SBE II - Left Hand config and comfortech questions

m2fun

I am deciding on a left hand semi-auto 3.5 mag capable shotgun for my son. Sort of short list from my research.

In researching the SBE II left, the trigger group is the same as the right hand configuration (loaded chamber indicator and bolt release on the right side). I assume the safety is switched for the left hand use.

Question 1 - (being right handed) is, with the right hand trigger group (loaded chamber indicator and bolt release on the right side of the receiver) are these comfortable/easy to use as a left hand shooter?

Question 2 - comfortech recoil results - are they really that noticeable? I shoot an Extrema, with light 1 oz. trap loads to 3.5" hevishot, it eats up the recoil and functions fine. That is my comparison point. But since Beretta does not make a left hand configuration.......

Left hand right hand thing.................keep telling my kids to shoot right handed, oh, well.....!

BTW - I have stepped to the SBE dark side with a wood/blue SBE II, just need to figure the loading issue out before dove season in Sept.!

[ 08-25-2006, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: m2fun ]

Answer 1 - I shoot a LH SBEII after years of using RH guns from the "wrong" side.

The safety is setup for LH use, and I never have a problem with the bolt release.

Answer 2 - I'm not convinced that the Comfortech system dampens recoil all that much, but it's a nice stock. it's definitely going to pucnh harder than the Xtrema2, but I never notice the recoil when shooting at greenheads and honkers.

I'm left handed but have shot right handed guns all my life and have never had any problems with the bolt release being on the right side. I have both an M2 wood and Comfortech and have noticed a slight difference in the amount of muzzle jump with the Comfortech; it seems like the comfortech has a little less recoil, but that could be because the gun doesn't jump up as much as the wood.

I noticed that you metioned shooting 1oz trap loads, if you do alot of trap shooting you might want to stay away from the SBE II because light trap loads can cause some jamming problems. I used to have an SBE I and it was fine with factory 1 1/8 oz loads but jammed once in awhile with my lighter 1 1/8 oz reloads and it rarely worked with anything less than 1 1/8, whereas the Extrema is a little more versatle because it is gas operated. if you mainly just want to use the gun for hunting then I would definantly get the SBE II, I think its a much more durable gun than the Extrema .If you really would have the Extrema 2 I think the safety can be reversed from right to left handed.

Also, I would advise against trying to make a left handed person shoot right handed or vice versa because it will cause a cross dominance problem with their eyes and really screw up their shooting. But, if the person's dominant eye is opposite of the side that they favor to use then I would teach them to shoot on the side that has the dominant eye.

[ 08-25-2006, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: gunner76 ]

Originally posted by gunner76:

I'm left handed but have shot right handed guns all my life and have never had any problems with the bolt release being on the right side. I have both an M2 wood and Comfortech and have noticed a slight difference in the amount of muzzle jump with the Comfortech; it seems like the comfortech has a little less recoil, but that could be because the gun doesn't jump up as much as the wood.

I noticed that you metioned shooting 1oz trap loads, if you do alot of trap shooting you might want to stay away from the SBE II because light trap loads can cause some jamming problems. I used to have an SBE I and it was fine with factory 1 1/8 oz loads but jammed once in awhile with my lighter 1 1/8 oz reloads and it rarely worked with anything less than 1 1/8, whereas the Extrema is a little more versatle because it is gas operated. if you mainly just want to use the gun for hunting then I would definantly get the SBE II, I think its a much more durable gun than the Extrema .If you really would have the Extrema 2 I think the safety can be reversed from right to left handed.

Also, I would advise against trying to make a left handed person shoot right handed or vice versa because it will cause a cross dominance problem with their eyes and really screw up their shooting. But, if the person's dominant eye is opposite of the side that they favor to use then I would teach them to shoot on the side that has the dominant eye.

Tucker301 - Gunner76

Thanks for the info. I am convinced the LH shotgun is necessary. The eye dominance, natural mechanics of shooting left handed, comfort, and ease have proven that point rifle shooting for him.

I could go with the SBEII in wood/blue or SBEII in synthetic, I have access to a synthetic for $1059 but the camo/comfortech are $1400.

I personally like the look of the wood/blue, nice light and classic looking.