NOVAS???

deerdropper13

I have a couple of friends who use them for hunting pheasant, duck, and goose and love them.

I saw that you said your 870 rusts on you ( and that you are from California ) but you didn't say where it was rusting up ( outside or action ).

Since the Nova encases the reciever in a one peice polymer design this will prevent any external rusting of the receiver or water seeping in between the stock and action.

To be honest I don't know if the barrel of the Nova ( on the Black Model ) is a matte blued finish, or if it is a spray and bake like KGI Gunkote or something similar. ( all my friends have the camo versions) Some of the other members like tucker or Benelli Girl would more than likely know.

The camo finishes provide a waterproof finish to the barrel due to the coating they get before they do the film dip trasfer process of the camo pattern.

Since you are in California, you are probably going to have to take a little better care of any gun that you buy since you may be exposed to higher salt content and humidity levels.

You may find that when your shotgun is not going to be used for a while you need to clean it very well ( including the trigger assebly), and keep the action pieces and inside of the barrel well oiled. (remove the excess oil before you go shoot it, by running a couple dry patches through the barrel, and blowing out the action peices with an aircompressor and wiping them off afterwords ).

Hope that helps some....

The balck finish on the nova is the same as the SBE's, etc. It's not as durable as gunkote, but it appears to be more closely akin to it than parkerizing.

Unless it's pitted and crusty, you may want consider using gunkote on the 870 before you toss it out.

http://207.44.229.182/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=gk

http://www.mrarms.com/

My advice is not infallable and I always welcome others to correct me or add to what I have contributed.

I would also appreciate not being singled out as an expert in any way. Fact is, I simply have more global access to the net than do some of the others who frequent these boards.

It's always better to have the thoughts and opinions of the many (excluding The_Gun_Guy of course :D ) than it is to have one individual's input.

[ 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Deerdropper, I own both the REM. 870 and the NOVA. You may want to shoot a couple of boxes through a nova before you purshase one. I find the nova's to be a bit more bulky and a little harder to cycle. For me the 870 is smoother handling gun.

Deerdropper, I own both the REM. 870 and the NOVA. You may want to shoot a couple of boxes through a nova before you purshase one. I find the nova's to be a bit more bulky and a little harder to cycle. For me the 870 is smoother handling gun.

I agree with rch 3030 - the Nova seems thicker/boxer and not as smooth. That said I am buying my second Nova in a month or so ( a tactical). There is just something about the 870 that seems slicker. As for your 870 always rusting on you, there are still metal parts on the Nova that can rust if you do not take care of it. Good luck!