After market tubes

Scott Vix

The Beretta Optima Plus LM is around .718.

.718 in the Benelli Crio will shoot between IC and Skeet.

The chokes interchange, but will not function the same.

A Benelli Crio LM runs .710, which is closer to a Beretta Optima Plus Improved Modified.

I think Drundel knows much about this subject - maybe he can chip in his $.02?

mudhen - CA

Mudhen, can you refer me to your reference source on this? Also I did not know Benelli offered a Crio LM choke-order direct? I don't need a choke between skeet and IC but I did hit some pretty long targets-45/50 yards on 1 particular station and just crushed them with #8 reloads. Thanks much.

Pardon me - I just noticed you guys were talking about SS's & S II's, not SBE II's.

My bad, especially since I knew Scott bought a SS.

But there may still be an issue with bore ID versus choke constriction.

Beretta overbore's it's Optima Plus guns. Don't know if it overbores the Optima guns, but the choke constrictions match on both versions.

It is my understanding that the Benellis are almost underbored and while the chokes may interchange, they will not offer the same service.

Have any of you S II /SS guys miked the barrel ID?

The guy I hunt with miked his S II and I recall it was around .729.

I get much info from www.choketube.com, but they do not list the Benelli Extended Crio choke. You can see the differences on other chokes like Optima Plus vs. Crio Plus on the website.

According to places like Comp-n-Choke, LM in the Benelli Ext Crio is .15 constriction, or .714.

Given that the Beretta Optima LM is .718, you are getting pretty close there, prolly too close to tell any difference.

Scott, I like anything extended from Briley and I like the newer Carlson extended tubes.

Both specifically list Crios in their selections.

Geno, I never said Benelli sells these chokes, I was referring to the many aftermarket companies, some of which make OEM tubes for Benelli btw.

mudhen - CA

Mudhen, I checked last night and it was a Beretta Optima LM choke, not an Optima Plus. I have never miked the barrel-but will check in to that. From what you are saying, it sounds like the Beretta LM choke I bought is real close to a Benelli aftermarket LM choke which is good enough for me. Any other comments or words of advise? Thanks.

Yes, it sounds like the two brands are much closer with the Optima Bore and the Extended Criochoke system found on the Sport series.

I know that Beretta overbores it's semi-autos and Benelli does not, so that is why there is a larger gap with when comparing those two series.

My friend's S II really likes tight chokes for lead, you may want to try an even tighter choke than LM.

mudhen - CA

Yes, tight is good in my opinion. My main competition shotgun since I started shooting registered NSCA this year is a 12 SKB 685 and I almost always use LM in the under and IM in the over and just change shot when needed. I hardly ever use cylinder or skeet anymore. For trap I use the Benelli with full choke for handicap usually 22 yards and IM for 16 yard. When we hunt pheasants in SD, we start with IC then after getting a few flushes in the next county over, switch to M. I do use the Sport at competition now and then but have never seen anyone else using one. The Beretta Techneys and 391 are popular around here for semi's and a lot of Browning 525 o/u, as well as the expensive Krieghoffs, Kolars and such. Most of the Master shooters I've come to know and watch use tighter chokes and it makes sense with all the odd-ball angles and long shots that are set for registered shooting. We have our Wisconsin State shoot in a couple weeks and am practicing and hoping for the best. Thanks for your observations on the chokes.