Benelli M2 Breech Bolt Problem

gaducks

I have a new Benelli M2 12GA RH. I have had the gun for about 3 weeks. I have fired about 2+ boxes of shells, one 3" Steel Hi Velocity and the other lead field loads. Until yesterday, no problems. Yesterday I fired about a box of lead field loads without incident. After finishing, I unloaded the gun, chambered a Snap Cap, released the firing pin, and put the gun in a case. This morning I was preparing to clean the gun but was unable to open the breech bolt. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to open, including going throught the manual procedures to the T. No luck.

I have used the Snap Cap on several occasions with no difficulties so I can't imagine it has anything to do with the problem. Any suggestions?

I would just disassemble the gun - remove the magazine cap so you can remove the barrel, then see what the problem is. Maybe the catch on the bolt head got stuck on the Snap Cap - I would think removing the barrel would do less harm than trying to jam open the bolt.

[ 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: garrett ]

Thanks for the reply. I thought about removing the barrel but I am a little concerned about doing that without the breech bolt open. All of the Benelli manual dissassembly instructions say open the breech bolt first before removing the barrel but without explaining the reasoning. I am concerned that the front end of the breech bolt may be in some way engaged with the rear end of the barrel and that removing the barrel might damage the extractors or some other part of the breech bolt. Have you ever removed the barrel of an m2/m1/SBE with the breech bolt in the closed position?

yes - the barrel can be removed either way; I am not sure what problem there would be with it closed, since it comes off the same - pulls straight out with no problem. I have an M2 tactical and remove the barrel all the time (couple times a week) with the bolt closed, or open - no problems!

Okay. I tried to remove the barrel but it would only come out to the point where the breech bolt handle hit the front edge of the chamber opening. I tried to remove the bolt handle per the owners manual but it would not budge. The gun came fully assembled so I have never inserted or removed the bolt handle myself. The manual states "Pull the bolt handle off with a firm tug". It will definitely take more than that. Am I missing something here in the disassembly process or am I just a wimp?

Hi - when my gun was new, it was very tough to get that off - I had to use a screwdriver with a cloth so it didn't mark the finish, to pop it off. If you find that the bolt is stuck to the barrel, and you can't withdraw the bolt, take out the trigger assembly so you can slide it all out together to see what's wrong.

Another follow up. SUCCESS. Another source suggested using a ram rod through the barrel to give extra force against the bolt to get it open. I really was a little reluctant to try this so I tried one more time to open the bolt with MAXIMUM force I could apply by hand to the bolt handle. It slipped a little and then came open. There was no visible damage to the bolt face or the Snap Cap. I think the mistake I made in the beginning was to allow the breech bolt to SLAM shut on the Snap Cap. The Snap Cap is all plastic body and the force of the closing bolt just may of jammed it in extra tight. In future I will close the bolt on Snap Caps very gently!! Thanks much for your responses.

Originally posted by Hoser:

Ditch the snap caps. Dry firing wont hurt anything. Dry firing old rimfies, bad. Modern firearms, no problem.

I also thought this was a no no, but I am new to the firearm world. Can someone wiegh in on this statement.

I have a M2, what would be the best way to store?