R1 with Muzzle Brake?

WhiteElk

I am shopping for a 300 win mag with reduced recoil and detachable box magazine for big game hunting. Benelli's R1 with the ARGO system seems to fit the bill. However, I'ld like to know if a muzzle brake might be installed to reduce recoil and "flip". The R1's barrel is free-floating, so I'm thinking that a muzzle brake can be installed and will reduce the recoil and "flip" further without reducing the bullet energy or accuracy.

Has anyone installed a muzzle brake onto an R1 Model? If so, is it effective? Any concerns or negative impacts?

Thanks.

I personally do not think it is necessary to install a muzzle brake on an R1. I have a 30-06 version and the recoil is so little it is a joy to shoot. If I were you I would try the gun without a muzzle brake first. I noticed that shooting mine that the recoil was very, very small and by puting a muzzle brake on it all you are doing is making it noisier to shoot.

Wow, maybe someone has finally figured out how to tame the .300WinMag *may preferred round of all rilfes save the .50BMG*

Jim i'll try to get my hands on one of the .300's from the local shop and put a round or two into it

On to your question Elk, My father has been an abid .300 shooter ever since i've been alive, which is a big reason why i'm such a fan of it, we have built custom weapon systems and loaded custom loads for duty specific usage ..if your just looking for information on a muzzel break to tame the .300 i would offer this 1 piece of information, there is a company out of Michigan called Answer Quiet Muzzel Breaks. basically you send them your weapon and they do as much as possible to the weapon to reduce the recoil, the first step is they counterthread about 1/5" of the weapons real barrel and custom fit on a 3" muzzel break thats custom machined for that specific weapon, to date i think they offer about 4 different types we *being my father and I* have always kept with the 360degree break, its ported the full 360 and fit specially to the weapon, which litterally take up to about 40% of the jolt out of the gun. They also have other componets to offer while they have your gun to reduce recoil even more such as there pattened break pad that is like a suped up Decellerator pad. and honestly workes wonders.

as it is I was able to kill my first deer with my father's .300 that had just came back from the Answer company which doesn't seem like much, BUT i had just had a spinal fusion surgery only 3 days latter and i honestly didn't feel any pain or regret for that matter in shooting the rifle, i could feel it push up against my shoulder and thats it

Sorry to babble so long and thank you for your time

Wulf

Lupinus Nobilitas

[ 02-09-2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Wulf ]

________

hemp marijuana

Edited by Wulf

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by WhiteElk:

I am shopping for a 300 win mag with reduced recoil and detachable box magazine for big game hunting. Benelli's R1 with the ARGO system seems to fit the bill. However, I'ld like to know if a muzzle brake might be installed to reduce recoil and "flip". The R1's barrel is free-floating, so I'm thinking that a muzzle brake can be installed and will reduce the recoil and "flip" further without reducing the bullet energy or accuracy.

Has anyone installed a muzzle brake onto an R1 Model? If so, is it effective? Any concerns or negative impacts?

Thanks.

So as to not cross-post, you can read my range experience in another forum here. My take is that you will definately feel the kick from the .300 Win Mag. I'm currently seeking ways to reduce this before hunting season gets here.