Which Oil to use???

Paolo

welcome paolo,

i use hoppes #9 gun oil and hoppes weatherguard gun oil on my sbe and nova and it works great.

i use the #9 the whole season until it gets cold (our low this week was -7F with a -20 to -30 windchill) then i switch to the weatherguard.

one important tip would be to scrub all the packing greese out of the rails before you shoot it for the first time.

good luck

[ 01-08-2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: tj ]

I am a new owner of a SBE also 2 weeks, the gentleman that sold me my gun said to use any major makers gun oil very sparingly, he showed me his gun with over 12000 rounds through it this year alone and it looked and felt like new. I know his gun is several years old. He owns an all black model and he has worn through the outside finish on the gun in several places.

I've had great results with RemOil and terrible results with Shooters Choice FP-10. The FP-10 turned into basically honey after a year on the metal of my guns and knives. I was having jamming problems with my SBE and HK USP 40 (both very reliable firearms). Once I switched to RemOil all the jamming went away. The coldest temperature I've used the RemOil was 15 degrees F.

I second TJ's advice of cleaning the packing grease out of the rails and also highly suggest cleaning out, or at least spraying some oil into, the recoil spring assembly.

I got a bottle of Benelli Oil with my SBE (about 3-4 years ago) and I really like it. It's thin, clear with very little odor....I don't have much left, but may want to get more if I can buy some at a reasonable price.

Anyone know where to get this stuff?

Thanks.

VonFatman

i use breakfree clp in all my guns as a maintnence oil and cleaner if im having real problems i will use a product called PB blaster, but a warning about pb it may attack some finnishes so you may want to test it in an un noticeable spot before you spray it all over the place it will bust thew any thing and free up the most gummed up / rusted parts

Militec is very good, as is Pro-Tec - both oil and grease. I have heard to avoid Breakfree - after it heats up, one of components that allows it to be viscous tends to burn away and can leave residue and thicker than you want product.

Stay safe,

Tacman

• 19 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I feel the need to point out that Militec-1 is not recommended for use as a lubricant by the military and did not pass military testing and evaluation.

Here is one government report on the failures of miltec-1  https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-09-735r.pdf

Here is a quote:

MILITEC-1 Did Not Pass Any Tests and Evaluations as a Small Arms Cleaner, Lubricant, and Preservative

On an unrelated note.  Benelli's Ben-Oil appears to be rebranded MF-82.  On their site they point out that they are Benelli's supplier.  

https://www.mf82.it/en

For the bolt guides, pretty much use whatever oil you want. I will say definitely do not use oil in the magazine. Use some type of dry spray lube. Though probably not quite as important, I also recommend the same for the recoil spring assembly in the stock.
The reason is probably obvious, yet I see it all the time. People lube the magazine tube with copious amounts of oil. Then, while out hunting the drop a shell on the ground. They pick it up and pop it in without ever cleaning it. All that dust, lint, plant debris, etc. is now in your magazine and will gunk it up.

I have made a lot of money from friends buying their non-functioning "jam-o-matics", cleaning these tubes out, and reselling them working perfectly.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and ATF in a 50/50 mix. Its made to lube parts running far faster and hotter than my M4's ever will. It was maybe $6 or $8 each when I bought them 5 or 6 years ago and the half gallon will last my lifetime. I can however, pour a bit in a small bottle labeled "gun oil" and sell it for $25 for anyone who would like some!

• Upvote 2

I have a SBEII and it has never jammed with thousands of rounds as well.  All I have ever done was wipe it off with light oil and press on. It's hard to jam these guns. I don't think it matters much what oil you use, but dont use heavier oils or lube, they don't need it.  YMMV

PB