slugs and chokes

Wulf

ok real quick easy question here, because i'm gettting mixed answers at Benelli ..on a smooth bore barrel, with all 5 chokes avail which is used to shoot slugs out of?

out of 5 calls i've made to Benelli i''ve had 2 call for modified 2 call for Improved Cylinder and 1 for cylinder ..someone help me please????

Wulf

Lupinus Nobilitas

________

VX800

Edited by Wulf

If you are shooting a smooth bore barrel, shoot rifled slugs through the cylinder choke tube. Don't go any tighter than the improved cylinder. Try them both to see which one patterns better for you.

I have no experience shooting saboted slugs through a rifled choke tube, however, I have a lot of experience shooting a sabot through a rifled barrel. No comparison to smooth bore/rifled slug combinations. If you can afford it, plunk down the cash for a rifled barrel and buy the best quality sabot slug you can afford. Trust me, you won't regret it. 2 inch groups at 100 yds can be expected out of the average shooter. When your staring at a neck shot in heavy cover at the buck of a lifetime, you'll have confidence squeezing the trigger.

??? You really think Benelli should test every brand of slug - every weight of slug - every possible combination of slug & choke, etc. ??? And then publish it?

There are thousands of possible combinations!

The problem here is that your question is not "quick and easy"!

Why would you want a quick and easy answer when harvesting a game animal anyway or defending your home???

Do your field work!!

Anyway - the slug manufacturer is better suited to tell you about their product. Some give good info, some give little.

Try www.brenekkeusa.com for starts - their smooth bore slugs work with all sizes of chokes (according to them), and their info is good. I've knocked a few Iowa whitetails off their feet with the Rottweil slug + SBE w/factory IC choke tube - works fine.

Federal and Winchester offer little help.

www.lightfieldslugs.com also talks about choke tubes in smoothbores - they recommend buying a rifled choke tube.

The bottom line is that standard choke tubes do little if anything for a Foster slug - so who cares which one you use. Most recommend cylinder or IC. I would guess that tigher tubes will not help and may get fouled with plastic.

A rifled choke tube might help - Rhino makes a decent one - my M1 was marginally more accurate with the Rhino rifled choke & sabots.

One thing I know for sure is that the Iowa boys knock deer on their arse with whatever gun they know how to shoot! They don't care about sabots, rifled chokes, etc. they just know where their slug is going to go and how to put slug to bone!

mudhen - CA

*/em gives mudhen a calmer downer*

heh no bro we know while they have the ability to do such a task that they would never becuse they would be better off saying "just get a rifled barrel"

but i've settled for the IC choke it patterens very well @ 25 yards which is an insane distance for self defence *put 3 rounds all cutting each others corner in an upside down triange in the head reagon across the mid ear line about the nose area* funny you should say Brennekk Mud, thats the exact slug i use, that and BRI which if i'm not mistaken is made by the same company but I love the KO's for good solid consitant rounds

i just wish there would be 1 scripted answer from Benelli CS department and i actually went back to check the diameter of my modified with a set of digital mic's and thankfully its fine still within the low 69 area

any ways take care and be well everyone thank you all for your input

Wulf

Lupinus Nobilitas

________

silversurfer vaporizer

Edited by Wulf

Here is some info I got from a FAQ on Benelli site I retained:

"Q: What choke should I use for slugs?

A: A Cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel. Sabot slugs should be shot through our fully-rifled slug barrels."

Stay safe,

Tacman