Stiff safety issue and form letter

Drundel

Ok after seeing MANY people post up that they have this problem, lets start a form letter so each person can send it in to let Benelli know there is a problem and to create a record of the problem.

I'm not the best writer, but I'll start and if you think it needs to be changed, post up the suggestions and I'll change it.

-------------

Dear Benelli,

I purchased a ____ from ____ on _____ and upon inspection the safety is very stiff and requires much more pressure to turn it off and on than normal. I have compared it to my (insert guns) SBE, Nova, 391, and several 1100 and it is by far the stiffest. Could you please advise me on a solution once you have one for this problem?

Sincerely,

---------------

Like i said, it ain't the best but its decent. Ok, now we need an e-mail address to send it to.

Anyone?

*****STATUS UPDATE*****

In order to ensure I was looking at the same thing as everyone else, I asked a customer to ship his SBE II (with stiff safety) to our corporate office. Once I had the gun in my hands, I clicked the safety on and off a few times....it's a little stiff. I don't want to sound sexist, but I took the gun to several "smaller" people in the office. Each of them were able to function the safety without any great difficulty. Nonetheless.....the safety is definitely more stiff than the M1, SBE.

I have spoken with the chief engineer at the factory in Italy and he advised us the safety functions as designed. The safety in our SBE II and M2 is the same system used in the Joint Services Combat Shotgun, M-1014. (milspec)

I agree in principal with all who have posted here with regard to the level of difficulty in operating the safety. Subsequently, I have asked our engineers to look at what might be done to resolve the issue without compromising safety.

Our engineers will not authorize any changes or modifications without the requisite research and testing. They are doing this.....but it takes time. If there is a way to make the button operate more comfortably without compromise, then I am confident they will do so.

If anyone would like to comment or send form letters, you are most certainly welcome to do so at:

[email protected]

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Just to be clear, the safety on my new SBE II is unacceptable. I cannot, after shouldering the gun, de-activate the safety using only my index finger. That means I will have to de-activate the safety prior to shouldering the gun. Benelli has already recieved reports from users that are not using the safety properly because of this fault. Anyone can see that this is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately before someone gets hurt.

This safety on my new SBE II is *much*, *much* tighter than any gun I have ever handled. Not just slightly tighter than other guns, rather it cannot be used for its intended purpose.

I have been quietly watching/waiting for the response from the factory and was hoping that this product safety issue would be recognized and addressed swiftly.

Please move quickly.

[ 07-08-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: drycreekvalley ]

I too. feel the saftey is way to hard to be safe..I have two SBE-2 and both are very hard, both on and off..Also very noisey.......I also know of three SBE-2 guns that the owners cut the springs because they were so bad.... I do NOT want to do this ...I would hope a shorter spring would solve the issue....Remember , we are getting close to seasons ....Aug. 1- squirel , Sept. 1-goose...Thanks for listening and please come up with a solution , DUCK

I do not disagree with those that state the safety is unacceptable to them. People are entitled to their own personal standards.

But, if the device is within the manufacturer's safety specifications and these personal standards are in conflict with the manufacturer's specifications, the manufacturer's standard must be controlling.

The above is a international standard that is universally accepted.

Having tested 17 SBE II/M2's, I found the safeties to be tight, but not unusable. But for the comments here, I would have thought nothing of it.

It sounds like a quick fix is available for those who wish to modify the manufacturer's factory setting.

Most of my firearms have aftermarket accessories that I like better than the OEM parts. It is my choice to make these changes, but it does not reflect in any way on the functionality of the OEM equipment.

This matter is clearly resolved by Benelli USA by Montefeltro's reply.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by Montefeltro:

*****STATUS UPDATE*****

In order to ensure I was looking at the same thing as everyone else, I asked a customer to ship his SBE II (with stiff safety) to our corporate office. Once I had the gun in my hands, I clicked the safety on and off a few times....it's a little stiff. I don't want to sound sexist, but I took the gun to several "smaller" people in the office. Each of them were able to function the safety without any great difficulty. Nonetheless.....the safety is definitely more stiff than the M1, SBE.

I have spoken with the chief engineer at the factory in Italy and he advised us the safety functions as designed. The safety in our SBE II and M2 is the same system used in the Joint Services Combat Shotgun, M-1014. (milspec)

I agree in principal with all who have posted here with regard to the level of difficulty in operating the safety. Subsequently, I have asked our engineers to look at what might be done to resolve the issue without compromising safety.

Our engineers will not authorize any changes or modifications without the requisite research and testing. They are doing this.....but it takes time. If there is a way to make the button operate more comfortably without compromise, then I am confident they will do so.

If anyone would like to comment or send form letters, you are most certainly welcome to do so at:

[email protected]

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Is this a joke?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Montefeltro:

*****STATUS UPDATE*****

[email protected]

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a joke?

Don't look like no joke to me.....

mudhen - CA

I don’t want to sound sexist….
I hardly think the people that have been posting on this forum about their safeties being to stiff are the type that cry anytime they chip/scratch their nails loading a shot shell into the magazine.

BTW, did these “smaller” people bird hunt? Did they understand the meaning of being able to get the safety quickly disengaged as they are shouldering the gun at the same time swinging the gun onto the moving bird while trying to keep a steady aim?

Sorry forum members, I had to get that off my chest.

Montefeltro,

I do not work for Benelli and I have no idea what is Benelli's typical length of time for performing research and testing for a problem of this nature.

Can you provide this forum with a timeframe for the research and testing at Benelli for the stiff safety?

[ 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

I have a M2, I have ran about 1000 rounds thru it so far. The saftey may be a little stiff on mine, but there is no problem on getting the saftey off when shooting. It is a little harder to move than any other gun I have used before. Over all if they get a fix great but with mine I could live with it like it is.

[email protected]

Mentefeltro,

What is the purpose of the [email protected] AOL account at Benelli USA?

I would have thought that Benelli USA would have an e-mail addresses like the examples listed below for customers to send an e-mail:

Yeah like us turkey and deer hunters somethimes even rabbit hunters we can't have the loud click of a saftey or us trying to turn it off when we are getting ready to shoot at turkey,deer,and rabbit because they will hear and see the movement of us trying to turn the saftey off and they will hear it when it "clicks" heres my thoughts i hope benneli fixes that saftey or else i will just get a Benelli Nova Pump which i am starting to think is a good idea from what i have heard the novas are reliable and they are good shotguns for everything u want to hunt but so are all the rest of the Benellis...heres my thoughts and opinions..

Just a thought, but could part of the problem be with our lawsuit "trigger happy" culture (no pun intended)? If the safety were too easy to disengage they could have a major lawsuit on their hands. I know that this is at least part of the reason why trigger pulls have gotten into the 4 pound range. I have a SBE2 and would like the safety to be lighter, but since I only use it for turkey and use a blind also, I can live with it. If anything I am glad it is overly stiff than too easy to release.

What is the purpose of the [email protected] AOL account at Benelli USA?

Dear Threeshot,

The [email protected] account is over 6 years old and pre-dates our website. If you you click on our "contact us" tab, you will see a map of the US. As you move the cursor around, you will see what is happening on the bottom of your screen. Depending on which state you select, the email address will be customer1,2,3,4,5,6,7, or 8 @ benelliusa.com. I chose to use the aol account for this endeavor because it will put them all in one place. This is more efficient than asking 8 customer service reps to forward them.....and it cuts down the liklihood of something getting lost.

Today I received some good news from the engineers and will be posting a new topic on the board as soon as the details are worked out.

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

• 16 years later...

I just received my 828U back from Benelli.  They fixed the stiff safety very quickly and returned the gun within 10 days of me shipping it to them (at their expense).  They also told me how to change the auto-safety feature to a manual safety.  Very good communication with them and very quick, efficient, effective service. 

• 2 years later...

my post from 2021

Posted October 28, 2021

back in late spring/early summer i had  a safety failure in my 11707 purchased in 2007.  i called, sent the trigger group in for repair.  They emailed me with their findings stating that it was a 'very rare failure' and they were sending me a whole new trigger group.

I requested that my aluminum TG be replaced with an aluminum vs plastic and they agreed.  about a week later i received my new parts with a detailed explanation in writing and everything is right in the universe again.

• Upvote 1