Ok to drill & tap M1 S90???

Rbenn

All I want is a shotgun for deer and turkey, and I want to mount a holosight, and the M90 is not helping me!!

I bought the slug barrell, and it doesn't fit at this point. I've read that you need an optional foregrip, but don't see it specifically listed as a Benelli accessory, so need help there too.

Main question though... is the receiver ANY different on the factory deer gun as opposed to the M1?? I took it to a gunsmith to drill and tap and he said he couldn't because the top of the receiver is too thin on the top. I don't understand why it's too thin, because Benelli makes the same receiver/ barrell system thats drilled and tapped. Either the deer model has a thicker receiver on top, my gunsmith is blowing smoke, or it CAN be done, but look out for future problems...which is it??

hey man,it sounds like I would change gun smiths immediatley;he is BSing you,I think all Benelli recievers are of the same thickness,I say this with complete confidence,based on my research and development work on the brand,where did you read about needin an differnt foregrip for your fire arm?they look the same in the cat.some people are shy;I'M always willing to help a Benelli Brother or sister when I can,hope this helps m1014 smile.gif

Thanks for the input. I really hope I can mold this gun into what I want it for. As for the optional foregrip, it's linked to this very sight. Go to the Benelli icon above, then parts, and it's on the barrels page. But... I'll just post it.

"Add versatility to your Benelli shotgun with an extra barrel. Complement your smooth-bore gun with an extra slug barrel or have the opportunity to switch barrel lengths from 24” to 26” to 28”, whichever fits your particular hunting needs. Extra barrels are available for all models. Rifled slug barrels are available for Super Black Eagle, M1 and Nova models only. (SBE and M1 models require an optional modified forend)"

The barrel/ foregrip that came standard on my gun fits perfectly. However, the combo with my slug barrel doesn't at all. I can take just the slug barrel, and it will seat properly, but when you attach the foregrip, and then try to reseat it, I will have to really force it, to get it over the magazine tube, and I don't think it should be that way. The quote from Benelli would tend to confirm this, but when you look under factory accessories, I don't see this "optional modified foregrip."

As a side question, has anyone used a holosight/ Benelli combo for wingshooting and or skeet/ trap?? I mainly want this gun for turkey and deer, so in my mind, I'm thinking a holosight should work well, but am wondering if I can leave it on for quicker shooting. Thanks.

heyman,I draw the line at the optics,maybe in the new year,$$ you know.Now about your forend,I'am not opposed to forend Modifications,just go to my M1 super 90 tactical pics, doesn't hurt a thing when care is taken..Sounds like your forend and barrel are not matting or seating or aligning proprerly together.I would rehearse the excersise that you mentioned very slowly and carefully with good light,you'll find your answer. let us know your results on everything,M1014 ;) smile.gif

I've had the same problem with my SBE slug barrel. When I ordered it last February, I also ordered the foregrip. I believe we found the part number out of the Benelli catalogue at the gun shopand called to confirm the difference. As I mentioned this was last February.

The barrel never came in but the foregrip finally showed. I got sick of excuses after eight months and was lucky enough to find a barrel in a different store. It turns out the foregrip they had sent me was the standard size. My gunsmith was able to reshape it to fit perfectly.

From what I understand, this example of pathetic customer service is pretty much the norm with Benelli. Your gun shop should have a catalogue with the part numbers, and if the wrong one shows up they should be able to fix it.

I'm starting to understand the Benelli philosophy.... If you want to do something with your already expensive gun...it won't work....until you spend more money.

What can I say...I'm a sucker. 350 for a slug barrel, and 125 for a "modified foregrip" so the barrel will seat, and 40 for a B-square wrap around mount because no one can tell me if it's ok to drill and tap this gun. I looked at the rec. of a SBE deer gun, and that design is different and the top looks thicker.

So basically for the cost of a whole other gun.... I've got a deer setup for my Benelli.

If anyone has some experience with these wrap around mounts, I'm experiencing a little play, up and down. If I torque the screw down, it will fix it, but then it's clamping too hard on the receiver and it doesn't cycle the bolt easily enough.

There is a hole on top of the mount, which looks like it's for a set screw, but the hole isn't tapped, and I don't know that I'd want to scarr up the top of my receiver by doing that anyway. I was thinking about putting some mole skin or something towards the front under the mount to shim it a little. Any thoughts??? Thanks.