised that you folks consider this obvious fault to be nothing worth talking about.

Let me ask you this,

Are you proud of your SBEII?

If you show it to your buddy and he notices the center bead is off center, will you tell him that it doesn't matter?

What will you say when he asks if this is an example of Benelli attention to detail?

It's a sight on the gun.... A sight...And it's mounted off center.

Anyone who looks close will notice it.

And you all say that this is just fine with you?

And pointing it out is nitpicking?

I sent them an email asking about it.

I hope to get an answer back saying that the mid bead is mounted in order to line up with the bore.

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

And as of today I have another thing to talk to them about.

I'll post that thread right now.

It does look like a mouse chew doesn't it?

Actually, the piece that is missing was hanging by a thin piece.

I pulled it off leaving what is in the picture.

It just looked to me like there was a fault line in the molding process.

I will call them tomorrow.

[ 03-19-2006, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: joe117 ]

Here's what ol' joe117 says about some of us;

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=430509&page=2

How did I ever kill anything with that big ol' Raybar orange blob on my Ithaca 37's :confused:

How 'bout that marsh-malo thing that comes on most Brownings :confused:

It is a frickin' mirackle I ever kilt anything before joe117 rode in to save the day!

smile.gif

mudhen - CA

Here's what I said.

Take a look at what was said and see if this isn't a fair report of what folks on this site told me

So I went to the Benelli site, got on their forum asking about my off center mid bead.

I had five or six guys tell me that I was "nitpicking".

No one over there seems to think that the bead being off center is any problem at all.

Know how the B guns get beat up on this site? Someone's always got something bad to say?

Well, over on the Benelli site it looks like they all drank the cool aid.

One guy photoshopped some equal length lines on the picture I posted showing a close up of the bead.

It's easy to see from those lines that the bead is offset by half the width of the bead.

Not just a couple of thou, it's obviously offset and anyone can see it.

And those guys all seem to think that's just fine.

What's in that cool aid anyway?

"How did I ever kill anything with that big ol' Raybar orange blob on my Ithaca 37's

How 'bout that marsh-malo thing that comes on most Brownings

It is a frickin' mirackle I ever kilt anything before joe117 rode in to save the day!"

What are you talking about Mudhen?

What has me pointing out that the mid bead is off center on my gun got to do with "marsh-malo" things?

"Save the day"? That doesn't even make sense.

You really think that what I posted about the mid bead being off center should not have been said?

I wouldn't care if the gun came without a mid bead. I don't know why it has one.

But since they decided to put one on there, I would have thought that it would be centered close enough so that people wouldn't look at it and ask why it's off to the right.

I'll tell you what, if you think that I'm being unreasonable to point this out,

you have been drinking the cool aid.

I have no problem with Joe or anyone else taking issue with the off-center bead.

I just thought he wasn't being honest about it not being a big deal. Obviously it is a very big deal to him.

That being said, the very first thing he should have done would have been to contact CS.

Let's read it together....

THE FORUMS ARE NOT A CONDUIT TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE VIA PHONE OR EMAIL (301-283-6981). DO NOT POST CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS IN THE FORUMS.

If he wants to P&M about B guns with his slow-witted B gun envying friends over at Refuge, then so what? But don't bring it up in here and expect to be coddled.

I am being honest about it not being a big deal. I really don't plan to send the barrel back, even if CS says I can do it.

It's not a big deal.....Really.

This whole flap started not because I had a question about the bead or that it was a big deal to me.

I posted this question about the bead thinking that someone would say that it was a factory adjustment of some kind.

I wasn't looking for an answer from CS through this forum.

I emailed them before I brought it up here.

But the first thing I got was a bunch of nonsense about me being a "nitpicker".

The SBEII was the first Benelli for me, I just bought another, the Ultra Light 12ga.

I bought the Ultra Light sight unseen. I never held one till I went to pick it up.

I like Benelli.

I own a Franchi Titanium and a Beretta AL391 in 20ga too.

I like these guns. I'm a good customer.

Asking a question about something like this bead shouldn't receive the load of nonsense that I received from some on here.