Nova vs. 870 SuperMag

camo3235

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Nova one month ago. I ran a few hundred shells through it, cleaned it, took it apart and checked it out...it simply would not shuck as smoothly as I'd like. I figured it may be a problem with ammo, so I switched ammo, no difference. I tried a buddy's Nova, same type of action.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Nova, but I fully beleive it will action as smoothly as an 870. I traded the Nova on a 870 Express which immediately shucked smoothly. This is more subjective, but the 870 is also much better handling in my opinion. The smaller pistol grip and receiver make it much easier to shoot IMO.

I think the Nova is a great all weather gun, and I'm sure it's durable...but for my money I'd never buy another over an 870.

I have an 870 supermag. It will hold 3 1/2 inch shells for that occasional goose or turkey hunt. It's a great gun and I've never had any problems with it. That being said, I also have a Stoeger 2000 and love having a semi auto for duck hunting. I'll use my 2000 over my 870 (for duck hunting) every time.

Originally posted by camo3235:

Ok im lookin for a shotgun and ive come down to either a benelli nova or remington 870 Super Mag. They are about the same size and weight so im lookin for the best one. post your opinion.

870 all the way I have a 870 supermag and my

brother has a nova. the nova seems bulky in the

front and the cycling the action takes some time

befor it feals comfortable

870 Supermag - YES

I've shot my friends Nova.

My first shotgun was a Remington 870 .20 gauge, then a Remington 870 .12 gauge.

I shoot a Benelli SBE II, but I'd choose a Remington 870 over any other pump gun. The Remington 870 is the BEST pump gun ever made. If you don't own an 870, you don't own a shotgun some say.

Tell us what you buy and what you think about it after you shoot it.

I am discusted by this thread, I will take my Nova's followed by my BPS over an 870 anyday, heck I would rather have a Mossberg than an 870. One thing to consider, most the guys posting up about the 870 are talking about older 870's when Remington gave two cents about quality. When it comes to shotguns their is no need to leave the 3 B's. Benelli, Browning, Beretta.

Tucker, you should be ashamed redface.gif redface.gif :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

[ 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Max4Gooser ]

I may have to reconsider and go with Max4Gooser on this. I don't know anything about the "NEW" Remington 870's. But you could easily buy a "USED" one and be perfectly fine.

Had a friend have problems with BOTH of his "MOSSBERG'S". They both had metal break on them in the action. So that's not good. I would NEVER buy a Mossberg after seeing TWO guns have the same problem.

I've owned both and sold many of both over the counter too. I sold my 870 express after using it a few times. I thought it was cheaply made. I needed at the time, a "boat paddle" shotgun for nasty, muddy salt water waterfowling. I then bought a NOVA and never looked back. I think the Wingmaster is an excellent shotgun, but today's 870 express is made for the Walmart price competition crowd and is an inferior shotgun in my opinion. Here's the differences between the 870 super mag and the NOVA.

NOVA chrome lined barrell, 870 NOT

NOVA has a last round cut off that lets you eject the chambered round without allowing the next round up. 870 NOT

NOVA has a simple two pin trigger mechinism removal arrangement for easy cleaning, 870 is a lot more complicated

NOVA's barrel end cap doubles as a tool to knock out trigger assembly pins,870 needs more tools

NOVA has built into the stock, the ability to add a mercury filled recoil reducer cylinder. Easy install, $45. 870 NOT

NOVA's stock is moulded into the receiver for extra strength,870 is screwed on like guns since the 1400's.

NOVA has built in sling attachment points, I'm not sure about the 870 super mag.

NOVA was designed from the ground up to equip the European Police in the 21st century. The 870 was designed when your Grandfather had pimples and had ideas for your Grandmother.

Both gun's barrels (black models) rust easy within 100 miles of salt water. Good rust preventative oil or 2 coats automotive primer paint and 2 coats black BBQ paint fixed that on the NOVA for me.

What can I say, I have no stock in Benelli other than I have a NOVA that looks like ****, gets "cleaned" in the shower after a day on the boat, turned upside in a pail to drain as I sleep,dreaming of ducks and women, and gets a spray of oil sometime the next day, if I remember and if can find the spray can. It has never failed me and even ejected some rusty shells when I had to bang the stock down on the boat's seat while gripping the forearm. Those ejectors are like bull dog jaws. Not many guns would eject shells in that lousy condition. I shoot 3 inch and 3.5 inch shells and with the recoil reducer, she's sweet. I also have a Browning BPS thats a great shotgun too. That would be my second choice under the NOVA. One downside, the NOVA has a modern, futuristic look that some guys won't be seen with, like its a bad fashion statement or something. The deep grooves in the forearm and stock really add to a good grip. I once saw one painted white for Snowgoose shooting. Looked like a Star Wars weapon! Cool!

Well, I calls it as I sees it.

TF

I chose the 870 Marine Magnum ... was going to get an H20 til I found out about the Mag Extension problem.

The 870 MM is all nickel plated 6+1 shots , pumps like a dream and I have the ability to make it like no other with the gazillion parts out there for it to make it completely unique.

I like the H20 and may get one too ... but the Mossberg is looking pretty tempting as well with a company out there that makes 10 round mags for em.

Shot a nova for several years no problems. After the hunt it just falls apart for drying/cleaning. Try that with an 870. My 12 year old has an 870 and almost took it out today, raining, no chance!. Nova comes apart in seconds with no tools. Great gun. Points,shoots,cycles every time. A lifetime Browning fan. No more love the Benelli!

my dad won an 870 super mag in a raffle. he tried using 3 1/2" loads and it would not feed the shells. the action took a huge gouge of plastic out of every shell. i've never had any problem running 3 1/2" through my nova. i own 2 870's and love them and my nova. however, remington had to replace one of my barrels when it mysteriously started to develop bubbles in 2 spots. makes me wonder. advantage: nova......otherwise there is a big difference in how each gun feels (grip, sight line, etc)

I just read this thread from top to bottom. I own way to many shotguns and one happens to be a nova (h20) and I've got a couple 870's. One of the 870's is a Wilson scattergun and I would not hesitate to take it into battle. The other 870 I have is an old cops bare bones 870 that looks like it was used as a hammer. (maybe it was??) Anyway 870-'s were desinged apr. 5 decades ago. To me thats a good thing not a bad thing. Its a good platform so why change it? Kind of like a 1911. (little mods here and there but basically the Great John Brownings gun he put out in 1911 is still what u get today.) Just cuz a guns design is old doesn't make it no good. The nova I've had for under a year but I've worked it out pretty good. It took me a short amount of time to get comfortable with it. Its a good gun but its not one of my personal favorites. Just my preference. One of the most important things is how does it feel when you shoulder either of the guns? Whichever feels better, more natural, then thats the one I'd purchase. The 870 will last forever (the proof is in the pudding) and even though the nova is an infant in comparison to how long its been around it will probably last a long time. Only time will tell. I read a couple posts about some Mossbergs so I'll throw my hat into the ring. I have a Moss. M590A1 and its super sturdy. I've had it for years and even neglected it and it still is a great shooter. Its actually a super reliable shotgun. The 500's are a little less sturdy (maybe even a-lot less) IMO the 500 turned people off from Moss. The 500 and 590 are in different leagues IMO.

You didn't say what the intended usage of the shotgun would be...

I just got my Nova Tactical a few weeks ago and I LOVE IT!!!

Granted it is NOT nearly as smooth as an 870, the features are great and I've found it to be extremely accurate with 00 buck and rifled slugs.

In my opinion the Nova was the best $280 that I've spent in some time.

Good luck!

I have had both the 870 and NOVA. Sold the nova kept the 870. Mainly for reasons mentioned above. My advice to you is to find the two guns handle them work the action. YOU will know which one feels the best for YOU. Forget what these guys say about which one is best. The one that feels right for YOU is the best!!