M2, slow action in cold weather?

Wirenut

Fellas: In southern Mn. it's getting mighty cold now. Out pheasant hunting I notice my action to be extremely slow or maybe sticky? The gun works, but loading and unloading seems waaaay to slow. I used to run the gun almost dry on oil, and had this problem. So then I used very little "Rem-Oil" with still the same results. So is it a quantity of oil used or a quaility of oil used? Thanks...... ;)

Lose the Rem-Oil and use BreakFree CLP or Hoppes Elite.

Use just enough to coat the parts with a thin film and then wipe them down.

Leave nothing dripping.

Be sure to clean the recoil assembly and the disassembled bolt group thoroughly.

Do not case a cold gun and then bring it and leave it cased, as this will lead to condesation.

Instead, uncase the gun when back indoors and allow it to reach room temperature.

If possible, do not store the cun in a zippered case.

I agree with Tucker, loose the Rem-Oil because it gets gummy in the cold. I use the Benelli oil for the inside of the gun and use Breakfree or Rem-Oil on the outside. I haven't used any Breakfree on the inside of the Benelli yet because I have 4 bottles of Benelli oil to use up, but I use only Breakfree CLP on my AR-15 and have never had the action get slow even when out in below zero weather.

• 3 years later...

I've been experiencing the same issue. Pulling back the bolt is harder and also when closing the bolt (whether by pushing on the bolt handle or by pushing the carrier button). Cycles ok, but I wonder if the tolerances are too tight and don't take into account metal expansion in cold temps. ??

I've been experiencing the same issue. Pulling back the bolt is harder and also when closing the bolt (whether by pushing on the bolt handle or by pushing the carrier button). Cycles ok, but I wonder if the tolerances are too tight and don't take into account metal expansion in cold temps. ??

There could be an excess amount of oil in the recoil spring tube, which would cause much more of an issue than oil on the bolt. Even when warm to much oil in the recoil spring tube will make it more of a oil filled shock absorber than spring.

I agree with Tucker, loose the Rem-Oil because it gets gummy in the cold. I use the Benelli oil for the inside of the gun and use Breakfree or Rem-Oil on the outside. I haven't used any Breakfree on the inside of the Benelli yet because I have 4 bottles of Benelli oil to use up, but I use only Breakfree CLP on my AR-15 and have never had the action get slow even when out in below zero weather.

Gunner, where do you get the Benelli oil? I have a little left in the bottle that came with my M1, but have not seen it any where else.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL I agree Truckcop

When it comes to oiling (lightly) and it sticking in cold temps versus not oiling and it not sticking in cold temps, I have a tendency to use the gun w/o oiling. ;-)

You point is well taken....

I need to be more selective in where, how much, and what type the oil I use.