I heard a rumor...

Webfoot

I've heard that Benelli is going to release an updated, sort of speak, model of the SBE II this August. This new model is supposed to have some of the minor problems corrected from the previous release of SBE II's. I can't tell you what problems.

1) Is this true and what are some of the problems?

2) Is there a way to tell what release the gun is from?

I've decided to save some pennies and hold out for a Benelli. Now I have to decide if I want the original model or spend an extra couple hundred and get the II. What do you think?

Thanks

Have not heard a thing from the Benelli west coast rep about the new SBE III. I'll press him on it this week. I'll forward your post to him today.

But I doubt he would say much if they still have many SBE II's to sell.

So, maybe I'll just start an internet rumor that the SBE II has already been disco'ed.

That ought to get NelliGirl's interest.....

mudhen - CA

Might work better if he chucks the 1187 aside & tries the flame thrower technique with a lighter and WD-40 instead. The ducks will never know what hit 'em! Come down cooked and ready eat! Just make sure to keep the blind cover (grass/reeds) out of the way of the flame! :D

I've looked over my SBEII pretty good and compared it to the SBE and the main thing I see wrong is the **** swivel on the end cap. BAD design. I think flush chokes tubes are a joke as well, but I doubt tahts it. Interested in seeing more rumors.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Drundel:

I've looked over my SBEII pretty good and compared it to the SBE and the main thing I see wrong is the **** swivel on the end cap. BAD design. I think flush chokes tubes are a joke as well, but I doubt tahts it. Interested in seeing more rumors.

What;s wrong the the end cap swivel? Hush Swivels work wonderful on mine. I do agree about the chokes. Flush mount chokes, should be outlawed.

[ 06-26-2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: BLKLABMAN ]

I have a friend that has had trouble with his brand new SBE II not shooting straight. The gunsmith he took it to told him that he has heard the same trouble from many other people. This may be reason to change the design. He say the trouble may be with the cold treating of the barrels is causing them to shot a little off. His shot way high at twenty yards. This caused him to miss two turkeys before finding the problem. I have an older modle of the super black eagle and have had no problems with it no matter what I am shooting. but this may be the troubles that need to be fixed.

My SBE II shoots dead, dead, on. So have all my SBE's going back to 1991.

The Crio causing a gun to be 'off' is silly. I wish a gunsmith would just say 'I don't know' a little more often.

Your buddy deserved to lose the two toms for not patterning his gun prior to going afield. He caused the misses, not the gun. Guns don't miss, people miss....

Many do not know where to aim a Benelli shotgun to get it to hit where you want it to. I have patterned maybe 15 Benellis and all pattern turkey loads about the same. Maybe because I use the same choke type in all?

I aim at the base of the neck, and the pattern seems to cover the upper neck and head area evenly. If you aim at the top part of the head, you risk a miss, especially at close ranges when your pattern is so tight.

I won't say patterning a Benelli is easy. They are fickle. It took me 6-7 tubes + 4-5 different shells to figure out what my SBE II liked the best.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by bjtank:

I have a friend that has had trouble with his brand new SBE II not shooting straight. The gunsmith he took it to told him that he has heard the same trouble from many other people. This may be reason to change the design. He say the trouble may be with the cold treating of the barrels is causing them to shot a little off. His shot way high at twenty yards. This caused him to miss two turkeys before finding the problem. I have an older modle of the super black eagle and have had no problems with it no matter what I am shooting. but this may be the troubles that need to be fixed.

Have your friend check his gun mount. If he is looking straign down the barrel and not seeing rib or verry little then he should be dead on. If he is seeing to much rib then it will shoot high. If he is the other way then he would shoot low. This is if I have my info correct. Other wise it will be the other way around.

Mike :rolleyes:

It is all a mattter of gun fit.

Originally posted by Webfoot:

I've heard that Benelli is going to release an updated, sort of speak, model of the SBE II this August. This new model is supposed to have some of the minor problems corrected from the previous release of SBE II's. I can't tell you what problems.

I've decided to save some pennies and hold out for a Benelli. Now I have to decide if I want the original model or spend an extra couple hundred and get the II. What do you think?

Thanks

Originally posted by mudhen:

Have not heard a thing from the Benelli west coast rep about the new SBE III. I'll press him on it this week. I'll forward your post to him today.

mudhen - CA

Any word? smile.gif

Originally posted by Webfoot:

Thanks

There is NO Super Black Eagle III and as far as any minor problems there are none. This rumor is probably being spread by one of our competitor's reps.

Originally posted by hard-core_waterfowler:

it depends if you want to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells i would get the II because the sbe wont shoot supermag shells.

Both guns will shoot 3 1/2" shells of all kinds. That's why the original SBE became the gun of choice for so many waterfowlers when it was first introduced.