Ordering Nova Barrels

Ice Nine

This topic has probably been covered in the past, but I was unable to locate much information. Essentially, I have a Nova with the 18.5" barrel. I originally purchased the shotgun for home defense, but I would like to use it for upland birds and possibly waterfowl this winter. I'm leaning towards a 26" barrel, but I'm unable to locate a supplier that has any in stock. Could anyone help me locate an online merchant who carries replacement barrels for the Nova?

Thanks!

I found that one, but I was hoping to get a 26" barrel. I was afraid the 24" would not be versatile enough. I agree that a new barrel is almost the cost of the shotgun. I could buy a Mossberg 500 pump with a 28" barrel brand new for just under $200 -- effectively cheaper than the barrel for the Nova. Would this be a better way to go?

Originally posted by tucker301:

24" in stock

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/BenelliBarrels.htm

costs very near the price of a whole gun

I'd rather have a Benelli barrel and try to swat the birds than to shoot a Mossberg at them ;)

But given the availability, it may be something to consider.

Do a thorough check on gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, and gunsamerica.com before going that route.

Also, I'd go 870 Express before Mossberg.

I am certain your local benelli dealer can order you 1. Just before turkey season in PA I was looking for a 24". According to Hendershots in Wash County Benelli had 24 and 26 in stock. But with the cost consideration, I just bought another Nova for $299 from them

Before I posted, I checked all of the typical online sites and found virtually nothing. Is Benelli always this difficult to get aftermarket parts for? When I purchased my shotgun a few years ago, I had no idea this would be the case.

The reason I mentioned the Mossberg was due to the price. It was very cheap, but I suppose you get what you pay for. If I'm not mistaken, this dealer also had a Remington 870 Express for maybe $30-40 more. I'm beginning to feel like this might be the better way to go -- cheaper parts, better availabililty, etc. Opinions?

I really wanted another barrel for my Nova, though. I purchased and installed the mercury recoil reducer and I really like the way the gun shoots and fits my shoulder. Too bad finding a longer barrel is a needle in haystack affair. Do you have any experience ordering "out of stock" barrels from Cal's? I'm wondering how long the back order will take.

Originally posted by tucker301:

I'd rather have a Benelli barrel and try to swat the birds than to shoot a Mossberg at them ;)

But given the availability, it may be something to consider.

Do a thorough check on gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, and gunsamerica.com before going that route.

Also, I'd go 870 Express before Mossberg.

I would not order any parts from a Benelli dealer without first having a clear understanding that it would be delivered by a specific date or I would receive a full refund. And, it would be nice to be able to cancel the order and still get a refund if I found one elsewhere 30 days prior to their delivery date.

It's tough finding extra barrels and some other parts, I would not want to waste a lot of time and energy in placing orders without getting some firm delivery dates.

Their resistance to agree to such terms would only solidify my lack of confidence in their ability to deliver.

Inexpensive readily available parts are the exception, not the rule.

Sure Remington and Mossturd have lots of neat add-on items cheap, but consider the source. Have you really handled a Mossturd lately? Yeah that 835 is really a super gun.....

Browning, Benelli, Beretta, etc. barrels are all about $400 for the most part.

Forearms and stocks are also high ticket $$$$ items for the 'B' brands.

The trick is to buy the Benelli you want to start with, 'cuz a new barrel or forarm or stock is going to set you back plenty!!

I would keep your 18.5" for home d-fence, and buy a new 26" model for huntin'....

mudhen - CA

I realize this is off topic, but now I am curious as to why people are so down on Mossberg. Did they not have a military contract to supply shotguns to the US Forces until they were replaced by Benelli?

Originally posted by mudhen:

Inexpensive readily available parts are the exception, not the rule.

Sure Remington and Mossturd have lots of neat add-on items cheap, but consider the source. Have you really handled a Mossturd lately? Yeah that 835 is really a super gun.....

Browning, Benelli, Beretta, etc. barrels are all about $400 for the most part.

Forearms and stocks are also high ticket $$$$ items for the 'B' brands.

The trick is to buy the Benelli you want to start with, 'cuz a new barrel or forarm or stock is going to set you back plenty!!

I would keep your 18.5" for home d-fence, and buy a new 26" model for huntin'....

mudhen - CA

I have a Bushmaster M4-type rifle with an EOTech holosight that is currently my primary home defense weapon. Also, I like the idea of saving space by just buying a barrel instead of another shotgun. If I'm in a position where I have to buy another shotgun just to have a longer barrel for hunting, I'll probably skip Benelli and get something cheaper that has more readily available aftermarket parts and accessories. Both Mossberg and Remington seem to have very reasonably priced and quite readily available offerings in this area.

As it stands, I'm looking at probably $210 for a barrel and the only one readily available online appears to be a 24". My feelings are that this is really too short for my needs, and that a 26" or 28" barrel would suit me better. I'm leaning towards the Mossberg to be honest. For the money, I can't find a better deal anywhere.

Originally posted by sbeIIfan:

I would deffinatly keep the barrel! The barrel is fine. Dont buy a $250 barrel it is a waste of $$! Question why would u get a long barrel for home defense? wouldnt u want a small barrel to enter rooms and go around corners and obsticles?

Understood. I assume that you're looking for a higher level of finish and refinement? I'm just looking for a reasonably priced hunting shotgun (with available and reasonably priced parts and accessories) and it seems like the Mossberg may be it. Everything I've been able to determine indicates they're great budget guns as well as being very robust and reliable. Thanks!

Umm, I thought I was pretty clear on my opinion of M-turd.

The quality is just not there, poor fit, poor finish, I just have no interest in owning one......

mudhen - CA

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nova and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if I needed to replace mine, but I don't want to buy another one just to get a longer barrel. If I have to do that, I feel that I should buy another make of shotgun (within the price confines of the barrel itself) out of principal!

Seriously, though, are Mossbergs that bad from a usability standpoint? We're talking a beater shotgun here, not an heirloom to pass down to grandchildren.

Thanks again! :D

I won't attempt to sway you - you obviously have made up your mind - but there is a reason Benelli sells every gun as fast as they can make them :cool:

It sounds like a Mossy will fit your needs quite well.....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out of www.benelliusa.com

mudhen - CA

Mossbergs aren't that bad of a gun. The 500 series models are kinda cheap, but generally you get what you pay for. I've had an M590A1for several years and its as sturdy as a rock. I treat it rough and it keeps on ticking. If your going to get a Mossberg spend the extra money and get a parkerized finish. The 590 is just as reliable as the 870 I own in my oppionon. On a different topic I wouldn't recomment using .223 for home protection! That load has far to much velocity, you'll end up killing some kid a 1/2 mile away. Stick with a shotgun for your home defense. No two ways about it.

• 2 months later...

first off i have 2 m-bergs. and have had both of them for 10 years and longer, use to hunt birds and have them set up w/ rifled slug barrels, and can knock a deer on it's a.. at 120 yds or less. it all in the ammo.

i am looking for a turkey barrel for my benelli as i bought mine w/ a bent barrel (paid 100.00 for it )

i found a 26in barrel on gunbroker.com for 230.00 including shipping.

remingtons are good i own a 7400 270 cal and a 760 pump,and wouldn't trade them for anything.

andy

Ice Nine, Not trying to deterr your pruchase of the Mossberg but many people simply arn't happy with them for fit and function reasons. Before you buy a mossy or remington spend a few moments handling your nova, cycle it, shoulder it, commit it to your memory. Then go out and do the same with one of the other guns.

When it comes to upland birds Mossberg swings like a fence post compared to any Benelli.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a Benelli Nova Pump Combo at the local gander mountain. They had all barrels in stock and to choose from. the vented ribbed field barrels I'm thinking were around 185$. This is pricy i know because i have been saving for this gun quite awhile. On the other hand GM had a very nice selection of Remington's, Winchester's, Mossberg's and other assorted guns. I believe Benelli has the smoothest pump shotgun all around, and the most well working and functioning pump shotgun. the thought that comes to mind though is that if you are not rich, as myself i admit i am not, then the question comes what functions do I need as a hunter on this gun? Well Benelli's, Remington's, Winchester's, and Mossberg's all do the same thing and that is shoot slugs and shot. so what i would suggest is that if u want to spend your money on a new barrel that is your decision, if you want to buy a new gun that is also your decision. But if you are on a budget the smartest move is to buy a cheaper gun, my brother owns a Rem.870Wingmaster and i have seen him dump a deer at 100yrds with slugs, and shoot birds with plenty of knockdown power using 2 3/4 inch shells. This gun was passed to him through my dad who bought this gun back in the 70's and it is still very well functioning. Once again though it is your decision on what to buy and you should use your own beliefs, and opinions when selecting a gun, not just from some one saying whether or not which gun brand they think is the best

A cheaper alternative is to have the barrel threaded for screw-in choke tubes. That can usually be done for about $75 plus the cost of the tubes. Of course, if your 18.5 inch barrel is the "Tactical" model with ghost ring sights, you have the problem of sights on a gun you want to use for upland game and waterfowl - not an ideal combination.

i purchased a mossy auto loader from someone who was hard up for some cash last year. the gun was new only about 500 rounds through it when i bought it. i used it for one season dove/quail and just didnt have any luck with it. it would jam 1 every 10 shots or so unless i specifically remembered to really stiffen up my shoulder. at the time i was about 150lbs and it became a real pita i ended up using nitro shells the last half of the season. so i sold it last week and just bought a nova 12ga and a rem 870 youth 20ga for my wife. i wanted to get her a nova also but the youth was still too long. i just got them yesterday and have not had a chance to shoot them yet i cant wait. that's my m-berg story