Choke Tubes for Super Black Eagle

Al Case

I'm looking at Wad Wizard and Patternmaster choke tubes. I hunt pheasants, geese and ducks....mostly pass shooting for geese. I know very little about chokes.

Also, I bought a 26 inch barrel, because the Gander Mtn. gun manager told me that there was no difference between it and the 28 inch barrel. Is that correct? If not, does an extended choke make up the difference?

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Thanks!

Al

Well technically it doesn't make adifference as far as patterens it's a different story for accuracy. It is easier to aim a 28 in barrel because of the longer distance between the two points thus aiming error is easier to notice.

It would have been wiser to get the 28 in barrel as you may see that some of the members of the board will throw rocks at you for making the mistake.

I wouldn't recomend going off-brand with chokes I would go with the brand you have. You would have to ask someone else about the extended chokes becasue I just don't care about things like that becasue I only use them for the field. they are supposed to be better than the mobile chokes or something.

And for geese I would use a IM** choke and for ducks I would use a M*** you can go fore the factory full choke but It doesn't work out to well for me or any of my family.

also I would use either #2 or #5 shot for the type of hunting you are doing.

Al,

The 26" should be fine for your needs.

Both the wad wizard and PatternMaster are fine choices.

Before investing in any aftermarket chokes, you should shoot the factory tubes and see how you like them. You don't HAVE to have an aftermarket tube to be able to take game.

The extended tubes don't fully make up for the missing lenght, because the front bead isn't extended at all.

The gun guy is saying to use the factory chokes IM and full for steel? My SBEII with those chokes say No STEEL is that just a precation the factory takes. I would love to shoot a tighter choke than M. at ducks. I have thought about trading in my SBEII because I cant find tight chokes for steel. I shoot a factory full in my 870 and have fantastic results. It says lead or steel on it.

Originally posted by LOGGER79:

The gun guy is saying to use the factory chokes IM and full for steel? My SBEII with those chokes say No STEEL is that just a precation the factory takes. I would love to shoot a tighter choke than M. at ducks. I have thought about trading in my SBEII because I cant find tight chokes for steel. I shoot a factory full in my 870 and have fantastic results. It says lead or steel on it.

I did?, are you talking about another post because I did say that other people have said that it is ok to use steel in IM, but that was another post

[ 05-13-2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: The_Gun_Guy ]

quote by the gun guy:

And for geese I would use a IM** choke and for ducks I would use a M*** you can go fore the factory full choke but It doesn't work out to well for me or any of my family.

This dosen't look like other people made this statement gun guy. It is in your above post. A reply to al case. You should add another "G" to your handle, may I suggest "GARBAGE". It seems that you put out a lot of it!!!!

Did I mention anything about steel in that post?

Originally stated by Jesus Christ:

Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? Romans 2:21

If you think real hard you may be able to understand it.

Quote from Al Case

I hunt pheasants, geese and ducks....mostly pass shooting for geese.

2004-2005 Hunting and Fishing Digest

Official Laws and Regulations

Legal Arms and Ammunition For Hunting.

Migratory Birds....Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, plugged or otherwise incapable of holding more than 3 shells using standard No2 shot or smaller, "EXCEPT WATERFOWL" "MUST" be hunted with steel shot only, T-size or smaller and waterfowl hunters shall not possess any other size steel shot or any size lead shot.

I have been informed by the Law Enforcement Division of this states Game and Fisheries Division, that the use of steel shot is a Federaly Mandated requirement.

Now Al Case is shooting a beretta and he is hunting mostly waterfowl, which by law requires steel shot, and you Gun Guy are telling him to use Full, Imp Mod, and Mod chokes, which could damage his beretta.

More Garbage and bad information from the gun guy, and oh yes, now he is a man of the cloth.

Tell me Gun Guy What does the good book say about bearing False Witness and telling the truth?

You can never redeem your credibility!

[ 05-13-2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: cherok9878 ]

actually I believe you can, and I never lied, I said that I didn't mention steel and i didn't. Also you sir need to calm down. everything that I have said on the forum may have not been completely accurate but I never lied because to my knowlege that is what I believed at the time of every post. and you can spend a lot of useless time looking for holes in speech and I know from experience that they will be in every post from everyone some more than others. or you can just let it go. it is your choice, you can either keep persuing me with extreme prejiduce wasting hours of what could be productive time, or just stop.

Let's review this whole mess and try to put a cap on it.

FACTS:

1. The OP, Al Case is from Minnesota, and was asking about chokes for upland game and waterfowl.

2. Minnesota requires than non-lead shot be used for waterfowl, but they do allow for the use of steel and alternatives. All shot requirements are listed here:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/waterfowl.pdf

3. Benelli recommends not using IM and F chokes with steel shot, but it is generall accepted that these chokes can be used with legal alternatives such as bismuth, tungsten, tungsten-iron.

Gun_guy,

It would have been more responsible of you to qualify your recommendation for IM choke on geese by saying that it should be used with non-steel shot only.

Al Case,

I hope these few facts clear up any doubts or misconceptions regarding the use of factory chokes in Minnesota.

A modified choke with steel shot will pattern the same as an IM with lead. Steel will "pattern-up" one choke size. The reason that an IM or F choke isn't recommended for steel shot is that when the shot is over-constricted, you can deform the shot and get a blown pattern. You don't really gain anything by shooting steel from anything tighter than modified. You'll probably be fine when shooting 2 or 3 shot (or smaller) but you can mess up a barrel/choke shooting BB, BBB, or T from a tightly constricted choke unless you purchase an after-market choke specifically designed for larger shot.