Why is the "Civilian" M4s90 out of stock everywhere?

nbox

If you are in Cal, and don't have the option of a 11707, you may want to look into the 11701 (M1014 Limited Edition) instead of the 11703. The telescoping stock can't collapse on either of them, plus with the 11703 you may end up with a 4-port barrel depending on whether or not it is "old stock." Also, the 11701 doesn't have screw-in choke tube hassles.

Just a thought.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Traders is correct...and I say IF...then a 11703 would not be legal either. The only material difference, since they share the same recoil tube (and will not allow a collapsing stock to function) is the barrel. The 11703 barrel has screw-in choke tubes and the 11701 doesn't (fixed choke).

Traders may be a little confused on this one...I find it hard to believe that there is a California law that says an imported semi-auto shot gun MUST have a screw-in choke tube barrel to enter the state.

:rolleyes:

[ 01-05-2006, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: usctf ]

I had Traders in Oakland run a check to see if the M1014 is legal in CA. They told me yes at first. But when Traders received the M1014, then they told me that I could not receive it and they shipped it back to the online retailer. They have a long counter in their store and no one wanted to help me when I had this issue. One person after the other ignored me. It took days to resolve this issue.

Moral of the story: Do Not shop at Traders in Oakland.

Sheesh between Guns America and Gunbroker there are 8 M4/M1014s listed right now, 3 are at least M1014s. You need to do some legwork, find a friendlier FFL and hook them up with a seller.

And yes M1014s can be had in CA. I just completed the DROS and took possesion of mine on Nov 7. A dealer in San Jose brought it in from Oklahoma. I found it the next day while heading to a trade show, bought it and then had the San Jose dealer ship it to my local FFL here in Orange Co. There were no issues with the transaction though it passed through several hands. So easy I almost want to get another.

Darn Nbox thats crazy, Traders should not have not done that to you, but their known for being ***holes. Look for another FFL, even the most paranoid FFLs here in Bakersfield, Ca would even take the m1014 or the 11707. There is no California Law that I'm aware of that states that you have to have a removable choke tube. Pretty much every shotgun I've ever seen at the range don't have removable choke tubes.

It seems to me that they took your shotgun and sold it to someone else, probably because of how high-profile seller it is. Why else would they ignore you? You should maybe report this to the Better Business Bureau?

You may have to drive quite a few miles to find another Benelli Dealer, but there are better dealers than Traders.

"This is just an opinion, not legal advice"

I guess you should look around for another FFL dealer whose willing to do the transfer and also willing to sign an agreement. If you still want the M4.

"This is not legal advice, just my opinion and should not be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice seek legal counsil"

[ 01-10-2006, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: arvs ]

Arvs,

Do you know of any Benelli M4 CA model. I placed an order for one in December and it is a model # 11708. Do know were to find a list of CA shotgun laws?

Can you own the 1014 in CA?

Thanks,

[ 01-14-2006, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: 5th US ]

Originally posted by nbox:

Is there a list of CA. approved shotguns?

No, California does not approve shotguns, only handguns.

California's assualt weapon law pertaining to shotguns is actually pretty straightforward. The following combinations are considered assault weapons:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock.

(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

See? Simple.

A nice primer on California firearms laws is here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=212690

Most of the other restrictions pertaining to Benellis are Federal, specifically the 1989 922® ruling.

AR- Ballistic,

Is there any difference in the 11703 that you bought, and the M4s that are being sold on GunBroker.com, say item# 42509074.

What will the CA M4 have, then the standard M4

say the 11707? I have the new Benelli catalog and they only have the 11707. That is with the pistol grip stock, and 4+1 magazine cap. Looks like you can own in CA??

Thanks,

5th US

[ 01-16-2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: 5th US ]

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner 5t US I did'nt see this post. Anyway , If you can even get a California legal M4 these days the only difference between the 11703 and 11707 LE is the collapsable stock I beleive. You may find a 11703 with what looks like the collapsable stock but it only pivots for close quarter side shooting. Oh , and of corse you will only be able to have the 4+1 configuration with the fake black mag tube extension. Also NBOX posted some food for thought concerning pistol grips. And living in California myself I agree that pistol grips may be an issue also. I would'nt doubt that. NOTE: See if you can get the 2 port barrel instead of the "low recoil" 4 port. You can read some others reviews about 4 port VS 2 port barrels and the shooting data that surrounds this topic here in the Benelli forum. Best of luck to you in your search.

Originally posted by 5th US:

AR- Ballistic,

Is there any difference in the 11703 that you bought, and the M4s that are being sold on GunBroker.com, say item# 42509074.

What will the CA M4 have, then the standard M4

say the 11707? I have the new Benelli catalog and they only have the 11707. That is with the pistol grip stock, and 4+1 magazine cap. Looks like you can own in CA??

Thanks,

5th US

[ 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: AR-BALLISTIC ]

Originally posted by pdw4137:

I just recently spoke with a friend of mine from LAPD, and according to him, the 11707 in its factory delivered configuration is in direct voilation of the CA. Assault Weapons Laws. In order for any S/A shotgun to be legal, it must have a straight/standard stock.

Your friend from LAPD is misinformed. They often are.

Read the law as posted above. A pistol grip stock is fine on semi-autos unless the stock is a folding or collapsible stock.

This is why CA. residents are screwed:

1. The standard non-pistol grip version is not listed by Benelli for 2006.

2. Impact Guns & Cal Sporting Armory seem to be the only online retail site that has them or will put you on a waiting list. But both Impact Guns & Cal Sporting Armory will not ship the pistol grip stock M4 to CA.

3. Yes there are the auction sites. This seems to be the only option left. Price is around $1800. Most reputable auctions have high reserve prices set. I wonder if the prices will climb to $2000 since there's a limited supply.

Is there a S.F. bay area shop that has one in stock for $1800?

http://nbox00.tripod.com

[ 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: nbox ]

Found a 11701 (M1014 Limited Edition) M4 at the Sportsman’s Warehouse in Round Rock, Texas. The price was $1399. The sales guy also said that they carry the mag. extension but they were sold out. He did have one that was damaged (end was crushed and split) and was being returned to Benelli for some reason.

Contact info is :

Sportsman’s Warehouse – 512-218-8880

• 4 weeks later...