SBE II patterning High

glassman

I have a new SBE II that is patterning 8" to 12" high above point of inpact. It does this with all factory chokes and with any type of shot. The pattern is great but way high. Any ideas on what may be the problem? I've tried to call Benelli for a week now and have yet to talk to anyone.

I'd love to comment and offer advice, but your post is misleading and lacks information.

Misleading:

"patterning 8" to 12" high above point of inpact"

Point of impact is where the pattern hits the board.

Point of aim is where you meant for it to hit.

Incomplete:

What is your previous experience with shotguns?

What is the distance at which you are testing?

What loads are you testing?

What do you consider a proper sight picture?

Have you tried adjusting the drop using the shims that came with the gun?

More information will help you to get better advice on how to proceed.

As far as contacting Benelli goes, it's the busy season - stay on the line and they'll get to you.

E-mail is futile.

Tucker,

The pattern is 8 to 12 inchs above the point of aim. I had a couple of other people shoot the gun and results was the same. I'am shooting at a distance of 35 yards. I have shot winchester #8 lead, Kent steel #2, winchester dry locks, Federal buckshot. I've tried all the shims and all the choke tubes. I've shot a remington auto 12 ga. and 10 ga. for the past 8 years and both guns pattern were the bead aims. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

You're just going to have to be on hold until they get to you.

I point and shoot more than I aim, but I always place the bead at the base of the target - looks like the target is sitting on or just above the barrel.

Never had a problem wingshooting.

Glassman, I just bought one today and I am having the same problem. there isn't any use to sit on hold waiting for a woman to answer cause they'll just tell you that there is nothing they can do about it and and your stuck with a $1500 gun that won't hit where its supposed to. I have an older sbe with the lower vent rib and had to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and add a piece of leather onto the stock to get my cheek up off of it enough. but it hits dead on. I don't know yet what I'm gonna do about this but if the manufacturer can't assist me with the problem maybe they can assist my lawyer with his( which is me raising cain because a manufacturer can't fix a problem that other people besides me are havin with their products.)

I hope you guys are able to get your problems sorted out. Sucks to buy something new and not have it work like you thought it would.

However, being a business man I know that when someone calls me and tells me they are about to sue me for whatever, my first instinct is to recite to them "my" lawyers phone number and wish them well.

I tend to believe that it's best to try to resolve the issue and or find out what can be done about it before threatening to sue someone. If customer service said they wouldn't do anything about it, why? What did they tell you? What was their reasoning for telling you the gun is fine? Perhaps some of the guys here have heard the answers and can further guide you along, or direct you to someone above the front line of customer service.

Then again, maybe they are just buttheads and you will need a lawyer. Dunno. Toss out what info you have here and hopefully some of these fine fellows will help you out.

They wasn't going to do anything about because she couldn't, there wasn't a "D" shim made for that gun yet and benelli had no plans to make one for it either. I'm not gonna sue anyone, But it really irks me to spend that much for something and it not work as it should. I mean thats 1500 dollars. If someone has gotten a better idea then please speak up. but if it don't work out then I'll keep using my other sbe and try to get rid of this one but a person will never get his money back. You don't how they are going to shoot until you pull them out of the box and run a couple rounds through it. the dealer can't hardly give my money back how is he going to sell a new gun thats been shot? The manufacturer won't help him out I'm sure of that before we even get started. I'm not into holdin low or high or right or left to make it hit where you're pointing. for that kinda money it should hit exactly where you're pointing no exceptions. I have several other nice shotguns but really like the feel of this new sbe II. All my other shotguns hit where they are pointed and this one should too. sdkidaho, you are right about the suing issue. I shouldn't have even brought it up but when your mad and upset about something like this a customer service dept should at least go to bat for you the consumer. thats pretty much their jobs. correct?

I to am a business man and dont think a lawyer is the answer but I would expect more help from customer service. If this is normal for the gun then I will adjust to the gun. I really like the way it handles and after talking to a few other people I think it is common for the gun to shoot high. Thanks for all the replys.

I had to make two adjustments when I bought my LH SBEII.

The first was to install the RH cast shims, because I was so used to shooting RH guns that the LH setup was actually wrong for me.

The second was to adjust my sight picture so that I was seeing the full target above the barrel rather than covering the target with the end of the barrel.

Now - or as soon as I'm healthy again - I shoot better than ever.

Red Mule - You can't expect Benelli to be able to make a gun to suit 100% of the consumers off the shelf.

You should work with the gun and give it a chance before giving up on it.

Try adjusting your sight picture as described above.

Once you get used to it, you'll like the results.

glassman,

You have a positive attitude and are willing to adapt and to be flexible. Soon, you will be a huge fan of the SBEII.

The SBE II barrels I have seen have a rib that is higher in the back than at the tip of the barrel. I think the difference is 1/8" or 3/16". For a 28" barrel, if it is 3/16" difference, the gun would shoot about 9.6" high. If it is 1/8", the gun would shoot about 6.4" high. When I asked Benelli why they did this the said "customers wanted it that way".

I am used to the impact being at the point of aim. However I bought a new barrel for by SBE (I not II) with the sloping rib this year and it worked just fine for ducks and geese. If the effective pattern is 30-40 " at 40 yds, then shooting 6-9 inches high doesn't matter much.

Have you thought of going to the dealer you purchased the gun from and asking them to help you fit it? Not everyone is a gunsmith. Shotgun fit is critical to the point of impact. It is your Sights Most trap shooters prefer the gun to hit about 70% high because the target is on the rise. Sheet shooters like it to be 50/50. The sight beads on the barrel are only a point of reference. They are not rifle sights. There are smiths who actually set-up your gun for you for a minimal fee. You can find them at about any Big shotgun event. Ask at your local fish and game, or gun club who works best for them. Point in fact most firearms will outshoot their owners. Sorry pretty long winded FIN

JakeK9, great idea, had one on the reloading bench that I took off the other sbe when it didn't work out on that gun but centered the pattern right up on this one. I had thought of doing something similar to this by making the rib flat all the way out using a piece of aluminum and then super gluing it to the existing rib. might still do it. still no sense in $1500 gun not hitting where its pointed. if it was built for trap shooting then thats what it should be advertised as. I'd like to have a choice of ribs on these guns even if you had to send barrel back to have it changed.