Can I convert a m3s90 -> m3s90 Folder?

weasle

Weasel...a machinest down here in Texas...has made a few copies of the original folder for the M3 & is even got some protos of another type config for both the M4 & M3...that look & function really kewl..& are USA Manufacture..he's only waiting to make sure he catches no flack for any Rights infringements...I'll shoot ya an email for his contact info asap ..when he get's it worked out..

• 2 months later...

I don't believe that since the sunsetting of the AWB last year that it is against the law as long as it is 26" total length or longer when folded up. [i beleive that is an NFA rule.]

And if it is shorter, it still can be legal... You'll just have to get a BATF stamp for it.

I could be completely incorrect. It could happen. I have been once... or was it twice..? before.

Ciao'

Greenmantis

This falls under the 89 ban not the 94. This is an "imported shotgun" and as such can not be configured in a maner of guns thaqt were banned from import in 89. That is why the M3 folder stoped being avaliable in 89 not 94. Do you not think that Benelli would be selling the M3 folders here if they could? That is what makes the M4 deal so weird. From looking at the law they "Should" not be able to sell the M4 with a colapsable stock here right now. Do do do do , do do do do. You can have all the opinions you want, the law is the law.

I'm not entirely sure that you are completely correct. I am not an expert on firearms laws, but I am aware of at least two companies that manufacture aftermarket collapsible AR style stocks for Remington and Mossberg shotguns. [by the way they look totally badass when installed.] Those are perfectly legal to install on your weapon as long as total length at its shortest configuration isn't less than 26"

Mesa Tactical is one of the companies I have seen make these adapter kits. Somehow I don't think they would stay in business if it were illegal to install these kits on shotguns.

I seem to recall that the '89 import ban limited what could be installed on the weapons coming into the country. AKS got around this by installing regular rifle butstocks and importing the folding stocks seperately... Other companies just moved portion of their operation to the USA. SIG ARMS?

It is possible that the BATF considers folders as a seperate entity. I wouldn't know why... but BATF rules are confusing and many times without logic.

A couple of other things that I would like to mention... While I am aware that the BATF can be brutish and draconian in their enforcement of laws... In most criminal charges the state must prove two things: mens rea [the guilty mind] and actus rea [the guilty act] I.E. Intent and action.

For instance you couldn't be charged with grand auto theft if you came out of the mall got in "your" car and drove away... only later to realize this wasn't your car even though it looked like your car, and the keys worked in it. So you call to return it. There is no intent.

My point is that the Feds aren't really interested in busting a little guy that broke an BATF rule unintentionally. And when was the last time you saw an official weapons inspector come to your house? "Excuse me sir, We need to inspect your shotgun... Uh-huh just as I suspected! 24.5" in length! Collar 'em boys! You're goin' downtown."

These rules are mostly used as a tool to "lean on" somebody for more serious crimes, to gain leads on other criminals, and to make sentencing worse for bad people. For the most part you won't get in trouble for minor stuff unless you warrant a closer look at by the feds.

You mileage may very... And Randy Weaver may disagree with me..

Ciao'

Greenmantis

Those folders on those shotguns are completely legal because they are pumps. Since 89 it has been ileagal to import a semi auto shotgun that holds more than 5 rounds or has a folding stock. Why do you supose we can't buy the pretty M3T or the SPAS 15 shown on the Benelli LEO page? Believe me if it was legal they would be in the stores today and not going for $4500 in the case of the SPAS 15 and about $2600 for the M3T. It also stoped the Franchi SPAS 12 and the LAW Folder. I have a LAW and a M3T and I guess I will leave them to my Son cause I am not selling them. Just a few years ago you would see one or two M3T's on Gun Broker but I have not seen one for the last year. You can't convert your M3 because it is illeagal to convert any shotgun to a configuration that became un importable in 89. If you had a preban shotgun (a HK M3 imported before 89) it has the long mag tube and I supose you could get away with the conversion as I don't think serial number indicated if it is a folder or a fixed but is it worth it if some ATF yahoo decides he wants to see you behind plexaglass talking to Mom? Not to me anyway, go looking and pay the man and get an M3T you can take to the range without glancing around to see who is looking. my 2 cents.

[ 04-28-2005, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: jmikesteen ]

I work for a class 3 dealer who has the most kick *** collection of private guns you can imagine. Everything from a fully auto mpds5 up to a Ma-Deuse. Even an mg42. That gun is my favorite. It has a cyclic rate of up to 1800 rds. per minute! Millatary had to specially train our troops not to turn and run when they heard that motha in battle in WWII. The reason I mention the above is becuase I was curious about the M3 folder question myself so I asked him today. If anyone knows its my boss. jimikesteen is correct about converting the m3. It can be done ONLY if the firearm was imported prior to 89. Legally that is.

Well that's good to know. I guess... Totally ******* retarded law if you ask me. I can't modify a shotgun that doesn't effect its functioning one bit, but I can legally buy a .50BMG semi-auto rifle with a high power optical scope. [Which I support the right to own...]

I despise gun abolitionists.

I am curious about this importation ban though. I want to know if the NRA is working to overturn it. Does anybody know where I can find the exact wording of the bill?

Speaking of this: Oregon has a SCARY Bill before the Oregon Legislature is Senate Bill 927 WOW!! AR-15's illegal hmmm Guess the Police won't be borrowing any of these from the local gunstore if they have a big bank robbery here huh? It doesn't have a prayer of passing and ironically has inspired people like myself to stand up and take MORE action against the antigun lobbiests.

If you live in Oregon I urge you to contact your representative and tell him how you feel about this issue. This bill would directly affect Oregonians ability to buy the M1, M3, & M4 with pistolgrip stocks.

[ 04-29-2005, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Greenmantis ]

• 5 years later...