Very Stiff SBE II Safety

threeshot

Getting my safety repaired was smooth and easy !!

An email to C.Day, a response with an addy followed. I chose to UPS Red the trigger, the received it the next day. Trigger was fixed and the package returned via UPS Red the same day they received it !!! Awesome !!

Thanks for the great service C.Day !!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 15 years later...

I purchased a beautiful 828U. The safety it so hard to disengage I cannot do it without gloves. I sent the gun back to Benelli....they had it for Bout 2 months and it came back exactly like I sent it to them. I love the gun but without a fix for the HARD safety I will be forced to trade.

Thank You  in advance for any help you can render.

I just picked mine up and its fine- I will say this out of the box the gun was very tight assembly/disassembly . I went and shot 300 rounds out of it and gun has loosened up a bit. I would put a fine drop of oil on it switch it back and forth numerous times and shoot some rounds out of it- I got to say this is the finest o/u I have ever shot in my life and I have shot a lot of em. It is an incredible gun. Out of the box mine is a complete beast. I have no idea why on the web they say this gun kicks- I shot 2.75 and 3 in and my black eagle kicks a lot harder than this beauty!! I LOVE IT!!

Thanks for the quick response. I did have the gun in the dove field this past year and, due in great part to a fine shotgun, shot my limit on both of the first 2 outings. Yes...it is one sweet weapon! I was extremely careful while leaving the gun off safe, as I could not disengage the safety quick enough when a bird came in range. There is another variable...I’m 65 and having fought cancer 3 times I’m a mere shell of the man I once was. I will try try your remedy and see what I can do. Thanks Again!

• 3 weeks later...

Matine1 - I have the same issue on an 828U.  My daughter can't move the safety lever and it takes me some good pushing.  I pulled the auto safety as well.  Wasn't that.  But if you look at the under side of the safety lever with the trigger group out and work it back and forth you can see studs on both sides that ride under spring arms.  If you slide those arms to the side the safety switch slides back and forth smoothly as it should.  However, they won't stay to the side, so the springs are just too stiff.  I'm still trying to figure out if I can just bend them ever so slightly, either to the side or up.  I haven't seen any fixes anywhere else.

Matine1 - with a needlenose I was able to move those spring ends to the side (not bent, just moved).  Because they are so stiff they go all the way down beside the slide and seem to be staying there.  Now the studs on the side of the safety slide push them apart and they come back together as it slides forward, still applying some pressure to hold the safety switch in place.  I'm going to shoots some clays and see if the recoil moves the safety selector but I think those stiff springs will still hold it.  That's clearly the issue though.

I’m back after a week long stay in the hospital. A tick bite, of all things! Not Lyme disease, but Anaplasmosis. They just about lost me. 

Anyhow, I did remove the auto-safety mechanism, and I agree....that made no difference. I think I will trade for a left hand Super Black Eagle III, after I spend some time reading reviews.

in the meantime I will tinker with the safety on this one. Thanks for staying with me on this topic.

reggie~Semper Fidelis 

I agree, but as we live in the age of litigation, I suspect finding a  smithy that will touch a safety mechanism will be a tall order. I have always been a proponent for letting the professional exercise their skills regardless of the subject matter, so I will Do the same now. (It would be great for Benelli to chime in about now!)

kindest Regards, Reggie~Semper Fidelis 

• 4 months later...

From the time I purchased my 12 ga. SBE my safety has been dangerously “soft”. With the shotgun  I purchased an ER Shaw custom slug barrel for deer hunting a couple of years before Benelli offered them for sale. This I thought would make for a “do all” hunting arm. I have to be especially aware of the safety position, as early on I have found it very easy to get into the fire position. Until I searched for info. On a soft or “bad” SBE safety, I never heard of the stiff safety problems. I am about to slip a small “O” ring onto the safety button to see if that would keep it on safe till I slip it off to fire the gun. Or actually install a stiffer spring ! Very strange !????????