Hevi Shot and a Benelli: Bad Combo?

cdogg44

No, I mean Hevi Shot. Thanks though.

I think it was more of a barrel damage type of thing, kinda like using steel in older guns.

So am I cool to shoot Hevi Shot through a two month old SBEII with a Hevi Shot/Steel Shot approved choke?

Another question. Anyone have any experience with a Terror choke? Worth $80 over the factory crio chokes?

The thing is, some of the birds come in and land over the decoys, while the next group might just pass by overhead. I've been shooting the factory Modified choke, but am just curious as to how much better and aftermarket one might be.

Thanks

Don't know what Benelli's official stance is, but I used Hevi Shot in my Monte duck hunting Tuesday, and I will never use anything else again. The stuff is wonderful. Keep in mind it shoots even tighter than steel, so skeet and improved cylinder chokes are best. The chokes need to be OK for steel shot (I used an extended IC choke and took a big mallard from 50 yards with number 6 shot (three pellets in the breast) in a 3 inch shell). Remington, for one, uses extra thick shot cups to protect the barrel, but I would still stick with the "no choke tighter than modified" advice. Use 4 or 6 shot for ducks. The smaller shot and extended choke also make damage less likely.

Originally posted by doublebarrel:

Don't know what Benelli's official stance is, but I used Hevi Shot in my Monte duck hunting Tuesday, and I will never use anything else again. The stuff is wonderful. Keep in mind it shoots even tighter than steel, so skeet and improved cylinder chokes are best. The chokes need to be OK for steel shot (I used an extended IC choke and took a big mallard from 50 yards with number 6 shot (three pellets in the breast) in a 3 inch shell). Remington, for one, uses extra thick shot cups to protect the barrel, but I would still stick with the "no choke tighter than modified" advice. Use 4 or 6 shot for ducks. The smaller shot and extended choke also make damage less likely.

I'd really love to be able to use the stuff, it's just so expensive. I went hunting last month and a friend of mine was using #6 HS in a 3.5". Anyway, a group of teal flew by really fast, and he ended up taking two birds out with only one shot. We were impressed, but I do think a little luck was still involved.

When hunting yesterday, I did notice that many of the birds I shot were still hitting the water alive (but in pretty rough shape). They weren't all that far away, and would start falling as soon as they were hit, not extra flying away or anything. Is this the fault of steel shot? Strong birds? Bad shots? Or just part of it?

Well, sometimes it is a bad shot or an extra tough bird, but even a well placed shot can fail to hit enough vital areas to give an immediate kill. I am convinced that steel makes it more likely. You have to use larger pellets which usually means fewer on target (not as many total pellets and a more open pattern). The pellets are larger, but don't penetrate as well, especially at distance. I went hunting a little over a week ago and used 3 inch #6 Hevi and some steel that I needed to use up. I got four birds, all on Hevi shot. No birds with steel. How much more expensive Hevi is depends on how many more shots you have to make with steel to get a bird. Now don’t get me wrong. Better shots than I can do fine with steel, but I still think they will bring down fewer.

I am not the world's best shot, but I shot at a pair with one shell during that hunt and both folded their wings and hit the water. One dead and one not. Chances are the dead one was the one I aimed at and the other was just too close.

Hevi is expensive, but after using it all season I found myself taking less shots that I would have with cheap steel....you know that 3rd shot at 60 yards when they are flying away....a hope shot pretty much. I was probably 90% on geese this year on my first shot and also had a couple 70 yard stone cold shots too.....it is ruthless.....you also don't need to use 3.5" while using it.

Just returned from a goose hunt shooting my first box of Hevi B's. We were pass shooting geese on the bluffs of the Missouri River and I am completely sold. My first round was a B Hevi Shot followed by 2 Nitro Mag BBB's. I shot 5 rounds (missed on a flock). Picked the lead goose on 3 flocks and stoned them between 60 - 70 yards. I was shooting a 3/12 SBE w/ Paterrn Master choke. I'm so impressed I'm trying to figure out how to reload them to cut the cost down a bit, even though that's the cheapest component of a hunting trip. Any reloading experts out there? Also, if anyone is interested in decoy hunting geese next year in SD email me.

I SHOOT A PURE GOLD .670 TUBE IN MY SUPER BLACK EAGLE WITH REMINGTON'S HEVI SHOT 3 1/2" 1 7/8 OZ. # 5'S FOR TURKEYS AND IT THROWS ONE AWESOME PATTERN OUT PAST 50 YARDS!!! I KILLED 7 GOBBLERS LAST YEAR WITH THIS COMBO, THE FARTHEREST BEING OVER 55 STEPS. ALL WERE GRAVEYARD DEAD!