Big Game Hunters? SBEII or M2 Slug Gun?

Oregon Elk Hunter

From what I understand the SBEII slug gun is chambered for 3 1/2". That means you can't shoot 2 3/4" and there is only one 3 1/2" slug (Lightfield) on the market to my knowlege. I've hunted my whole life with slugs and found that 2 3/4" are more accurate than 3" with very little difference in velocity/energy. I would go for the m2 or SBE I. My SBE shoots 1-2" groups well past 100 yards and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on any North American big game (took it bear hunting in AK).

Bad info above.

The SBE II rifled slug gun is chambered for 3" shells. #10031, 10036, and 10131, all have 3" chambers. As does the M2, #11061 and 11141. Same for the original SBE's and M1's.

None of the rifled barreled Benellis in the 2004 catalog show acceptance of 3.5" slugs.

3.5" slugs, can be fired from the regular non-rifled SBE or SBE II barrel. Preferrably using a rifled choke tube for sabot, and IC or C if Fosters-type slugs are used.

For 3" slugs, any rifle barreled Benelli should work great.

I would buy the slug gun complete, and then buy and extra regular barrel later for ducks, turkeys, etc.

My SBE works well with 2.75" Winchester Platinum Tip sabots. I have tried some 3" sabots, but found the recoil affects my ability to control the patterns.

Part Golds work well also.

Most seasoned slug veterans shoot 2.75" for accurancy and control.

mudhen - CA

• 4 weeks later...

i shoot a sbe in iowa, where you can only use shot gun. i have tried many slugs and like the brenneke k.o. slug. 2 3/4 - 1 oz. they shoot great out of my sbe well over 100 yards. with a great knock down power. i to am a seasoned slug shooter, and by far this slug is the best that i have found , for the reasonable price. so if you are looking for a slug for your shot gun buy a box of each one and try it till you find the one you like the best. thats the best thing to do.

• 4 weeks later...

1. If I purchase a SBE II with a standard 28" barrel, and later buy a slug barrel for it, will I be able to shoot 2.75 and 3.0 inch slugs from it?

2. Can I shoot 2.75 and 3.0 slugs out of the standard SBE II 28" barrel?

3. Would I be better off buying an M2 if I wanted the ability to shoot slugs?

benellibill,

From Benelli's website:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/accessories-barrels.tpl

Add versatility to your Benelli shotgun with an extra barrel. Compliment your smooth-bore gun with an extra slug barrel or have the opportunity to switch barrel lengths from 24” to 26” to 28”, whichever fits your particular hunting needs. Extra barrels are available for all models. Rifled slug barrels are available for Super Black Eagle, Super Black Eagle II, M1 Field, M2 Field and Nova models only. (Slug barrels require a modified fore-end sold separately).

Regards threeshot

Originally posted by threeshot:

benellibill,

From Benelli's website:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/accessories-barrels.tpl

quote:
Add versatility to your Benelli shotgun with an extra barrel. Compliment your smooth-bore gun with an extra slug barrel or have the opportunity to switch barrel lengths from 24” to 26” to 28”, whichever fits your particular hunting needs. Extra barrels are available for all models. Rifled slug barrels are available for Super Black Eagle, Super Black Eagle II, M1 Field, M2 Field and Nova models only. (Slug barrels require a modified fore-end sold separately).

Regards threeshot

Threeshot:

My concern is the headspace with the SBE II, a gun that is chambered for a 3.5 inch shell shooting a 2.75 inch slug. That is a .75 inch difference. Will a 2.75 inch slug function properly in the SBE II. That's why I was wondering if I would be better off with an M2 that is chambered for a 3 inch shell.

Also, still wondering if I can shoot slugs out of the "non slug" standard 28 inch barrel.

Thanks for your previous response.

Bill

benellibill,

Sorry, I thought you were asking if you can get a slug barrel for the SBEII.

Also, still wondering if I can shoot slugs out of the "non slug" standard 28 inch barrel.
Yes. Do not use Sabot Slugs on smoothbore. Instead, use a Foster style rifled slug. Remington has one called Slugger Rifled Slug.

From Remington's Help section:

Q: What choke tubes are suggested for slugs?

A: If using a Foster style rifled slug like the Remington Slugger, we recommend an improved cylinder choke tube or our smooth bore rifle sighted deer barrel. For shooting sabot slugs a rifled choke tube should be installed. Optimal performance with sabot slugs will be from our fully rifled slug barrels.

Regarding your question of using 2.75" slug in a 3.5" SBEII.

Yes if you are using Foster style slug. No if you are using a Sabot slug.

From Lightfields FAQ:

Q: Why can't I shoot 2-3/4" slugs through my 3-1/2" chambered slug gun?

A: Firing a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is not recommended because of the length of the jump the slug makes between the end of a 2-3/4" case and the front end of a 3-1/2" chamber. This can cause misalignment of the sabot on the slug, thus causing a serious pressure problem as well as poor accuracy. Slugs are NOT LIKE SHOT SHELLS where a shorter shell can be safely fired in a longer chamber with no ill effects. The bottom line is you should use a shell with a minimum case length of 3" (ideally 3-1/2") in any 3-1/2" chambered rifled barrel for best accuracy. THE CASE LENGTH SHOULD MATCH THE CHAMBER LENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO SLUGS.

Regards threeshot

I find the Lightfields recommendation ambiguous.

The "bottom line" is that a 2 3/4" shell is 1/4" shorter than a 3" shell while a 3 1/2" shell is 1/2" longer.

I shoot 2 3/4" lightfields in my M1-90 slug gun. I don't like 3" slugs period. If they "recommend" you can shoot 3" shells in a 3 1/2" chamber,than a 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber should be safe as well and accurate too.

I know this is a bit off-topic but I am merely pointing out a bad recommendation on Lightfields part. The bold print statement in the last line of the "recommendation" contradicts the previous line in the "recommendation". At least that's the way I see it.

bootster,

It does seem confusing. However, I believe what Lightfield is to trying to convey is to not use Sabot slugs (used in fully rifled slug barrel or rifled choke tube) that do not match the chamber length of the gun for the reason they stated.

When using smooth bore barrels, this is not the case when using Rifled Slugs which do not have the sabot (plastic like cup around the slug).

Hope this clears-up any confusion.

Regards threeshot

[ 01-02-2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

O.K., I guess. Sounds like this is the concensus:

1. I can use a 2.75 inch rifled shotgun slug in a smoothbore even if it is chambered for a 3.5 inch shell.

2. I can probably shoot the 2.75 inch sabot out of the SBE II rifled barrel because the rifled barrel is chambered for a 3.0 inch shell, not a 3.5 inch.

It is all quite confusing to me. I wish Benelli would state it clearly in their material.

I'm leaning towards the M2 (3 inch) instead of the SBE II (3.5 inch) just to be safe. I really doubt if I would ever shoot a 3.5 inch anyway.

benellibill,

You got it except for # 2.

I can probably shoot the 2.75 inch sabot out of the SBE II rifled barrel because the rifled barrel is chambered for a 3.0 inch shell, not a 3.5 inch.
According to Lightfield, they recommend shooting Sabot shells that are the same length as the chamber.

To me, I would decide between the M2 and SBEII or any other model based on how it shouldered. Does the gun seem to align my sight down the barrel?

The M2 and SBEII come with shims to adjust the stock.

Will you be using the gun mainly for shot shells or slugs?

Just trying to give you some ideas of what to consider for your shotgun purchase besides the shot shell vs. slug.

Regards threeshot

Threeshot:

I'll be doing mostly upland, perhaps some waterfowl. Also intend to do turkey and deer. I'm a pretty average shot with a scattergun and have never felt totally at home with the fit. I shot an 870 my whole life and bought a beretta onyx o/u a while back. The o/u fit and felt fine compared to my 870. Now I am looking for a versatile, overall shotgun and the Benelli M2 in synthetic is what I am leaning towards. The M2 is light, and somewhat adjustable. I want synthetic because I am tired of freaking out about scratches in my wood stocks. I was also thinking perhaps of buying it as a slug gun because it is drilled and tapped for a scope (although realistically I probably will never mount a scope to it), and buy a 26" smooth barrel for it.

Thanks for your input