Binelli 101 question

kcpiper

Hello folks, brand new to the Benelli scene and have a few basic questions regarding the differences in guns. Here goes:

1. I know the SBE2 launches the 3-1/2's, but is this the only difference between it and the M2?

2. I will be using this gun for all my scattergun needs from Turkey hunting to clays. I love the overall usage of the synthetic, but the Montefeltro is pulling at my heartstrings on the classic look. Is this gun as good as it claims to be? Whats the difference in this one and the M2 other than looks?

3. As stated before, I will be shooting clays with this gun. Any problems with 2-3/4" light 9 loads via the inertia system?

Any help would be appreciated, most salesman just say they are all good choices...but honestly for the money I want to know everything before laying a dozen dead presidents on the table!

Regards from KC!

kcpiper,

If you want to shoot light loads, DO NOT buy an Inertia Driven shotgun.

The inertia systems are only recommended for standard loads of 3 drams / 1-1/8 oz.

1 oz. and 7/8 oz. loads may not cycle properly.

Your desire to shoot light loads rules out all three guns under consideration.

Others will say that theirs cycle light loads with no problems, and that's true. But if you buy one and it doesn't cycle light loads, Customer Service is going to do nothing and you'll become yet another PO'd Inertia shotgun owner who refuses to accept the weapon for what it is.

[ 03-20-2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Thanks tucker301, I mentioned the light loads because my wife is just getting into trap. I am curently putting her on the 870 20ga diet right now, and was curious if the light ones would cycle if I put her on the Binelli. I guess inertia works by the theory of every action has an opposite and equal reaction. So your reply makes good sense. I was truly amazed the other day when I cycled the chamber and felt it for the first time. Hardly any friction. Pretty amazing. I would still like to know the differences in the line of guns.

The SBEII is the only one of the lot to handle 3.5" shells.

Both the SBEII and the M2 have the crio barrels.

Take a close look at the receivers and you will see that the barrel on the SBEII extends to make the top half of the receiver. This is a welcomed feature at cleaning time.

In fit and feel, you'll find the SBEII and the M2 to be nearly identincal, with their ComforTech stocks and shorter forearms. The Monte's lines are more traditional.

Also please note that the SBEII and M2 come with sling mounts (a consideration for any turkey hunter), while the Montefeltro does not.

The '05 model SBEII's come pre drilled and tapped for scope mounts (Weaver #93). The Monte doesn't, and I don't think the M2 does either.

Both the SBEII and M2 are available with SteadyGrip stocks. Although it may be difficult and expensive to find an extra SteadyGrip for either right now, they should be an available accessory in a year or two.

ALL of these guns are LIGHT, and they will be a pleasure to carry, but will definitely deliver a blow to the shoulder under heavier loads.

I notice the recoil on the bench when shooting paper turkeys, but when I'm shooting geese with 3.5" hevi-shot, it feels like a 20 ga.

[ 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

I agree with tucker, not a gun for light loads. Cycles 31/2's really well but can be muderous on the shoulder. My hunting partner who had shoulder surgery several years ago found that 31/2's caused a lot of pain quickly and he had to abandon that round completely for three inch. He has a nova pump.

After using my SBE for several months now I find it a good gun. It's light therefore easy to carry but does it shot better than a 391 or 11-87? My score are all similar, just a matter of personal preference.

Before you buy make sure you check the gun carefully finish, security of the butt pad, ease of safety motion and a choke tube wrench that fits all the choke tubes. Toss out the mattel case a and get a good aluminum case to protect your purchase.

One last thing, I went on a gun buying binge with a friend to Bass Pro shops and the salesman there took his time with my friend and gave a great pearl of advice. Pick three guns you really like close you eyes with each one and see how it feels in your hands, the swing, the weight and the balance. Most people can't fire 10 rounds in 11/2 seconds and do clean their guns more often than once a year. Pick the gun that feels best and is well made and you'll get lots of birds.

I made a trip to Cabelas and took your advice sleepydoc, I see the differences you mentioned. I want a gun that hunts, not looks pretty in the guncase...so now its down to the M2 or SBE2. You know with Hevi-Shot these days its hard to justify the need for the 3-1/2's in my world. Sure, its more...but I like getting them in close anyway (turks). On another note, I also switched out chokes this weekend on my 870. I bought a Jellyhead for my Hevi-shot and it shoots so tight Im afraid of a miss under 20 yards! No scope for me, so its back to Full.